Arrrr! My new P250c 9mm just collapsed...

This is a discussion on Arrrr! My new P250c 9mm just collapsed... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This gun was manufactured in June 2010. You'd think problems would be worked out by now. I took my P250c 9mm to the range yesterday ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrrr! My new P250c 9mm just collapsed...

Senior Moderator

Arrrr! My new P250c 9mm just collapsed...

This gun was manufactured in June 2010. You'd think problems would be worked out by now. I took my P250c 9mm to the range yesterday and shot 50 rounds through it. I usually only load 5 rounds in a mag at a time, helps keep my focus up on every round, anyway I had a failure to extract with just about every magazine, so that's something like 10 failures to extract in 50 rounds.

I was alternating mags and could tell no difference between the two.

The gun shot great accuracy-wise and while I was disappointed, I used the failures to practice random double feed clearance drills. That was actually fun, and I realized how 'cold' I had gotten on double feed immediate action drills. The thought even went through my mind that this isn't a bad thing for a while, of course I couldn't carry it for SD like that.

I mentioned what happened to the range master and he asked me if I wanted him to send it back to Sig for me. I didn't even buy the gun from him. I asked how much he'd charge to do that and he said, "No charge."! Of course, I can't say enough good things about Shooters Depot now.

So the plan is to call Sig, probably just a formality at this point, but I suspect I'll get a RMA, and I guess I'll just let Shooters Depot send it back. And of all times here we are at Thanksgiving - that'll make it take that much longer.

This appears to be an extractor problem, and I had the thought to ask them to send me an extractor, but it'd be better just to let Sig go through it.

Hmmmm, I wonder if I could just send them the slide? That way I'd have my FCU (Firing Control Unit) available for another frame and slide. Now if I just had another frame and slide...

Then again, if I let Shooters Depot send the complete gun Sig will probably update anything and everything that needs it, and it won't cost me anything but the time the gun is gone

In the mean time I'm carrying my Gen 2 G17 with a Ghost Rocket connector in it (6 lb trigger pull), or my M&Pf 9mm with both the DCAEK and RAM kit in it (5 lb pull with improved reset).
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Wow. Your issues with Sig. My issues with Kahr and two of my three LCPs.

I'm really starting to appreciate my Glocks more and more.

I'd just send the whole gun back - let them deal with it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Wow. Your issues with Sig. My issues with Kahr and two of my three LCPs.

I'm really starting to appreciate my Glocks more and more.
    Actually, I haven't had any problems at all with my .45ACP P250.

Glock is having their problems too. The gen 4 models, especially the G22s, have been a nightmare. G17 g4s have had problems too. And Sig with the P238.

I'm beginning to wonder if anybody can make guns work right the first time.

....I'd just send the whole gun back - let them deal with it.
    Yep, I agree.

That sucks, but then again I hate the 250 trigger. So I wouldnt have the bad luck of owning one.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if anybody can make guns work right the first time.
    Not as long as they all continue to use new buyers as product-quality testers.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Administrator
    Def. send the whole gun back, that way they can test it as one unit and hopefully duplicate the same problems without any variables.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Could it be an ammo issue? Did you try different types of ammo?

Yup, it does indeed seem like no one can make a new model that works properly right out the gate. I've been burned a few times buying new-model guns...never again. I'll wait at least a year before buying any "new" gun. My Glocks are Gen 3, so no issues there.

That said, even buying established guns is no guarantee of anything. My latest LCP wasn't an "early" one, yet it's had all kinds of issues. Seems to be more of an issue with QC maybe? I just don't get it. Rushing guns out the door, and then having to pay to fix them later, cannot possibly result in profits for the makers...not to mention the bad reputation. Two of our three LCPs have been back to Ruger twice...between shipping and repairs, they must have lost money on me. Kudos to them for trying to make it right, but it would have been better for all concerned to make them right the first time.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    Could it be an ammo issue? Did you try different types of ammo?

Yup, it does indeed seem like no one can make a new model that works properly right out the gate. I've been burned a few times buying new-model guns...never again. I'll wait at least a year before buying any "new" gun. My Glocks are Gen 3, so no issues there.

That said, even buying established guns is no guarantee of anything. My latest LCP wasn't an "early" one, yet it's had all kinds of issues. Seems to be more of an issue with QC maybe? I just don't get it. Rushing guns out the door, and then having to pay to fix them later, cannot possibly result in profits for the makers...not to mention the bad reputation. Two of our three LCPs have been back to Ruger twice...between shipping and repairs, they must have lost money on me. Kudos to them for trying to make it right, but it would have been better for all concerned to make them right the first time.
    Well, the ammo, Federal factory FMJ from Dick's Sporting Goods works in everything else I shoot it in.

And for the rest of that, AMEN!!! I've seen issues in the past with new models, but nothing like what we're seeing today and it seems to be all across the 'board'.

Administrator
    Usually when a firearm goes back to SIG it will end up getting a full factory tune & that's always a nice little plus.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Usually when a firearm goes back to SIG it will end up getting a full factory tune & that's always a nice little plus.
    OH BOY!! I'm all for that!

Hmmm, you know what - this just may be one of those 'blessings in disguise'. Even right down to a gun shop offering to ship it to Sig for free!

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm, here's an interesting update. I read a post where a guy was having a similar problem except he was loading his mags full. He recognized that his failures were occurring at the 13+1 count, whatever that means, but I believe it means that the problem occurred on the 14th round which would leave one round in a 15 round mag. That's exactly when I notice my failures occurring repeadedly with one round left in the mag.

His dealer swapped mags with him and the problem went away. It is interesting that I'm having the problem with one round left in the mag and the two mags I was using are both new.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Sorry to hear of your problems. Oddly, my 9mm compact ran 100%, through over 400 rounds, but, when I switched that FCU in to a 45 ACP exchange kit, the gun's slide suddenly started locking back with only one round left in the mag. It did this every other mag, and I mixed the number rounds in each mag. It didn't matter which of the three mags I used. Sig said it was due to the "Old Style" slide lock spring, and sent me a new spring, which was in fact a little longer. After I installed the slide lock spring, I did have the slide lock back on the last round once in 100 rounds. That still leaves a ? mark in my mind. I need to do a little more testing before I contact Sig.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

VIP Member
    Tangle,

I have to commend you on your honesty about your P250. Sig will do right by you, please keep us in the loop. I am honestly sorry this happened, but it sounds like the same issue I had with mine. I ended up getting it fixed and was honest with the next owner because I just could not trust it afterward.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Moderator
    Thanks, C hawk Glock. It is my intent to present a truthful view of the P250. Some seem to work flawlessly, some have problems. E.g. my .45 P250 has been flawless - reliable feeding, firing, and accurate. I could have just not mentioned this issue and got it fixed and let that be that. But if I'm gonna talk about my positive experiences of the P250, I feel it only honest to talk about the problems as well and how those problems are resolved.

Certainly trust has to be earned. If the gun doesn't go bang every time, then like you, I can't have the confidence in it I need to carry it. But it seems to be SOP these days. Just recall the issues with: M&P with mags dropping out; S&W problems with their 1911, Sig problems with their 1911s, Kimber's problems with their 1911s (LAPD SWAT), the Ruger LCP recall ; the Ruger SR9 recall, the Walther PPK recall, the Sig 238 safety issue, the Glock gen 4 G22s reliability issues, and the Colt recalls.

It sure makes a guy wonder.

I'm sure Sig will resolve the problem. I get the impression there are still some 'old stock' items in some of the P250s, like weaker mag catch springs, older style trigger links, etc. It's frustrating a bit though that this kind of stuff is still showing up.

BTW Hawk, as I recall you're an M&P aficionado, so you should enjoy this. With my P250 acting up, I shot my M&P with the DCAEK and RAM kits installed. This is at 10 feet but it is the first shot cold out of the gun - does it look like the sights are off a bit to the left :

And one more, at ranges from 3 - 15 yards with at least 10 shots at the 15 yard range. Obviously I had some sight picture issues, but I knew that when I was shooting. The lighting at the range varies from close up to down range and it did bother me.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    My problem with this statement is: for what you pay for a SIG, I'd expect it to be "tuned" out of the box. I can understand a $220 Sat. Night Spec. being a piece of crap until worked on and broken in, but a so-called top-of-the-line firearm from a name brand such as Sig? I don't think so.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links