LCP magazine extension (+1 round for 7+1 instead of factory 6+1)

This is a discussion on LCP magazine extension (+1 round for 7+1 instead of factory 6+1) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone ever used one of these little jewels from Impact Guns to extend the factory LCP magazine from 6 rounds to 7? http://beta.impactguns.com/IMPLCP1-i...extension.aspx It looks ...

Thread: LCP magazine extension (+1 round for 7+1 instead of factory 6+1)

LCP magazine extension (+1 round for 7+1 instead of factory 6+1)

Anyone ever used one of these little jewels from Impact Guns to extend the factory LCP magazine from 6 rounds to 7?

http://beta.impactguns.com/IMPLCP1-i...extension.aspx

It looks like a very sensible and simple way to get one more round into a small gun without adding very much in bulk or weight. Not sure if it would allow my pinky finger to get involved in gripping the handle or not, but not sure that it needs to.

Solid and sturdy construction?
    Any FTF problems?
    Other issues?

I note they are exclusive manufacturer and distributor, and they are also out of stock...is this because of problems or is it such a hot seller? I dropped them a note and am waiting reply.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
    It looks like a very sensible and simple way to get one more round into a small gun without adding very much in bulk or weight.
    I feel like the only time you want an LCP is when you are consciously willing to sacrifice firepower for something extremely concealable. It doesn't add much bulk or weight but it would make a big difference in printability, and one extra shot really doesn't make much difference in terms of firepower. Sometimes it's hard not to play the "worst case game"...but seriously, nobody plans for the worst case. The worst case scenario is an atomic bomb falls on your head and a gun won't save you. Or you get attacked by 20 gangsters with full auto machine guns. Yeah...it's pretty pointless to even think about "the worst" case. Realistically speaking, the worst case is just that you have to pull it out and threaten someone to back off...and 6 works just as well as 7. In the extremely rare worst case that you do have to fire shots, either 6 or 7 is plenty for dealing with 1 assailant...and if there are multiple assailants, all armed and shooting at you, you're probably SOL no matter what.

Well that's my PERSONAL opinion, and I won't ever carry backup mags, but a lot of people do...and if you want to carry a backup mag, that would be a good choice.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    I feel like the only time you want an LCP is when you are consciously willing to sacrifice firepower for something extremely concealable. It doesn't add much bulk or weight but it would make a big difference in printability, and one extra shot really doesn't make much difference in terms of firepower. Sometimes it's hard not to play the "worst case game"...but seriously, nobody plans for the worst case. The worst case scenario is an atomic bomb falls on your head and a gun won't save you. Or you get attacked by 20 gangsters with full auto machine guns. Yeah...it's pretty pointless to even think about "the worst" case. Realistically speaking, the worst case is just that you have to pull it out and threaten someone to back off...and 6 works just as well as 7. In the extremely rare worst case that you do have to fire shots, either 6 or 7 is plenty for dealing with 1 assailant...and if there are multiple assailants, all armed and shooting at you, you're probably SOL no matter what.

Well that's my PERSONAL opinion, and I won't ever carry backup mags, but a lot of people do...and if you want to carry a backup mag, that would be a good choice.

I have the same question as you do JoeyD... sorry i can't answer it, but why the heck wouldn't you want another round to work with?. if it adds enough room to fit that pinky on it's not adding much more then a pinkys width length to the grip so i don't think its going to make the already INCREDIBLY concealable LCP all of a sudden that much more not concealable. In my carry class the instructor discussed people not even really remembering how many shots they fired when defending themselves. if you saved your life and didn't remember if you fired 7 or 8 shots and it was 8, maybe that 8th shot was the life saving shot. of course there are infinite situations we could talk about but........anyone actually use one of these yet hahaha

I don't own an LCP, so take this for what it's worth...I do have a Bersa Thunder DLX. The DLX has an extended mag much like the one you are discussing. In the case of the Bersa, it makes no difference in concealabilty but it does give me a 9+1 capacity.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

I would not trust such a thing unless it also came with a longer replacement mag spring. The mag spring was not made for the extra length, and might not feed reliably. JMHO.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Got a reply back to my question to Impact Guns.

My Message:
    I see your Impact Ruger LCP +1 Grip Extension is out of stock. How long for backorder to be filled? Do you have any testimonials from previous purchasers? Looks like a good idea and implementation. Any problems with it?

Their Reply:
    We should be getting more in the next week or two. They are a great addition for an LCP. I have them on my LCP magazines and I love them. It really helps to control the gun, and it's a nice bonus that the mag will hold an extra round.

Didn't tell me much more than I already knew, except I won't have to wait too long on it if I order one. I think I'll get one and try it out but will give it a good test on the range before deciding whether to make it a permanent part of my LCP.

Thank you 10thmtn for the comment about the mag spring length. If it has any kind of feed problem it'll likely be in the last round or two, and I'll pay particular attention for any issues there while I have it on the range. In fact, I plan to repeatedly load one solo round in the mag to see how it performs. If there's any doubt, it's coming off.

Thanks for comments!

Let us know how it turns out. Some folks have reported issues with the Pearce +1 and +2 mag grip extensions for the reason I gave - they needed to get a longer mag spring for reliable feeding.

Good luck - would be cool if it works!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I own an LCP, and use the Impact Guns +1 mag extensions. They work perfectly, add 1 to the mag, but do not effect carrying in a pocket holster. No, the spring length is not an issue. They are out of stock because everyone wants them. They have been used and discussed extensively on another forum by LCP owners, with no negative remarks.
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    I feel like the only time you want an LCP is when you are consciously willing to sacrifice firepower for something extremely concealable. It doesn't add much bulk or weight but it would make a big difference in printability, and one extra shot really doesn't make much difference in terms of firepower. Sometimes it's hard not to play the "worst case game"...but seriously, nobody plans for the worst case. The worst case scenario is an atomic bomb falls on your head and a gun won't save you. Or you get attacked by 20 gangsters with full auto machine guns. Yeah...it's pretty pointless to even think about "the worst" case
    I don't carry a very small pistol for the extra conceal-ability - I have a carry permit - so it is not the end of the world if someone figures out I have a gun. It is not like I am embedded into a deep cover police operation. I do care about weight though.

I normally carry a G19 or HK P7. I am a fan of a grip which your hand fits, and that is why I never liked the G26. When I run, I find the weight of the G19 to be too much - it bounces up and down. An LCP is 12 oz loaded, and that makes it good for running - but I feel under-gunned. The main reason why I feel under gunned is not the number of rounds. It is not the 380. It is not even the short sight radius. Believe it or not, it is the tiny grip. I am thinking that this mag extension will make the grip feel more normal without adding significant weight. I at least want it for one magazine and if I need a smaller size, I would use the smaller magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    I don't carry a very small pistol for the extra conceal-ability - I have a carry permit - so it is not the end of the world if someone figures out I have a gun. It is not like I am embedded into a deep cover police operation. I do care about weight though.

I normally carry a G19 or HK P7. I am a fan of a grip which your hand fits, and that is why I never liked the G26. When I run, I find the weight of the G19 to be too much - it bounces up and down. An LCP is 12 oz loaded, and that makes it good for running - but I feel under-gunned. The main reason why I feel under gunned is not the number of rounds. It is not the 380. It is not even the short sight radius. Believe it or not, it is the tiny grip. I am thinking that this mag extension will make the grip feel more normal without adding significant weight. I at least want it for one magazine and if I need a smaller size, I would use the smaller magazine.
    I have used these +1 extensions on my EDC LCP for about 2+ years. I found that by using the longer spring from the Kel Tec P3AT+1 kit, they give 100% reliability, addressing 10thMtns concerns.

With the stock length LCP spring, i did have some FTF's, as the spring really did not have enough tension IMO.

Links