new carry gun

This is a discussion on new carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Am looking for a new carry gun in .40 S&W. Am considering CZ-2075 Rami. Not the P (polymer model). Looking for pros & cons or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new carry gun

new carry gun

Am looking for a new carry gun in .40 S&W. Am considering CZ-2075 Rami. Not the P (polymer model). Looking for pros & cons or other suggestions.

Thank you

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Good choice of caliber for self-defense! I suggest you look at compact and sub-compact models only to make EDC easier for concealment and more comfort. Therefore, I personally recommend you take a look at Glock (23 and 27 models), Heckler & Koch (USP Compact and P2000/SK), Walther (PPS and P99c) Beretta (Px4 Storm Sub-Compact), Kahr (PM-40), Springfield Armory (XD Compact and Sub-Compact) and Smith & Wesson (M&P40c). The best in terms of reliability are Glock, Heckler & Koch and S&W. It all depends on what you are looking for such as the trigger (DAO, DA/SA, etc.), mag capacity, weight, width, barrel length, availability of spare parts, accessories and such. Look for a shooting range near your house that rents guns and try out all these models. Most people tend to favor Glock so perhaps start there then try out the S&W M&P, Kahr and Springfield XD pistols which are very similar to Glocks but with better ergonomics. Afterwards, make sure you try out the higher end stuff like Heckler & Koch, Walther and Beretta pistols which are aesthetically and ergonomically fantastic and super reliable but pricier. If I had to recommend only one gun without knowing anything about yourself I would say go for the Glock 23. Most law enforcement agencies carry them and they have been the gold standard in concealed carry for self-defense, reliability and toughness for the past 10 years or so. Nonetheless, not everyone likes them (count me in) so just go try one and see what happens.

Once you buy your new concealed carry handgun, I recommend you buy Remington Golden Saber or Speer Gold Dot JHP ammo which is what most ballistic experts recommend as the best brand and type of ammo for self-defense in .40 S&W.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by aji View Post
    Am looking for a new carry gun in .40 S&W. Am considering CZ-2075 Rami. Not the P (polymer model). Looking for pros & cons or other suggestions.

Thank you
    I looked at a 2075 Rami in .40 caliber because I was interested in a sub compact .40 that was DA/SA. I eventually decided against it because in my opinion the gun is pretty chunky for the 8+1 capacity that you get. I think the S&W M&P40c (my current EDC) is a better option. It's a bit thinner the the 2075 and also carries an additional 2 rounds giving you 10+1 capacity. That's a LOT firepower in a sub compact package.

The glock 27 is also a good option if you like glocks. It carries one less round then the M&P. I personally find the ergos on the M&P line to be far superior to the glock but there are plenty of people out there that find the glock ergo's far superior to the M&P's. Go the the gun store and hold both to see which fit's your hand better. The glock is a tad bit thinner then the M&P and their reliability is hard to argue with. I however prefer the M&P trigger (never thought I would see the day I said that...) as it has a very light smooth take up to the break point and then a crisp clean break. The glock (again in my opinion) feel's more stagey to me.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Take a good look at the Sig P229, or P239. Both are available in .40 s+w, IMO, nothing beats a Sig.

P229 Here-- http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/Sho...x?categoryid=8

P239 Here-- http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/Sho...x?categoryid=9
    Last edited by sigmanluke; November 17th, 2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: add links
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Take a good look at the Sig P229, or P239. Both are available in .40 s+w, IMO, nothing beats a Sig.
    I almost suggested the 239 but I just can't get over how big and heavy it is for the low capacity that it offers. 30 ounces empty and a capacity of just 7+1 is kind of fail in the compact/sub-compact class of guns. That being said the increased weight would probably be helpful to soak up some of the recoil of the .40. Also, it's hard to beat a sig trigger.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I went with the SA XD40 SC and have not regretted my decision in the least!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

A CZ of the 75/85 series is always a good choice.

I cannot recommend the Glock 23 enough. 13+1 and so easily concealed.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

If your already looking at the CZ Rami, I would seriously consider just getting the slightly larger CZ 75PCR or the CZ PO1. Their practically the same gun, the PO1 has rails so it has a little more muzzle weight.

Compare the two side by side at a gun store, the Rami is not that much smaller. So for not that much of a size increase your getting a 14 round capacity, and a generally excellent, compact, and reliable fighting handgun that you can still easily EDC.

I actually chose my PCR over the Sig P239 just because I thought the size, weight, capacity ratio greatly favored the PCR. However, I still want the P239 as well!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The CZ line has a great reputation, and if you're satified with the size and weight of the Rami, I'm sure it will serve you well. Yes, there are larger, smaller, thinner, thicker, heavier, and lighter handguns out there, but hey, you like what you like, right?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I almost suggested the 239 but I just can't get over how big and heavy it is for the low capacity that it offers. 30 ounces empty and a capacity of just 7+1 is kind of fail in the compact/sub-compact class of guns. That being said the increased weight would probably be helpful to soak up some of the recoil of the .40. Also, it's hard to beat a sig trigger.
    I don't consider the P239 a sub-compact gun. I wasn't offering it as a S-C gun, just a very high quality, ultimately reliable fighting handgun. Yes, for it's size, the capacity is a little low. However, as you said, the increased weight IS helpful (not probably would be) with the snappy .40s+w round. I've found the P239 to be one of the best suited handguns for the .40s+w because of the reduce in noticed recoil.

I will also say that I more highly recommend the P229 because of the added capacity. And I do agree, the Sig trigger (which ever style you chose) is very hard to beat.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I don't consider the P239 a sub-compact gun. I wasn't offering it as a S-C gun,
    I should have explained that better. Your right, It's not a S-C. I guess I place it in the S-C class because of the capacity. If you consider it a compact and compare it to other compacts (Glock 19 for 9mm and Glock 23 for .40) it fails miserably in that department. That being said, for .40 I will cut it some slack because the weight helps with the recoil. However in 9mm there are a lot of other options that totally blow it out of the water. It has it's pros and it's cons. For me personally I'm not lugging around a 33oz 7+1 gun because it may has a bit less recoil and a really good trigger when I could carry a 26 oz 10+1 M&P with slightly more recoil and a good trigger.

As to how this pertains to the original question I guess what I am saying is this. If size and weight isn't a issue there are guns (sigs like the 229 you mentioned/glocs/M&P's) that have a equally good trigger and soak up recoil just as well but have a higher capacity then the 239. If size and weight IS a issue there are guns that are smaller and lighter then the 239 that have a good trigger and a higher capacity. These however don't soak up the recoil of the .40 quite as well as the 239 does. It's personal preference. I willing to sacrifice a bit of recoil reduction to get a gun that weighs 7 ounces less and carries 3 more rounds.

In closing my opinion is this. If you want a .40 and recoil is top on your list of concerns the 239 is a good option. If recoil is not on the top of your list I think there are better options out there.

+1 on the PCR. All the guns mentioned above are excellent, but if you like the CZ, get it. They are just as good as anything on the market. I personally like the idea of a choice between double action first shot or cocked and locked, which I think the RAMI offers, as it is a compact 75/85, if im not mistaken. Jeff Cooper stated that in his opinion the CZ was the best 9mm on the market at that time, even above the Hi Power, FWIW.

VIP Member
    Rollo, I respect your opinion, and ask this question to ALL those out there who make such a big deal about a few extra ounces.

--Do you REALLY notice the difference of 7 OUNCES on your hip?--

I notice the difference much more in the speed at which I can take accurate follow-up shots.
    Thomas Jefferson

after so many years of wearing a duty belt with all the weight, from the time we carried revolvers till now, I have developed some lower back problems, which magnifiys every ounce. So yes, weight is important to me. I know this sounds like I am bragging, but honestly, Im not, follow up shots are not important to me, as I will not shoot unless I have a high percentile shot, and I rarely miss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links