45 colt from the judge

This is a discussion on 45 colt from the judge within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "It's another attempt to create income by coming up with something that is not needed, but you can convince some people of anything." Yes, and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 45 colt from the judge

"It's another attempt to create income by coming up with something that is not needed, but you can convince some people of anything."

Yes, and as that notable wag P. T. Barnum, who is also said to have originated a certain other quote regarding with what frequency suckers are born, once said:

"Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public."
    glockman10mm likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I still consider it a gun that was developed without thinking about if someone would really want it. Just another gimmick to get the uninformed to spend their money.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'd carry it out hiking and based on the video posted earlier, wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.
    I do have to laugh at some of the comments that either bash a person for buying one or bash the manufacturer for making them.
    I would not feel unprepared w/ a judge while checking out a "bump in the night" (45 LC or OOO buckshot).
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Now you can get one that fires 454 casul but the frame and barrel are the size of a 500 smith so you need a wagon to pull it around all day.

Would feel more comfortable with the Governor strictly cuz I own a 4" Mountain Gun and like S&W quality. I like the option of #9 shot shell to the face (house or car) of a two legged or even a bear in lieu of any other round with handgun (close encounter only 10-15' max). Too much adrenaline flowing for a bullet to be dead on deterrent in those situations for someone who doesn't have nerves of steel (which most of use don't). The CCI snake shot gets my vote as users (anecdotal) say it's pattern is tighter out that far. Also, the option of putting a couple rounds of 45 standard pressure HC 255gr from Buffalo Bore as a finisher make it a solid option as a woods gun. First option for bear would still be bear spray or marine flare, but sometimes heavy wind will take away those options.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Barrel length has nothing to do with mechanical accuracy. The long cylinder used to allow 410 loads make the cylinder too long for the 45 Colt causing excessive jump from it through the forcing cone.

It's another attempt to create income by coming up with something that is not needed, but you can convince some people of anything.
    It's the perfect answer to a question nobody asked.

I purchased my Judge for self defense and carry it in my truck. For self defense work it is accurate enough; I am not going to take it the range and shoot silhouette targets. It is too big and heavy to carry on your person but I do have a great deal of confidence in the weapon if I had to use it to protect myself or a family member. There is no doubt in my mine that The Judge would end a confrontation very fast. My first two chambers are loaded with #4 Buckshot and the last three are .45 Long Colt's.
    Last edited by Stoner; September 26th, 2011 at 04:34 PM. Reason: changed wording

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    I'd carry it out hiking and based on the video posted earlier, wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.
    I do have to laugh at some of the comments that either bash a person for buying one or bash the manufacturer for making them.
    I would not feel unprepared w/ a judge while checking out a "bump in the night" (45 LC or OOO buckshot).
    +1 on this ^^ I own one and keep it in my truck for potential carjackings. Otherwise, it stays in the nightstand for "bump in the night" investigations.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    I purchased my Judge for self defense and carry it in my truck. For self defense work it is accurate enough; I am not going to take it the range and shoot silhouette targets. It is too big and heavy to carry on your person but I do have a great deal of confidence in the weapon if I had to use it to protect myself or a family member. There is no doubt in my mine that The Judge would end a confrontation very fast. My first two chambers are loaded with #4 Buckshot and the last three are .45 Long Colt's.
    This is not a gun designed for EDC, imho. However, just like any other tool, it has it's uses. My first chamber is #4 buck, next 2 chambers are 000 buck, last 2 .45 LC HP.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I have one- the 6.5 inch barrel in blue. I bought it for fun only- I have shot several quail on the wing with it! (I have missed many more.) Quality is okay, not great- ripples in the finish, some cylinder shake, terrible manual, heavy trigger. It has a fiber sight.The grips are very comfortable. Heavy revolver- the cylinder is a brick.
    Accuracy with 45 colt- only range tested it once, and it was fair,not great, but okay. The trigger is not very crisp so that makes it worse. Not sure why i bought it.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

I love how .410 is only good for the smallest game out of a long gun, but when shot out of a ridiculous revolver it becomes a good choice for stopping a carjacking.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Thumbs up Cross-hairs Consideration

The Judge "Public Defender" is not a "sniper" rifle; it is a self-defense firearm, which I can assure you, will have absolutely no problem fulfilling it's purpose IF the trigger were to ever be pulled in an intruder/attacker situation. Of course, it is not, and does not, take the place of my XDm9 or Sig P238 options.

However, I must say, it is definitely more do-able to carry when compared to concealing the Remington 870 Express.

In it's own right, it would prove to be more than a conversation piece. I love it, regardless.

I purchased one for my wife for HD. She did not want to struggle with a shotgun. We keep it loaded with 3 rounds of 410 and 2 rounds of long colt. She is happy!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    I purchased one for my wife for HD. She did not want to struggle with a shotgun. We keep it loaded with 3 rounds of 410 and 2 rounds of long colt. She is happy!
    Two thoughts.

1.) It may be a little uncomfortable for your/my wife to pull the trigger, but more uncomfortable for the recipient of the loaded gift at 3AM when they discover they stumbled into the wrong place. ;)

2.) Do you have the PD Poly? If so, have you ordered the extended grip for it from Taurus? I just received ours in the mail today and all I can say is, "Wow." It has a thumb groove incorporated into the ribber grip and just a little longer to afford extra room for the pinky. A great addition for all PD Poly owners for sure. The part # from Taurus is #4-425 and it is less than $20 shipped to your door, but worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCXD View Post
    Two thoughts.

1.) It may be a little uncomfortable for your/my wife to pull the trigger, but more uncomfortable for the recipient of the loaded gift at 3AM when they discover they stumbled into the wrong place. ;)

2.) Do you have the PD Poly? If so, have you ordered the extended grip for it from Taurus? I just received ours in the mail today and all I can say is, "Wow." It has a thumb groove incorporated into the ribber grip and just a little longer to afford extra room for the pinky. A great addition for all PD Poly owners for sure. The part # from Taurus is #4-425 and it is less than $20 shipped to your door, but worth every penny.
    Thanks for the tip. I purchased the 3 inch SS. I'll check the Taurus web site. My wife may not want to struggle with a shotgun but I have no objection. I recently bought a Remington 870 HD 12 G plus 500 rounds of 00 buck shot. That was a load to carry to the basement :)
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I purchased the 3 inch SS. I'll check the Taurus web site. My wife may not want to struggle with a shotgun but I have no objection. I recently bought a Remington 870 HD 12 G plus 500 rounds of 00 buck shot. That was a load to carry to the basement :)
    FYI: the part # is not on their website. When you call, just give them the part # and they will proceed. Keep me posted with the grip acquisition. Enjoy the remainder~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links