Small 9mm's - Page 4

Small 9mm's

This is a discussion on Small 9mm's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tommy3rd how about the upcoming sig p290? A wise man would wait on that for at least a year after witnessing the ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Small 9mm's

Quote Originally Posted by tommy3rd View Post
    how about the upcoming sig p290?
    A wise man would wait on that for at least a year after witnessing the p238 mess...

Quote Originally Posted by psycho1 View Post
    Try the Kahr CW9, not as expensive as some of their other models, perfect grip size for a woman........Kahr's do have the DA only triggers on them however, if that is an issue with her.....though they are a very smooth double action only pistol. The are also the perfect size for concealability..............
    The CW9 is a good suggestion. I've seen several women at the range who have them as their carry guns. All of them liked them just fine, and shot them rather well.

Fitch

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I can't believe no one mentioned the Rohrbaugh(not sure about spelling). It's the smallest 9mm made and in a test of the sub-compacts, was cited for the most reliable out of the box. Pricey but what's your life worth these days?

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I can't believe no one mentioned the Rohrbaugh(not sure about spelling). It's the smallest 9mm made and in a test of the sub-compacts, was cited for the most reliable out of the box. Pricey but what's your life worth these days?
    I didn't mention it because the OP's initial statement;
    I used to have a Kel-tec PF9 - she definitely did NOT like shooting it - hurt her hand to shoot.
    The Rohrbaugh is small but can be a "handful".

Where are the walther PPS fans? This gun is absolutely gal friendly (slim, low felt recoil, lightweight) sized nicely. In 9MM it is swet.

Quote Originally Posted by dwyermw View Post
    Where are the walther PPS fans? This gun is absolutely gal friendly (slim, low felt recoil, lightweight) sized nicely. In 9MM it is swet.
    Here I am.

I've had a 9mm PPS for about 18 months and been extremely pleased with it.

It's super accurate and very reliable. I've put about 1500 rds. of assorted fmj and jhp ammo through it with zero failures so far.

It's a great size for carry and very easy to disassemble for cleaning.

IMO, Walther hit a homerun with this pistol.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'd also recomend she handle the Kahr line of guns. I have the P9, Mk9 and K9. The weight of the MK9 makes it a soft shooter and the grip fits my smaller hands very well. Sights are great, trigger is great, etc. P9 is light but the plastic checkering is a bit hard on the hand. Add an "A Grip" and it's perfect. My K9 is the best shooter, the best grip but it's a tad on the heavy side because of all stainless.

The MK in a IWB from AJ Concealco is about the ultimate small package in a 9mm that is also good enough to enjoy for extended range sessions.

God Bless
    Gideon

I carry the PT-709. It will go to my wife as soon as I get my PT-145, as she likes the way it feels. The 709 is worth consideration. I've done extensive shooting on it and the Kel-Tec PF-9, and I have to say it is MUCH more comfortable to shoot. While it's not exactly a range gun, there are no issues with putting 50-100 rounds through it on a regular basis. A gun you are comfortable practicing with will be an advantage in a SHTF situation. The 709 needs to be kept squeaky clean and well maintained, but mine's been 100% reliable from day one. Another benefit (IMHO) is the manual safety, which is another reason I chose this gun in the first place.

Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

I will throw another vote in for the PPS. I have a hand/wrist injury and it is mild shooting in 9mm. It conceals well, and i like the different sized magazines and custom back panel.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I have a Sig P239 in 9mm. It has a very thin single stack grip and it is as reliable as it gets. I also have an XD SC but the the Sig is just more confortable.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Never heard of Microtech. What sort of reputation do they have?
    They're mostly knifemakers making expensive switchblades, but now they make an AUG clone as well as their mini-9.

Tony Marfione is the owner, and his company has a reputation for three things- making high-quality, expensive products, announcing a product and then having years of delays in its release, and being unresponsive to customers.
    Note to self: The only way to win is not to play.

One handgun I didn't see mentioned and the one that is my EDC is a Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro http://bit.ly/fS8406 With a 12+1 carry capacity, she shoots pretty well. Most people I have talked to who didn't like my Glock 17, loved the grip on the PT111.

It's certainly worth a look if you are also looking at the 709's

How about the Makarov. It's a nice little pistol and it sits nice and flat in your pocket.

It's gotta be the Walther PPS. IMO, it's the best in the sub-compact, deep conceal class despite what the Kahr fan club will say otherwise. If the grip comfort is a big issue for your wife you can't beat the customization that the PPS gives - 2 backstraps and 3 mag/grip sizes. I have medium-large hands and the 7-shot mag gives me a full 4-finger grip. The Keltec, Kahr and G26 are all designed will little or no room for the pinkie. I did a thread in July that summed up how I came to choose the PPS over the rest. It remains my perfect CCW weapon. Please give it a second look.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ps+sirlingping

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I would re-consider the Ruger SR9c.

It has NOT gotten a bad review.

It is supposed to have a very nice trigger.

I have a M&P9c, and a Kel Tec p-11.
    M&P is very nice.
    She will not like the Kel Tec. Its not a range gun at all.

For the money I would go for the Ruger.
    WAY better Quality for around the same amt. of money, than the Taurus.
    WAY less expensive than the Kahrs, and maybe even better in the quality dept.
    Way lighter than the 3913.
    And less expensive than these: Walther PPS, Walther P99c, Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact, Heckler & Koch P2000sk

I will also echo what the others have said; HAVE HER hold and shoot as many of these at a range that rents them, or a friend who may have one.
    Let her decide what kicks more, what she shoots better, and what feels better.
    +1. I love my SR9C. great trigger, very little recoil, extremely accurate. What more could you ask for?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links