Sig Sauer 1911?

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sold my LCP and I know for sure I'm going with a .45 ACP as my next carry gun. I really like the look ...

Thread: Sig Sauer 1911?

Sig Sauer 1911?

I sold my LCP and I know for sure I'm going with a .45 ACP as my next carry gun. I really like the look and slimness of the 1911 (3" and 4") but I'm not going to pay big Kimber dollars for one nor do I really want to go with Kimber after a lot of stuff I've read (good and bad).

I'm looking at a Sig 1911 that my local shop has, it's two tone with wood grips and I believe it's 4". I have read about just about all other companies' 1911's but I have yet to read anything on Sig 1911's.

Any thoughts?

If I don't go with a 1911 then I'm looking at the G30/6.
    Glock 30SF

2. Remove Ads

I have a SIG 1911. I won't make any specific comments on it, but I will share my experience as input. I first bought the SIG GSR (the 1911 they were making about a year or two ago) in June 2009. It had extractor problems that resulted in 3 trips back to the factory, culminating in a warranty replacement. In May of this year, I got the new one, a current model SIG 1911. The slide failed to lock back on the last shot on 9 out of every 10 magazines that got put through it, regardless of brand. I also have a Springfield GI, which has never given me problems and cost half as much. I took the slide stop out of the Springfield and put it in the SIG. The SIG suddenly started working perfectly and the Springfield failed to lock open on the first mag. I ordered a new slide stop, and when it arrived I put it in the SIG only to have the same problem. So I swapped the slide stop again, this time putting the newly ordered part in the Springfield and the Springfield part back in the SIG, at which point they both ran perfectly. This leads me to believe that not only did they ship it (a warranty replacement no less) with an out of spec slide stop, they actually drilled the hole it goes into slightly crooked, and that the Springfield stop is just big enough to compensate for it. Just my experience.

When I moved out of my 45ACP Glocks (G21 and G30) for my own reasons.....I was looking to get back into another 1911A1 pistol myself. This was in 2007/2008. At the time, SIG had just recently introduced their entry into the 1911 style pistols. I think it was originally called the "Revolution".......then the GSR. I can't remember everything. The thing was, I had been looking at the SIG line of pistols specifically in 45ACP for quite some time. Online, at local gun shows, and local shops. Picked up the standard P220 many times here and there. The prices on some of their CPO pistols at the time were in a good range for me. $550-$600. My thoughts on a 45ACP for me pretty much evolved from my introduction to the M1911A1 in service, and I much prefer the single action to this day because of that. I'd been down the road with a couple of DA/SA pistols even after I had my first Glock. Just not for me. I'd also been warned from folks in the industry to stay clear of new models from manufacturers just getting into the game. This goes for just about anything since everyone wants to build a 1911 and compete (since everyone likes a 1911 in one form or another). Make it more attractive, or appealing.....or make it based on your reputation, and it will probably sell. Changes in tooling and the manufacturing process are costly.....so are the engineers that design the prototype. I once was also interested in the Taurus new (at the time) offering of their PT1911. Heard some good, some bad, read some nice reviews in the magazines....etc. Even questioned the forum about it. Even looked at some of the newer RIA offerings on the same platform around the same time. New on the market seems to involve a few risks to the consumer. Just like with automobiles.....the consumer is often the most available testing grounds for the new product. According to numbers, the initial cost to the consumer is high while the consumer generally wants to have what's new on the market and be the first to have it. The high cost offsets the factory recalls, consumer complaints, PR, and labor at the factory for re-designing or implementing new/replacement parts (warranty work), and re-tooling. Brand new products are seldom competitive on price the first go-round even if they are defective in certain ways.
    The long and short of things? My P220 SAO is the best 45ACP I've ever owned, and seems to combine everything I wanted in a search for another 1911A1. Other than that, I'd be more than happy to get back into a decent mil-spec model with some history behind it. I seriously don't think I'll ever drop a grand on any 1911 style pistol even if I won the lottery. That's just me.
    Experience is always a good thing. I might suggest checking a more specific forum for the information you're seeking. That's what I did when I was looking. Haven't been there in years.
    http://sigforum.com/eve/forums

Look into a Colt, Kimber Springer, or any of the other 1911 types. I'd stay away from the GSR, as there were many litle manufactruing quirks about the gun. The Smith or Taurus 1911 guns are pretty good too.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    For that money I would look at Colt, Springer, or Kimber. I have liked the Kimbers I have owned, but there are compelling arguments about Colt and Springers lifetime warranty.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    I had a Sig 1911 RCS model. It was 100% reliable for me. Only reson I no longer had it is that I needed the money. The only drawback I see to the Sig 1911's are they are not 100% true to the 1911 deminsions, so a holster to fit it properly may take some looking to find. Might wait for Janq to weigh in on the thread. If I'm not mistaken his EDC is a Sig 1911.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    for a cheap 1911, go with a rock island, mine has functioned without flaw thus far with multiple times of ammo. they look good too
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    for a cheap 1911, go with a rock island, mine has functioned without flaw thus far with multiple times of ammo. they look good too
    If he is looking at a Sig I don't think he is thinking cheap.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

The "Sig Arms", "GSRs", the earlies, had faulty specs. The newer "Sig Sauer 1911" stamped slide like the one on my Sig Sauer 1911 C3 is reliable, scarry accurate ( at par with my TRP), and is a CCO configuration. Plus, is a beautiful gun (if you like bi-tones). The C3 has light weight frame (officer's size, with 4.25" true commander slide).

Thanks for all the input. I will take all options into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    If he is looking at a Sig I don't think he is thinking cheap.
    My price range isn't as much as a new Kimber but probably up to the price I can get a Sig 1911 new locally ($700-$900).

Quote Originally Posted by bubbahoundog View Post
    The "Sig Arms", "GSRs", the earlies, had faulty specs. The newer "Sig Sauer 1911" stamped slide like the one on my Sig Sauer 1911 C3 is reliable, scarry accurate ( at par with my TRP), and is a CCO configuration. Plus, is a beautiful gun (if you like bi-tones). The C3 has light weight frame (officer's size, with 4.25" true commander slide).
    Thats helpful to know because I'm looking at the new Sig 1911's. I also happen to be looking at a two-tone Sig 1911. The two-tone look is my favorite for any gun. I agree that model is beautiful.

If for some reason when the time comes I can't spend what a new Sig 1911 costs then I will definitely look at Rock or Springfield. I don't really want the full-size 1911 as I carry on my hip right at 3 o'clock (occasionally appendix) and that wouldn't be too comfortable. 4" would be fine.
    Glock 30SF

Sorry you don't like Kimber. Yes they need some break in but from about round 280 on my SIS pro has been oustanding (I do use Cobra mags.) and VERY accurate. I have never had a 1911 including Gold Cups that did not have a "fit" once in a while. I just take it as the "1911 life style". If you wnt a trouble free .45 acp better go Glock, XD or none 1911 Sig. My comments and a buck somethig will get you a coffee somewhere.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Links