Glock ftf2 Compacts vs Glock rtf2 Fullsize i

This is a discussion on Glock ftf2 Compacts vs Glock rtf2 Fullsize i within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was told today that the rtf2 is more aggressive on the compact glocks like the 19 as to the fullsize glock 17 and 21. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock ftf2 Compacts vs Glock rtf2 Fullsize i

Glock ftf2 Compacts vs Glock rtf2 Fullsize i

I was told today that the rtf2 is more aggressive on the compact glocks like the 19 as to the fullsize glock 17 and 21. I want to order one for carry so i need some who have the texture in the compact and a fullsize. I know of some who carry the 19rtf2 and like it alot and some who don't like it at all. No local shops have any for me to compare. So did the tech. inform me correctly? If so i'll order the 17rtf2 and not the 19rtf2. Thanks

Sorry about the typo on thread opener.

2. Remove Ads

The finish is the same for the full size and compacts. The grip finish is too aggressive. People have complained about shirts getting chewed up. On the RTF2 I handled it had the fish scale serrations. They cut them the wrong way. I noticed they had a better grip when you were trying to take the slide off than when you were trying to rack the slide. When racking the slide I found the fish scales had less grip than the normal vertical serrations on the Gen 3 Glocks. Personally I'd get a Gen 3 and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    The finish is the same for the full size and compacts. The grip finish is too aggressive. People have complained about shirts getting chewed up. On the RTF2 I handled it had the fish scale serrations. They cut them the wrong way. I noticed they had a better grip when you were trying to take the slide off than when you were trying to rack the slide. When racking the slide I found the fish scales had less grip than the normal vertical serrations on the Gen 3 Glocks. Personally I'd get a Gen 3 and call it good.
    Thanks for the quick reply. i appreciate the info. You saved me from possibly buying something i would not like. Probably a reason glock stopped production. Plus i don't need to be buying new shirts. Thanks again

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Like Rem79 mentioned, the RTF2 is mostly found on the short run of G22s with the chevroned slide grooves. The RTF2 was essentially a test and was found to be too aggressive (wearing on clothing, chafing). I handled it a few times and don't think I would have cared for an extende3d range session without wearing gloves. The RTF on the Gen 4 production models is toned down and more comfortable. Much of the complaining about the "RTF" texture is actually the RTF2 and many of those who complained haven't bothered to handle the more subdued GEN 4 RTF.

My suggestion is to handle the current Gen 4 models before getting concerned about replacing wardrobes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Like Rem79 mentioned, the RTF2 is mostly found on the short run of G22s with the chevroned slide grooves. The RTF2 was essentially a test and was found to be too aggressive (wearing on clothing, chafing). I handled it a few times and don't think I would have cared for an extende3d range session without wearing gloves. The RTF on the Gen 4 production models is toned down and more comfortable. Much of the complaining about the "RTF" texture is actually the RTF2 and many of those who complained haven't bothered to handle the more subdued GEN 4 RTF.

My suggestion is to handle the current Gen 4 models before getting concerned about replacing wardrobes.
    Thanks, also i was merely joking about buying new shirts. I like to shoot +9+ and thought like already stated a long range session might be a little much.
    The gen4's texture i have held and thought it's a very good compromise just comfortable. Thanks

I handled a G19 RTF2 just this afternoon and it was extremely abrasive against my hands. Granted in a high stress situation (i.e. police shootout) the grip would be beneficial since you wouldn't feel anything due to adrenaline but for EDC and range use I think it would be too much. When I finally get the money scraped together for another handgun, it'll be the Gen 3 G19. Cheers!
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: Hot Damn! What a Ride!

Gen3 G19
    Taurus TCP
    Ruger 22/45

I may be in the minority, but the RTF2 on my Glock 19 is hands down my favorite grip texture on any handgun. I usually wear a shirt between my Glock and my skin, so the texture hasn't really bothered me.

Thanks for all the help i bought a G19gen3 and G17gen3 and found a real prize a G34OD. All feel great but the 34 with the longslide feels so well and balanced. i'll post some range results when the weather clears. All the dealers don't stock any rtf's just the gen4's. Again thanks to all.

RKM
    My Cosuin has a Gen3 G19 with RTF. I personally don't like it. I think they had it perfect with the original Gen3's

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I have a 19, 22, & 23 all RTF2's...I took some 600 grit sandpaper and tamed the polymoids a bit. It's still very tacky, but doesn't cause a rash!
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    My Cosuin has a Gen3 G19 with RTF. I personally don't like it. I think they had it perfect with the original Gen3's
    Rich, i have to agree Thanks

I own a Glock G23RTF2 with gills and love the pistol. They are now rare pistols and I will never sell or trade it.

A lot of the police departments in hot & humid locations like the RTF2 frame because of a better grip.

My guess is the the curved serrations (gills) take longer to machine than straight ones and no, Glock would NOT put them on backwards.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy McC View Post
    I own a Glock G23RTF2 with gills and love the pistol. They are now rare pistols and I will never sell or trade it.

A lot of the police departments in hot & humid locations like the RTF2 frame because of a better grip.

My guess is the the curved serrations (gills) take longer to machine than straight ones and no, Glock would NOT put them on backwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I may be in the minority, but the RTF2 on my Glock 19 is hands down my favorite grip texture on any handgun. I usually wear a shirt between my Glock and my skin, so the texture hasn't really bothered me.
    Alll that goes for me too. My G17 RFT2 is my go-to Glock - I love the gun and the grip effect. As far as I'm concerned the RTF2 is the best thing that's happened to a Glock in a long, long time.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    I have a 19, 22, & 23 all RTF2's...I took some 600 grit sandpaper and tamed the polymoids a bit. It's still very tacky, but doesn't cause a rash!
    Good idea, i've seen some post were others did the same. Plus i called my Armorer today about some sights and he said he just sold the last rtf2 he could receive but the texture will tone down some with use. Congrats on the rtf2's few remain. Plus the County Sheriff's here use the 21sfrtf2 . That would be a very nice .45. I have the 20sf and 21sf's with Glock night sights.BTW the Glock night sights are not being put on civilian glocks anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Alll that goes for me too. My G17 RFT2 is my go-to Glock - I love the gun and the grip effect. As far as I'm concerned the RTF2 is the best thing that's happened to a Glock in a long, long time.
    I ordered one like yours today. It says RTF2 but the pics had serrated/gills. Some have the gills and some don't. Anyway i hope i like it as you do, thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links