My thoughts on brand-new Sig P220

This is a discussion on My thoughts on brand-new Sig P220 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got back from a gun shop not long ago today.Turns out a friend had her house broke into and her carry gun was ...

Thread: My thoughts on brand-new Sig P220

My thoughts on brand-new Sig P220

I just got back from a gun shop not long ago today.Turns out a friend had her house broke into and her carry gun was stole,in the little safe she had under her bed.I pretty much gave her my TRP,holster and magazines for just $300.I did it because i worry about her,she works nights alone in a gas station.

So,i headed to the gun shop to see what they had.Ended up with a black Sig P220 and 2 magazines.I dont care for the factory holster,so im getting a nice leather one from Galco,the Avenger.Looking at a Bianchi double mag holster.Need to order 1 more mag.

I have not shot it yet,but it feels solid and comfortable.Came with night sights.Just thought id share that with you all and let you know that i dont have my TRP anymore.Maybe i will keep the Sig.Need to go to the range.

Oh,and she cost $950.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You're a friend indeed. I wouldn't want her job--armed or not! Hope the Sig works out for you.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Wow yes a friend very much you are. That TRP was obviously worth much more than the 300 you sold it for. Very noble.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Wow you are a great friend.Maybe you should buy her a Glock and asked for your TRP back.
    Last edited by TWO GUNS; November 17th, 2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: e
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Sig P220 instead of 1911

I think you made a good choice going with the Sig P220. Many of us actually prefer a Sig P220 to a 1911, and can shoot it better. I think the P220 has the edge in reliability compared to a typical 1911.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Good choice on the 220... although I still favor the 1911s, the 220 is the most accurate out-of-the-box handgun I've ever bought. Over a few thousand rounds, it has never, ever failed to chamber a round, fire, or eject - and I can't even say the same about my Glock 23.

FWIW, I use a DeSantis 'Viper' paddle holster with thumb break.

Also, I'll add my applause for helping out your friend with the TRP.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Help her pick out a new safe too. Bolt it down solidly. It won't stop a determined thief with lots of time but may deter the usual grab and go thief.

Also a big +1 for helping out a friend.

Stay Safe

You know,i figured that she would want my Sig now,because she had a Colt Defender,and i wasnt sure she would like the full size.But she said last night she loves it and will try to give me some more money on it once she gets a better safe.

Put a whole of 8 rounds through the Siggy.Heres how i compare it to Glock 21 and Springfield 1911.

The Grips on the Glock do not compare to the TRP.The grips on the Sig are better than the TRP,so thats sweet.Accuracy is excellent and on-par with the 1911,even though it has a shorter barrel,the grips give it an edge.

A note about the Avenger holster.It is the absolute best fitting,most comfortable and best looking holster i ever had.And i always thought Galco was second rate.

Now im out of money.Which reminds me,i need to get to work soon.

VIP Member
    + 6 or 7 or whatever on helping out the friend. That's what friends are for, and you're a good one.

Enjoy your P220, I absolutely am in love with mine! It is the finest hangun I have ever fired. I added the hogue rubberized grips to mine, very solid even with sweaty hands. I have over 15000 rounds through mine without a single failure, can any Glock say that?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I think you made a fine choice with the P220 OP. I also recently picked up a new one.
    It's very accurate and easy to shoot, the ergonomics suit me very well.

So far I've put about 1000 rounds of assorted fmj and jhp ammo through it so far with zero hiccups of any kind.

We need a picture of the Sig P220 in this thread, so here's mine when she got home 3 weeks ago.

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Sorry about pictures,my computer is one of the first ones ever made.Im serious,it is.

My Glock had 1 failure,my TRP 0.But i honestly do believe that for the most part,Sigs are more reliable than 1911s and Glocks.Trigger feel is so better than the Glock double action,and it is as good as 1911.

Has anyone ever loaded and shot fmj and jhp out of the same mag before? I think i might try that.

By the way,i do not think i specified that i got the single action only model.
    Last edited by Glocksin; November 19th, 2010 at 10:01 AM.

Congrats on the new pistol and being a great friend!

I have only one question. If she was at work, why wasn't her pistol on her instead of at home?
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Now,she didnt offer to tell me why,but i suspect she was with a friend who was anti carry and just didnt bother.I know,thats sad.

Links