H&K USP .45 Standard

This is a discussion on H&K USP .45 Standard within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Folks..I'm the proud owner of a brand new H&K USP .45 Standard. I'm going to the range tomorrow to run her through the paces. Does ...

Thread: H&K USP .45 Standard

Question H&K USP .45 Standard

Folks..I'm the proud owner of a brand new H&K USP .45 Standard. I'm going to the range tomorrow to run her through the paces. Does any current or prior USP.45 owners have any insights, or advice for me?

Thanks
    Mad Max
    Desert Eagle .44 Magnum, Baby Eagle .45
    Glock 22
    H&K USP .45
    Ruger P89, 345PR
    Mossberg 590 special purpose
    Weatherby Vanguard .308
    Bushmaster M-4

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Excellent.

Not a USP owner but comparing as we often do that and the SIG's - I can be pretty certain you will be delighted.

From my POV right now - go shoot the snot out of it - get that puppy broken in
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I love my USP 45 fullsize. The mechanical recoil reducer works VERY WELL. The mag release can take some getting used to since it's part of the trigger guard. Be sure to push DOWN with a slightly curling movement with the forefinger. Mine gave me some sore fingers for awhile. But the movement allows you to stay on target without adjusting the grip on the weapon to reload. Mine has a gunlight slung on the rails so it's now the dedicated HD gun. Looking at getting a Sig P229 SAS 40 for my new dedicated carry gun.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    shoot the heck out of it
    I've had my HK 45 full size for 8 years, no problems, slide finish is still great
    like Ex said, practice with the mag release a bit, after a few times you'll see its very well placed
    I purchased a Hogue rubber grip for mine, it was already pretty easy to handle, but it made follow up shots dead on, even easier to handle
    Some people will disagree with me and flame the ProMags, but I've bought 6 of the 12 rounders and they have performed without a flaw, to each his own

when I carry my HK concealed I use a Predator Kydex IWB holster
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by maqueswell
    Folks..I'm the proud owner of a brand new H&K USP .45 Standard.

Thanks
    Mad Max
    45 standard? im guessing you mean Fullsize?

Nothing insight full to add .... just add ammo and shoot

Mines been pretty flawless since day one nothing exciting to write about

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra
    Some people will disagree with me and flame the ProMags, but I've bought 6 of the 12 rounders and they have performed without a flaw, to each his own
    i have 2 promags in 10 round for the usp and they run perfect in the Hk other guns promags are crap

Exclamation Shoot the HECK OUT OF IT!

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra
    shoot the heck out of it
    I've had my HK 45 full size for 8 years, no problems, slide finish is still great.
    Like Ex said, practice with the mag release a bit, after a few times you'll see its very well placed.
    I purchased a Hogue rubber grip for mine, it was already pretty easy to handle, but it made follow up shots dead on, even easier to handle.
    Yeah, I put a Hogue "slip on"....I guess it's called a GLOCK SOCK... over my raspy grip, too.

When I first got mine it was on the advice of my best buddy, a recently retired SpecOps officer who told me that if he had to choose one gun to take to WAR straight from the box it'd be an H&K USP 45. So I decided to test those words. I took mine, straight from the box with only the factory lube and decided to shoot it until it jammed without further lubrication or cleaning. TWO THOUSAND ROUNDS LATER....I decided I had to clean the gun because I just felt awful ABUSING this fine machine. No jams....no NOTHIN'!

Now every other gun I've ever shot, even my 1911's (but not my Glock which likes to shoot dry and dirty) needs to be relubricated after each 250 rds down range or I start to get sludge buildup that tends to cause stoppages. Not the H&K and not the Glock. But my Glock is a 40. My only 45 that rocks all day long & all night long forever is the H&K.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Excellent Gun

I've had a USP 45 fullsize for about 6 years, and have put about 2000 rounds through it without any failures to feed, fire or eject. It is an excellent gun, built like a tank and very reliable. The gun is pretty large, but surprisingly light in weight because of the polymer frame. I haven't tried to carry it because of its size, but use it for range and home defense.

If you are used to shooting full size steel 1911s (as I am), you will find the USP 45f to be somewhat "top heavy" by comparison, and the trigger has a different feel. At first I tended to jerk some of my shots low with the USP because of this weight distribution. But with practice and concentration on pulling the trigger straight back, I overcame this. At this point I feel that I am as accurate with the USP as with a Colt Gold Cup. The double action trigger on the USP is overly heavy, but the single action trigger pull is fine.

Talking

Thanks for all the info guys, I just finished cleaning her, simple take down like the glock...excellent. Tomorrow 10am..shootin time..
    Desert Eagle .44 Magnum, Baby Eagle .45
    Glock 22
    H&K USP .45
    Ruger P89, 345PR
    Mossberg 590 special purpose
    Weatherby Vanguard .308
    Bushmaster M-4

VIP Member
    I have smaller hands so the full-sized grip is plenty big for me.

I have two Pro Mag magazines and they are worth their weight in gold!

Wait for it.........

....to do malf drills since they are so &^#%&@ unreliable mags (well at least mine are!)

I added Trijicon NS on mine....the gun recoils nice and light for a .45...not that a .45 bounces much (or me) in recoil...but recoil of a USP is even lighter than your average .45....she's also nice and accurate.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I just ran 200rds through my USP45T a couple of days ago, Oh So Sweet. It's been a month since I ran through a case of anything, time for another one.
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

I used to have the USP fullsize in 9mm. I only sold it because I moved up to .40. I have the Sig 229 now in .40/.357 sig, but I wouldn't mind picking up another USP only this time in .40 or .45.

I shot my buddys h&k .45 a while back and it was amazing. That is the cadillac of pistols. The recoil was so managable it was scary. My taurus 9mm kicks harder. One of the finest pistols on the market if you ask me. Congrats on the excellent decision.

Congrats. I have the compact .45 because the full size is too big for my hands. I second the admiration for the recoil reduction system, it works very well. The best thing about an HK is predictability, if you pull the trigger, it is going to go off without a hitch. I won't use anything but the HK mags in mine, and if you watch places like CDNN you can purchase them on sale sometimes. I paid $25 each for the two extras I purchased last year. Now to find a Sig 229R DAK...

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    Yeah, I put a Hogue "slip on"....I guess it's called a GLOCK SOCK... over my raspy grip, too.

When I first got mine it was on the advice of my best buddy, a recently retired SpecOps officer who told me that if he had to choose one gun to take to WAR straight from the box it'd be an H&K USP 45.
    It would have to be the M1A for me.....
    However, the HK would be a nice sidearm....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Links