New Fusion 1911 build

New Fusion 1911 build

This is a discussion on New Fusion 1911 build within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't know if anyone here would be interested, but I am putting together a "Carry" style 1911. I've never really built one up from parts ...

Thread: New Fusion 1911 build

New Fusion 1911 build

Don't know if anyone here would be interested, but I am putting together a "Carry" style 1911. I've never really built one up from parts before. I'm sure many others here on this forum have built much more complicated build projects, but I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew this time around.

If you are interested, I'm posting a blog about it:

http://kansascommandingofficerproject.blogspot.com/

She looks good,keep it up please and give us updates!

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Cool. I bookmarked it, to read tonight.

I have a question it is legal to build your own gun? I always thought you had to (to legally carry on) buy one.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    I have a question it is legal to build your own gun? I always thought you had to (to legally carry on) buy one.
    Yes it is legal to build your own gun, as long as it would be legal for you to own it otherwise. You just cannot build it with the INTENTION of selling it. The part that would normally have the serial number, is what ATF considers the "firearm". They recommend that you give your receiver a serial number, so that someone doesn't think it was removed. I personally would recommend that you also stamp the date of manufacture (completion), for any future regs that might come down.

In this particular case, my stripped receiver (Frame) was already a "gun" when I received it from Fusion, and I had to go through the legal transfer from an FFL. This frame already had a serial number, I was not considered the manufacturer, just the assembler.

There are lots of folks out there that buy 60% or 80% receivers and finish them though. Maybe finished somewhat, but not enough that the ATF consider them to be a "gun", and therefore not regulated. AR15 80% frames are quite common. If you have a mill and know how to use it, could be quite fun to build.

For many years, lots of folks had fun building their own AK47's from the various Com-Bloc countries, that came in with the receivers cut. You could bend a "flat" and after a lot of grinding and filing, have a workable rifle. Very few of those kits left, the new ones all have the barrels gone. They routinely sold for $85-$100, and you'd have about $100 in compliance parts, so made for cheap fun. (Regs are different for "imported" rifle kits, you have to have a certain number of US made parts to make it no longer "foreign")

Of course, many folks buy a stripped receiver for AR's, which is the part considered the firearm, do the legal transfer from an FFL, and then build their own rifle around it. You can save probably $200 or so by doing this, and it is easy to do.

Thanks I am considering building a 1911 now instead of buying one, would be a great way to learn as well :D
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Links