Do you have laser grips? - Page 4

Do you have laser grips?

This is a discussion on Do you have laser grips? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have them on my 2.25 DAO sp101 only. Crimson Trace overmolded rubber, they handle recoil good and I love the front activation. the laser helps ...

View Poll Results: Laser Grips/Laser of some kind

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have laser grips

98 57.99%
  • No, I don't have laser grips

61 36.09%
  • I'm against them

10 5.92%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Do you have laser grips?

Have them on my 2.25 DAO sp101 only. Crimson Trace overmolded rubber, they handle recoil good and I love the front activation. the laser helps with follow up shots. I cant understand why anyone would not like them on a magnum snubbie.

4 sets of CTG: 1911 Colt, Para .45 LDA CCW, S&W 642 and Sig 232....and a green laser on my Ruger 556. I'm old, I need all the help I can get. When you can draw at 15 yards, and shoot two handed from the waist and put two magazines of .45 in a 10 circle without laser grips, then you can convince me they are of no use. Until then, they have a place and a time.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    They might be nice as a range toy, but that's it. I don't see how a laser is going to seriously help in a defensive shooting. You're probably not even gonig to aim down your sights, let alone be able to stabilize a tiny red or green dot right on your moving target while you're also moving.
    To me that is exactly the point of a laser. In a defensive situation your BP is up, heart racing, adrenaline going so if most think they can stop and aim then they are kidding themselves. The folks I know who are trained even say it is next to impossible to get on target. It is why police shoot center mass.

With a laser you can just aim and get there. If hip shooting, again aim in direction, paint target and pull. My feeling is better chance of hitting if you know you are aiming right and see dot on BG.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    To those that are critical of the use of laser sights I ask.

Do you drive a car with a automatic or non-syncronized transmission?
    Do you drive a car with power brakes?
    Do you drive a car with or without power steering?
    Just asking...
    I don't drive a car relying on the car to drive for me either. Remember that Mercedes Benz commercial where the ppl say "I didn't know the car ahead of me had stopped but my car did." I don't want to be near those people.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I don't drive a car relying on the car to drive for me either. Remember that Mercedes Benz commercial where the ppl say "I didn't know the car ahead of me had stopped but my car did." I don't want to be near those people.
    And a laser sighting system doesn't "drive" the gun for you does it?

I agree with bmcgilvray and Rexter on all said. I traded for a gun a few years ago with a laser, and experimented with it for awhile and reached the same conclusion. I couldnt see what it was good for. I recently sold it. In competition, I have seen people come out to the firingline with all sorts of gizmos on their guns, and still get their asses handed to them by people who are better skilled in the fundementals of shooting. This is so often the case, that I really think that pretty much everyone I see is a non shooter to begin with. When I briefly had mine, I could not find one use for it that gave me an advantage in anything except coon hunting at night. Some say you need proper training to use it. I say learn to use the damn sites on your fighting gun, and you have all the training you need.

Just an FYI for those interested.........(I'll put it here instead of starting another thread). CTC is offering a $30 off coupon + free shipping through Christmas day.

http://cl.exct.net/?ju=fe2a1679746d0...4&jb=ffcf14&t=

Not against them, but just one more button to push.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    This as usual has turned into just another version of a "caliber war".

My way is better, no it's not, yes it is....

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Checking in for the CT equipped CZ crowd.

I had CT grips on my 75B Stainless,

the P-01 I gave to my Dad,

and also
    the P-06 that I just sold.

However, I'll be picking up a another P-01 or a PCR for (High Noon) shoulder holster carry in the Spring, if not the
    new P-02.

It should fit equally as good as a P-01.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    This as usual has turned into just another version of a "caliber war".

My way is better, no it's not, yes it is....

Naah, it really hasn't. It is just an airing of various points of view which is always a good thing. The reader may decide.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Bubba, if those lasers aid in SD situations, I'm all ears here, or eyes as the case here is. Hell, I'll buy one if you can give me some very practical applications the armed citizen is likely to encounter where it makes that much difference. I am not beyond learning new things.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Bubba, if those lasers aid in SD situations, I'm all ears here, or eyes as the case here is. Hell, I'll buy one if you can give me some very practical applications the armed citizen is likely to encounter where it makes that much difference. I am not beyond learning new things.
    - Cornered Cat has a great writeup on the use of lasers.

http://corneredcat.com/Gear/lasergood.aspx
    http://corneredcat.com/Gear/laserpractice.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I just read these references and a couple of things stand out to me. One, is to trust the red dot and shoot when you see it on the target. I tried this with mine, and I felt like I was waiting to long to fire attempting to find the dot. And #2, If it is so dark you cannot see the sites on your gun, how do you see the threat for positive threat ID purposes? Unless, you are also using a WML system to compliment your laser.
    Most of the other arguements are subjective. Back when I used to shoot unlimited, it was and still is true that red dot sites are quicker to pick up than iron sites, but that was a game and not real life, using gear that was not practical for SD carry. But for kicks sometimes I would compete with open sites, and truthfully for practical purposes, the difference was not noticable unless timed. I just simply see no need or advantage to the normal guy or gal carrying for SD that it gives.

I have carried a gun professionally for 21 years of my life, and it has included alot of low light to no light pucker factor situations, and I have never seen a time where a laser would have given me any advantage. But if you think they do, by all means have one.

I'm certain that the average Defensive Carry Forum member who embraces the laser sight is both more savvy and a better pistol shot than the average handgun owner. There are definitely some folks here on the Forum who can shoot circles around me. That said, casual observation of laser sighted handguns in use at the range, laser sighted handgun owners, laser sight talk at gun shops and gun shows by both sellers of laser sights and their potential buyers, reveals a general lack of knowledge, skill, and experience which could cause an observer to equate laser sights with the unseasoned shooter.

There is nothing that a laser sight can do for me personally at the ranges at which I am likely to employ a handgun for self defense. The un-laser-equipped handgun will be fine for the longest distances within my home, such as the hallway or the length of the living and dining rooms, or in situations involving no more than a car-length distance, as in a nighttime mall parking lot or a convenience store fuel island. If there is enough light for me to identify the target as the threat then I can reliably hit it without lasers or even a perfunctory use of the sights at those distances when using my favored handguns. Most good shots here on the Forum are capable of accomplishing at least that level of accuracy and many can effect good hits at even longer distances, and they can do it without resorting to gadgets. Some skilled shooters may perceive a need to enhance their capability to make hits by employing a laser and if they are willing to properly set up the laser sight and practice with it then the laser might be beneficial.

My brother-in-law is the only person I've actually observed who makes use of lasers on some of his handguns and can do good work with them. He's an excellent shot with a handgun and can do just as well without them though. He just likes playing with them.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links