Sub $300 sub compact choice

This is a discussion on Sub $300 sub compact choice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I am looking for a sub compact gun to carry. Budget is only about $300 and I am not comfortable with a used gun ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sub $300 sub compact choice

Sub $300 sub compact choice

Hi,
    I am looking for a sub compact gun to carry. Budget is only about $300 and I am not comfortable with a used gun for this purpose. Looked really hard at the Taurus 738 but man I see a lot of bad reviews on this gun.

What recommendations do you have?

Thanks in advance for taking time to reply.

2. Remove Ads

Keltec PF9

At that price point: Ruger LCP, Hi-points, kel-tecs, Bersa's, Taurus

With all respect, do you think you could save up another $200.00? $500.00 would give you many, many great options for a quality handgun.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I know money is tight... believe me... I know... but how can you put a price tag of $300 on your life?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying go spend 600-1200 on a gun, because that's not reasonable, but 400-500 would get a better quality piece IMO. I'd pass on a Taurus for anything I would depend on. Don't forget, you'll easily spend 10x the cost of the gun on practicing. Just some food for thought.

just to ditto what several other members have said; cost while important, can't be the overriding factor in a decision like this. As was also mentioned, for another $200 or so, you could buy something that is very dependable. While all may not agree that a Glock is the greatest firearm in the world( I have 2, a 20 and a 26 and trust them and enjoy shooting them) you could get one in the $500 price range. And you can count on them to "go bang when you pull the trigger". With no disrespect at all intended, as an example, you wouldn't look for the cheapest possible surgeon if you needed some type of surgery, $ would be a factor, but when you trust your life with something dependability, availability of ammo, stopping power etc. all have to be seriously considered. Also, my experience has been that it's far cheaper in the long run to have one firearm that you really like and shoot than it is to have 2 or more that you don't like. With any firearm there is a big additional investment in magazines, ammo etc that go well beyond the initial purchase price.

i was going thru the same problem back in the summer, i looked at the LCP...but i wanted atleast a 9mm. i actually scrapped up some cash and got a glock 26.

The best bet is to get a good used gun, like the G26,take it to a smith and make sure he/she checks it and it looks fine.

i'd rather trust my life to a used glock than any taurus.

if you must have brand new, go for the p95 by ruger, its full size...but its def a good pistol for 300 bucks.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    After reading posts on this and other "carry" forums, I have decided that the minimum caliber for self-defense that I should carry is 9mm. I know people are killed every day by .22's, .25's & .32's. That's only my conclusion. Having said that, I must say that I have a Kel-Tec P3AT which, from time to time, I pocket carry. It will fit in clothes that no other of my guns will. I still find myself reaching for my S&W 342 Airlite because it's a revolver. I just trust it more than any of my semi's. So I don't piss anyone off, I have 2- Glocks, a 26 and a 30SF as well as a 9mm EMP, all of which I'm very, very fond and have never had a FTF or FTE. But would I trust my life to them? Apparently not. I guess, the bottom line is you need to get a gun you are comfortable with regardless of price. I'm still looking.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I know some folks have had issues with the Taurus 738 TCP, but mine runs like clockwork. It would fit the bill and the bills so to speak.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    For $300.00 or under I would only recommend you to buy a new Ruger LCP (380), a Keltec PF9 (9mm), a Keltec P-3AT (380) or a Bersa Thunder CC (380) or you could try and find a used snub nose revolver in .38spl or .357mag at a local pawn shop or at Gun Broker. Nonetheless, I would strongly recommend that you make an effort to save up a couple of hundred bucks more to get a Glock 26 or a S&W M&P9c.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I agree with the consensus that a little more may pay big dividends in the long run. I bought a Kel-Tec 9 MM P-11 for $278 an I do like it.

The wife bought a Stainless Steel SP101 .357 for $400 awhile back and I like it much more.
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

I'll agree with what everyone else has said, if you manage together another $200 you'll be in the range for a Glock and they're plenty great and reliable as all get out. The grip isn't for everyone tough.

In your price range I'd say the Ruger LCP, Bersa's, or either the Kel-Tec P11 or Pf9. I had a pf9 but didn't really care for it, got a P11 last month and love it. That said though, the kel-tec's do require some break-in time to ensure their reliability. If they do have problems though KT has fantastic customer service.

I would honestly wait and try to save up another 150-200 so you can afford a glock/xd or ruger lcr/smith jframe. Do it right the first time

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I know money is tight... believe me... I know... but how can you put a price tag of $300 on your life?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying go spend 600-1200 on a gun, because that's not reasonable, but 400-500 would get a better quality piece IMO. I'd pass on a Taurus for anything I would depend on. Don't forget, you'll easily spend 10x the cost of the gun on practicing. Just some food for thought.
    I agree totally, and while there are some good used bargins that can be had for this range if you look hard, if you go new you are limited to handguns that are spotty at best (Kel Tecs for example). You would be much wiser to save your pennies for a couple more months and buy a quality, reliable handgun.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

RGC
    I have the Kel tec PF 9 and a LCP and both run great for me. That being said my primary carry is my 1911 colt defender. If your happy with the 380 caliber then the LCP is a very easy gun to carry and mine has never given me any trouble.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links