PF9 vs Sig P238 carry (regarding comfortableness)

This is a discussion on PF9 vs Sig P238 carry (regarding comfortableness) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For appendix carry, what would you guys prefer? I know one is sa another dao but I'm talking about dimension and weight wise. Of course ...

View Poll Results: Which pistol

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • PF9

8 36.36%
  • P238

14 63.64%

For appendix carry, what would you guys prefer?

I know one is sa another dao but I'm talking about dimension and weight wise. Of course caliber wise, pf9 wins...

So, what you guys think?

Let's assume person is an average build person

I haven't any experience with the P238, but I now carry the PF-9 as my ED carry. I used to carry a 1911 or a G-30. After looking at other 9mm's I selected the PF-9 for its light weight, thinness, and over-all size and DAO action. Besides being very accurate, I've found it to be very reliable. With its size it disappears in an appendix carry holster.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Ron
    PF-9 is now my EDC, as well for the same reasons. Mine has been reliable for over 800 rounds.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I've wondered this myself. If one looks at

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.jpg

One sees that there isn't a significant advantage in carrying a P238 over a PF9. The difference is more significant if we're talking about a LCP/P3AT vs. a PF9, though. The PF9 actually has the advantage as far as thinness, though... although that could be due to the P238's thumb safety if that is included in the measurement (it probably is).

P238 is a great option, though. It's just that if one looks at it strictly rationally, it's tough to justify since there doesn't seem to be enough of an advantage. Even weight seems to be about equal between the two. Might as well go with the bigger caliber.

disclaimer: everything I said was based on a numbers comparison. I have no personal experience with either firearm.

I don't know how anyone can say there is an advantage to carrying a .380 to a 9mm. The pf9 hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I've wondered this myself. If one looks at
    http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.jpg
    One sees that there isn't a significant advantage in carrying a P238 over a PF9. . although that could be due to the P238's thumb safety if that is included in the measurement (it probably is).

P238 is a great option, though. Even weight seems to be about equal between the two. Might as well go with the bigger caliber.
    Sig must never look at their own website. I own a Sig 238 and it is not anywhere near 1.1" thick. I have no idea where that number came from. I measured mine and it is .8" thick at the widest part, the safety. I used calipers. I don't have a PF-9 but I do have a PM-9 and I'll say there is no comparison in feel. Forget the .5" here, and the .25" there, the Sig feels MUCH smaller than the Kahr. I actually surprised myself by putting them side by side, I would have sworn the Sig was MUCH smaller. The Sig will drop in my pocket, the Kahr won't. (in the interest of disclosure, I carry a Seecamp, smaller is better to me.)

I have a P380 and that's smaller than the P238, but def huge diff between P238 and PM9...

that's still an impressive thinnes though, compared to .380s (the PF9)

I went with the PF9 because it is so flat.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I just picked up the all black version of the P238 a couple weeks ago....was doing the same comparison. I've got a whole wall full of blue guns and found myself constantly handling the 238 because of it's size. I generally carry a Kimber Ultra CDPII or a S&W J-frame. But, I decided I shouldn't constantly change up what I carry. The objective was consistency. Therefore, I'll carry the same firearm in warm weather as in cold. Given my frame and body shape, a small framed gun works out best. And I also choose to carry on the front of my right hip.

Links