S&W 629-1 durability?

S&W 629-1 durability?

This is a discussion on S&W 629-1 durability? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How's it going everyone? It's been awhile, hope all is well. I'm thinking about a 629-1 3" and I wondering if it's durable enough to ...

Thread: S&W 629-1 durability?

S&W 629-1 durability?

How's it going everyone? It's been awhile, hope all is well. I'm thinking about a 629-1 3" and I wondering if it's durable enough to handle some stout .44MAG ammo. I'll probably use mostly heavy .44SPL ammo but when in the woods in bear country I want to take it up a notch to the .44MAG. Any information you guys may have will be grately appreciated. Thanks!!!

Trebla

Quote Originally Posted by Trebla View Post
    How's it going everyone? It's been awhile, hope all is well. I'm thinking about a 629-1 3" and I wondering if it's durable enough to handle some stout .44MAG ammo. I'll probably use mostly heavy .44SPL ammo but when in the woods in bear country I want to take it up a notch to the .44MAG. Any information you guys may have will be grately appreciated. Thanks!!!

Trebla
    It will be fine with factory or sammi spec mag ammo.

It won't be as durable as a Ruger would be, but if you take care of it and don't hot rod it....too much, you should be fine.

May want to double check your side plate screws every couple outings to make sure they aren't loose.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    It won't be as durable as a Ruger would be, but if you take care of it and don't hot rod it....too much, you should be fine.

May want to double check your side plate screws every couple outings to make sure they aren't loose.
    Do you have any evidence to back this claim up? or is it just your opinion?

Smith & Wesson's revolvers are Classics and are most reliable. (time proves this claim)
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Your 629 will be just fine with magnum rds. Trebla. It's a rugged handgun.

BTW, have you considered a 4" barrel for a bit more accuracy and muzzle velocity?
    Last edited by Coltman 77; November 16th, 2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Additional Info.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    Your 629 will be just fine with magnum rds. Trebla.

BTW, have you considered a 4" barrel ?

The 629-1 I'm looking at has a 3" barrel and I kinda lean towards the 3 inchers. Plus the price is very attractive. If I get it I'm hoping it's a Lew Horton.

They're built for magnum loads.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

dee
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebla View Post

Trebla
    I know some guides and if it was me i would carry a Heavy HardCast bullet most guide's do. It will give deep penetration and shatter bone's and all. Just a suggestion i have from listening to some guide's point of view. The've shown me pics of cougars weighing around 200#. The young'er cougar of the Big One i mentioned has a trail cam photo of it dragging a rather large buck. But bears are a whole different creature, Some carry a .45LC with ammo i mentioned. Just trying to help you be Safe, Have yourself a good time. If you do not reload DoubleTap and Buffalo Bore has some good ammo.

I hammered a Model 29-2 with heavy .44 Magnum loads for several seasons of metallic silhouette shooting and it has never bobbled. That Model 629-1 will be fine.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Smith's can take a pounding, I have 3 629's going back all the way to a no dash from 1980 and they all do just fine.

Ruger's are cast and Smith's are forged, better materials don't need the extra thickness up top. Plus the trigger is nicer on a Smith.
    I'm your Huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I hammered a Model 29-2 with heavy .44 Magnum loads for several seasons of metallic silhouette shooting and it has never bobbled. That Model 629-1 will be fine.
    +1 to the above. I too shot a Model 29 (with 8 3/8 in barrel) for several season of metallic silhouette using .44 mag handloads without any problems. Gun still looks and feels like new. It is a classic and a keeper.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I have a 629 4" and Trust me it can handle it!!! S&W makes the best wheel guns on the planet. I have put my 629 through some very hot reloads and it survived in fine shape.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I have a 3" 629-1, which I occasionally carry. I can tell you that the gun will likely outlast your hand if you choose to shoot lots of hot .44 mags through it. That little gun is mighty jumpy with hot ammo. I usually keep mine loaded with Speer Short Barrel Magnum loads, running a 200gr. Gold Dot at around 1050 fps., as I recall, from the short tube. Very controllable, at a velocity you could achieve easily in .44 Special brass, if you choose to do so.

i love the 29s and have shot them for many years. the last two just didn't last, they was always going out of time and spitting jackets into the left side of my face, thats after about 500 rounds. the first was a blued steel model i bought in the late 80s. i would send it in and when i got it back it would do the same thing. after the third time they sent me a new 629. that worked for a while then shooting some corbons 240grn a piece of jacket hit me in the face and stuck in my face. i dug it out and sent it back with the gun. they sent the gun back, i test fired it and sold it. i now shoot rugers but surely miss the S&Ws. before that i shot them for years with no issues.

I too bought a 629 (4") a few months back. I too have heard that the pre -5 29's and 629's had a "durability" problem. Before buying mine, I decided to call "The Man" himself. Alright, somebody at S&W. They confirmed that the older guns should not be shot with anything over 240gr and/or very hot loads "FOR AN EXTENDED AMOUNT OF TIME AND/OR FREQUENCY".
    That is from the people that made the guns, not just me. Call them anytime you like to confirm this confirmation. Since I have no intentions of shooting ultra hot loads, I bought a 1983 (actually I am forgetting the exact year just now) 629-1 and haven't had any problems with any store bought ammo. I use mine mostly for shooting light-medium reloaded mags and very light specials for PPC shooting.
    Just buy it! They are Great guns!
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

Sponsored Links