Small 9mm's

This is a discussion on Small 9mm's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is looking for a carry gun. Although she really likes my XD, she wants something quite a bit smaller to carry. She was ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Small 9mm's

Small 9mm's

My wife is looking for a carry gun. Although she really likes my XD, she wants something quite a bit smaller to carry. She was originally looking at the LCP, but I asked her to consider the smaller 9mm's as well (so we could both use the same ammo).

I used to have a Kel-tec PF9 - she definitely did NOT like shooting it - hurt her hand to shoot. We looked at a Taurus 709, which she found very comfortable, and I've heard a number of decent reports - but then, I've also heard a number of negative reviews of it as well...

So,

Is there anything else in this size range? So we have a baseline - the Ruger SR9c is bigger than she wants, so it would really have to be PF9/709 size. What else is out there in 9mm that size?

Or would we be better off going back to looking at .380's?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    The Kahr PM9 is popular. Have you looked into it?

I'm going through the same problem right now. we are going to make a decision within the next couple of days... Thing is, you need to realize that something as light and small as the PF9 with a 9mm round is going to kick. there is no way around that... it's just physics. weight of the pistol, the slimness of the grip, and the power of the round. if that same pistol was made in .380 it wouldn't kick as much. if it was all metal, it wouldn't kick as much...

that being said, it's also not a range gun. perhaps she needs to shoot full size pistols and get used to shooting a pistol, then practice with the PF9 to get used to the the pistol so she can use it when she needs to. I guarentee you she won't be bitching about how it hurts her hand to shoot it when she needs to unload 7 rounds into a bad guy at 10 feet...

That's me and my gf's philosophy. We are going to get her a PF9 for carry and a MP9 or a MP9c to practice shooting.

this is similar to people buying .357 revolvers, and 95% of the time practicing with .38 because the .357 hurts to shoot after a while, but they all carry .357 in there.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I don't think there is any getting around it.....the smaller/lighter the gun the more she will feel recoil. The Taurus 709 is approximately the same size and weight as the PF9. I don't see how recoil could be less. I would suggest something no smaller than the Kahr CW9 or, if you don't mind the extra expense, the Walther PPS. I would not go smaller than that. What ever the case, let HER be the final judge.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I have a taurus 709 and I can tell you it kicks a lot less than a pf9.I haven't had any malfunctions with mine.I trust it completely.She can also use a padded shooting glove on her shooting hand.Cut the fingers back and she will still have her gripping ability. Thats just for practice of course. sj

Kahr PM9, Kahr CW9, Walther P99 (if she can get used to the magazine release).
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

KelTec PF-9, Taurus PT709, and Kahr PM9 in that order from least expensive to most expensive. God Bless

Went through the same thing with my better half. She shoots the XD's very well but they are a bit bulky for her to carry.

She carries an MK9 now and can shoot it well without any pain from recoil. It is still jumpy but being all metal it is more controllable than one would think.

I liked hers so much I picked one up for myself.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Have her wrap her hands around a Kahr PM9, Walther PPS, Walther P99c, Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact, Heckler & Koch P2000sk, S&W MP9c and a Glock 26. Let her choose whichever gun feels best in her hand. Nonetheless, the lighter and smaller the pistol is the more recoil it will have.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

S&W 3913, regular or Ladysmith. great guns. Can be had in good shape for very little coin nowadays.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=201195748
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I would re-consider the Ruger SR9c.

It has NOT gotten a bad review.

It is supposed to have a very nice trigger.

I have a M&P9c, and a Kel Tec p-11.
    M&P is very nice.
    She will not like the Kel Tec. Its not a range gun at all.

For the money I would go for the Ruger.
    WAY better Quality for around the same amt. of money, than the Taurus.
    WAY less expensive than the Kahrs, and maybe even better in the quality dept.
    Way lighter than the 3913.
    And less expensive than these: Walther PPS, Walther P99c, Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact, Heckler & Koch P2000sk

I will also echo what the others have said; HAVE HER hold and shoot as many of these at a range that rents them, or a friend who may have one.
    Let her decide what kicks more, what she shoots better, and what feels better.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I would re-consider the Ruger SR9c.

It has NOT gotten a bad review.

It is supposed to have a very nice trigger.

I have a M&P9c, and a Kel Tec p-11.
    M&P is very nice.
    She will not like the Kel Tec. Its not a range gun at all.

For the money I would go for the Ruger.
    WAY better Quality for around the same amt. of money, than the Taurus.
    WAY less expensive than the Kahrs, and maybe even better in the quality dept.
    Way lighter than the 3913.
    And less expensive than these: Walther PPS, Walther P99c, Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact, Heckler & Koch P2000sk

I will also echo what the others have said; HAVE HER hold and shoot as many of these at a range that rents them, or a friend who may have one.
    Let her decide what kicks more, what she shoots better, and what feels better.
    Here is where the problem is... are you buying her a range gun, or a self defense gun? It's stupid to get a small tiny gun if it's for range shooting. get her a regular pistol that won't kick much.

This is where most people have the problem with the PF9. they complain after 100 rounds, their hands hurt... well maybe you are using it for the wrpong purpose? maybe you need to go practice once a month with 50 rounds if it hurts ur hands that much. and leave range/accuracy shooting to full size pistols

Not skinny but the GLOCK 26 is a sweet shooting 9mm.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    Thing is, you need to realize that something as light and small as the PF9 with a 9mm round is going to kick. there is no way around that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    The Taurus 709 is approximately the same size and weight as the PF9. I don't see how recoil could be less.
    It seems I wasn't totally clear, so let me clarify: Her discomfort has nothing to do with recoil. It's the grip that's the problem. The grip on the 709 is much more comfortable and fits her hand better.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    What ever the case, let HER be the final judge.
    Of course! Just trying to find other options to look into.

My wife carries a 9mm PPS in a dedicated Coronado Leather CC handbag.

We've both been very pleased with the PPS. It balances well and points naturally. Very, very accurate and really a pleasure to shoot.

I keep range records on each of our pistols and to date we've put 1520 rds. of assorted fmj and jhp ammo through this pistol with zero malfunctions.

The PPS is also available in .40 S&W, so with either 9mm or .40 you're shooting a legitimate SD cartridge.

Walther hit a homerun with the PPS, IMO.

Good luck Random, let us know what you and your better half decide.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links