Nickel vs. Blued gun barrels?

This is a discussion on Nickel vs. Blued gun barrels? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to buy a snub nose revolver, I currently have a Sigma 40ve & a S&W 19-5 with a 6" barrel. My 19-5 is ...

Thread: Nickel vs. Blued gun barrels?

Nickel vs. Blued gun barrels?

I'm looking to buy a snub nose revolver, I currently have a Sigma 40ve & a S&W 19-5 with a 6" barrel. My 19-5 is blued and has never really been too much of a problem. Aside from Stainless Steel which would be preferred for many reasons what is the benefit/downside of Nickel vs Blued.
    Which is better and why.

2. Remove Ads

Both are good. I have heard of nickel finishes flaking but never actually saw it. It adds a little more protection over blue, and may be sensitive to some solvents.

I would say that Nickle would have better rust resistance for someone who is going to be holstering it and exposing it to the air, sweat, possible rain etc.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Residing most of the year in Florida, within 15 feet of salt water, I have opted for stainless or titanium for most of my guns. I swore I would never own anything but. That was until I drank the kool-aid. Now I am hopelessly addicted to Glock. God help me!

Administrator
    The OLD decorative Nickel is the Nickel that used to flake & peel.

All Nickel done on firearms these days is Electroless Nickel and it forms a molecular bond to the substrate and will never flake or peel.
    It is basically as durable as Hard Chrome but, is not the same coloration.

Satin Electroless Nickel is near bout the ideal finish for firearms.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    Residing most of the year in Florida, within 15 feet of salt water, I have opted for stainless or titanium for most of my guns. I swore I would never own anything but. That was until I drank the kool-aid. Now I am hopelessly addicted to Glock. God help me!
    God has helped you Geezer. He gave you the wisdom to aquire Glocks. I have an S&W 638 and a Ruger SP-101 both in stainless. That said the oldest handgun I have is my P-35 in blue (black oxide). A silicone gun and reel cloth keeps it looking good and rust free but it is getting some holster wear on the slide which would not happen as quickly with stainless. I have seen some of the older nickle plated guns start to flake their finishes however I have a 870 that was brush nickled in 1972 and it has no flaking what so ever. Just depends on how you maintain your weapons.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Many good replies in the thread already. I've owned one nickel plated gun in my life, and it was a Colt Trooper MkIV. I've been around and worked in the manufacturing process of plating steel for the past three years. Quality goes along with process. Standards are standards. If it passes QC, it meets specs, but if the process was a bit off, it won't show up until years down the road with use. A few things I do know, the cylinder face will be discolored very quickly with a NP³ finish due to the heat. Carbon build up is more easily removed from the nickel plating than blued. A blued gun doesn't stand out as much as a shiny one when you're being tactical, but a shiny gun has it's advantages in certain situations (I won't go there, and I'll plead the fifth). Also......if you ever ding a barrel with an MP³ finish, it will be more difficult to repair as opposed to a blued barrel. Think about it. The blue penetrates the metal, the NP³ is a coating and it's harder. I've actually seen NP³ flake or chip, but never on a firearm. Chrome plating, I've seen more since the process needs to be more precise, and the layer is thinner.
    Pros and cons of NP³ vs. blued for carry? My personal choice would be blued and simply maintain it well according to conditions. I'd actually rather have stainless steel over any plating process, and yes...stainless can rust too. I've seen it. At this point, I'm trying really hard to leave the Glock finish out, but since they don't make revolvers, I guess it's a non-issue.

Living in south fla.,you must drink the Kool Aid!!
    Blued guns always-G19 and Charter .38
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Both are good. I have heard of nickel finishes flaking but never actually saw it. It adds a little more protection over blue, and may be sensitive to some solvents.

What he said X2. I do love the looks though.

Links