1st Range Day With New PX4

This is a discussion on 1st Range Day With New PX4 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What a great day for shooing! Clear skys, no wind, steady 85 degrees; If only the weather was always this nice!!!! The day started with ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By WJP9
  • 1 Post By SammyIamToday
  • 1 Post By Garg
  • 1 Post By Garg

Thread: 1st Range Day With New PX4

1st Range Day With New PX4

What a great day for shooing! Clear skys, no wind, steady 85 degrees; If only the weather was always this nice!!!! The day started with a couple hiccups: 1) Batteries dead in the digital (sorry...no pics), 2) Girlfriend giving me the "need to spend quality time lecture". Sorry GF, my buddy is home from the Marines for the week and we're off to the shooting range!!!

A little background on the PX4 9mm....I got a good deal on a like new one for $400. When I went to pick it up, it was in the case next to a newly for sale used Sig 229 in .40 DAK with night sights for $599. I seriously considered leaving the Beretta behind as I have been on the lookout for a .357Sig friendly gun. I weighed out the pros and cons....The Sig didn't have a rail, was $200 more, had no external hammer, and I had already spent a lot of time researching the heck out of the PX4. Plus I would need to purchse the .357 Barrel. I paid my balance on the PX4 and got out of there QUICK so I couldn't change my mind. There will be a Sig in my future...just not on this partiular day.

1st Impressions

The look of the PX4 took a little getting used to. It is slightly futuristic in appearance. The lines, however, are very clean and attractive. Fit and finish is very tight. I love the weight and feel of the PX4 in my hand. It is too big for ME to carry concealed....but when I hold it, I feel like I'm holding a lot of gun. I like that. It has its place as my new House Gun. The polymer frame is much larger than that of the Glock or XD. Ergonomics are perfect....simply put it points where you want it to. I am not a huge fan of the supernova light activated sights ...IMO Beretta should have stepped up here and put on a nice set of tritium sights. I would have been happy to pay $50-75 more for the gun and have them on there.

First Shots

I headed to the range with a friend (a Marine) and 500rds of Remington UMC 115gr FMJ (don't roast me here on ammo selection....good blasting ammo for the range and I paid $5.85 a box). The two 17rd mags loaded relatively easily with a little extra effort put into the 16th and 17th rounds. I shot at 15yrds on an army L target. The first two mags left there mark with the 9-10 rings shot to shreads with one central large hole. There was one outlier in the 6 ring. I was shocked at the accuracy right out of the box. Even though the sights are pretty much useless in the dark, they perform well as standard sights. There were no failures to feed/fire during the 500 rd test.

The D/A trigger pull is smooth and you can easily feel when it will break. S/A was very light and enjoyable to shoot. The ergonomics of the PX4 and the rotating barrel do a terriffic job absorbing recoil. The gun did not feel snappy at the muzzle, nor at the grip. It is strange to describe, but I think accurate to say that you can almost feel the entire gun "sponging" up the energy. The muzzle is instantly back on target for followup shots. I did not get to practice double taps, to my disappointment, as this range has a no rapid fire rule and the range officer is a freak about rules.

Long story short I am THRILLED with my purchase and happy to add a unique gun to my collection . It's a keeper. And before I forget....My Marine buddy and I were both shooting my PX4. I outshot him by far....this was surprising to me as his service sidearm on base is a Beretta 92....he wasn't happy.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by WJP9; July 7th, 2006 at 05:51 PM.
    Parrisk likes this.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Great result Bill - remember when you mentioned you'd got it.

True enough it does look a tad ''odd'' compared to some, but then so too does my CX4 Storm Carbine - but things change when in the hand I reckon and if it feels good and shoots good - it is good

Thx for the report and glad you had a great time with your buddy - range days are usually some of the best memories.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WJP9
    There will be a Sig in my future...just not on this partiular day.
    Be careful, when you get that SIG the Beretta may never see the light of day again!

Sounds like you had a good day. My Beretta is a Neos .22, when I don't have the Browning Medalist out the Neos is my favorite .22.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

When I mouth off in those threads about new guns malfunctioning and needing repair during their "break in" period, this is what I'm talking about when I say a pistol should work fine right out of the box! I presently own Ruger, Glock and Beretta and they all took right off with no hiccups.

I've got a Beretta 92G-SD (with Langdon Tactical Technology, aka Ernest Langdon, competition trigger job), and love the quality of this pistol. I've not shot a Px4, and am afraid to, since I'd likely buy it on the spot...those Berettas are dangerous that way...heh.

Great report; enjoy the Beretta, and get that "quality time" taken care of right away!

Thanks for the informative range report - I'm gonna have to definitely check out the PX4!

Beretta Fan
    92FS 9mm
    Tomcat .32
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Beretta Voyeur

I was interested in your report on the Beretta PX4, since I have never owned a Beretta, although I have owned about 50 handguns of various makes. I shot a Beretta 92 once, renting it at the range, and have handled quite a few at gun shops and gun shows. I recently handled the new PX4 at a gun shop, and was impressed with the ergonomics and look of the gun. It seemed very well made and the rotating barrel design is quite interesting.

I guess I never bought a Beretta 92 or the similar 96 because they always looked a little odd to me, with the cut away slide exposing the top of the barrel. I realize that this is just aesthetics, but I tend to favor a closed slide from a "looks" standpoint. I looked hard at the newer "Cougar" model Beretta produced, and liked the feel of the grip and the rotating barrel, but never took the plunge. And the polymer framed 9000 model Beretta produced was just ugly, and excessively wide through the back of the slide, reminding me of one of those pickup trucks with four wheels on the back axle instead of two. So I am still lacking in Berettas although I concede that they are a long-established and successful firearms company.

Maybe the PX4 will be the one?

Woohoo, seems like the Px4 is getting more and more popular. Glad to see you enjoy the handgun.
    Parrisk likes this.

I seem to be hearing alot of folks talking about buying the Px4... Must be doing something good out there...
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Like to try one out.....
    as well as the carbine....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC
    I've not shot a Px4, and am afraid to, since I'd likely buy it on the spot...those Berettas are dangerous that way...heh.
    Indeed they are, and the PX4 more so than most.
    Resistance is futile.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    Be careful, when you get that SIG the Beretta may never see the light of day again!

(SNIP)
    ....back when I was a rookie FLEO, I really wanted to trade in my SIG P228 9mm as an on-duty carry weapon for my personally owned Beretta 92F Compact 9mm....it felt better in my hand, I shot it better and I appreciated the inclusion of a manual safety. That said, my issue P228 was a very nice gun...having a short trigger and night sights were a big plus too.

Those Px4's are nice! I will likely get a Type C 9mm and any Px4 (and Compact Px4) in .45 ACP.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Garg...don't get your hopes too high, remember my carry piece is a Glock and I've now got the itch for a 1911!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC
    Garg...don't get your hopes too high, remember my carry piece is a Glock and I've now got the itch for a 1911!
    Why a 1911? Out of practice clearing jams?

Links