Do you have laser grips?

This is a discussion on Do you have laser grips? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, they are fun. And great on treed coons and possums. Maybe I am just getting old and not with it anymore....

View Poll Results: Laser Grips/Laser of some kind

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have laser grips

98 57.99%
  • No, I don't have laser grips

61 36.09%
  • I'm against them

10 5.92%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Do you have laser grips?

Yes, they are fun. And great on treed coons and possums. Maybe I am just getting old and not with it anymore.

2. Remove Ads

I have lasers for two of my pistols. They are a wonderful training aid. With snap caps and lasers you can see how clean your trigger pull is. You can also point shoot from various positions without expending any ammo.
    On a sick day a stripped frame with a laser and a couple of cats is a great way to kill some time. After seeing how some will immediately lock onto the laser and ignore everything else I would not think of venturing into big cat country without one! Don't know if it would work the same on a big cat as a house cat, but it could be very entertaining to find out! ( of course that experiment would be with a fully functional, fully loaded pistol, just in case)
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'm certain that the average Defensive Carry Forum member who embraces the laser sight is both more savvy and a better pistol shot than the average handgun owner. There are definitely some folks here on the Forum who can shoot circles around me. That said, casual observation of laser sighted handguns in use at the range, laser sighted handgun owners, laser sight talk at gun shops and gun shows by both sellers of laser sights and their potential buyers, reveals a general lack of knowledge, skill, and experience which could cause an observer to equate laser sights with the unseasoned shooter.
    I agree with this 100%. The first time my wife used a laser, she thought it was going to be cheating. She actually shot worse the first dozen or so rounds since she immediately had some bad trigger pull due to anticipation. She had to relax a little and was able to improve her shooting due to correcting some bad habits she picked up along the way. One thing that she did like a lot was that she has a bad habit of closing her weak eye to aim. With the laser, she was able to bring the dot on target much faster with both eyes open.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    There is nothing that a laser sight can do for me personally at the ranges at which I am likely to employ a handgun for self defense. The un-laser-equipped handgun will be fine for the longest distances within my home, such as the hallway or the length of the living and dining rooms, or in situations involving no more than a car-length distance, as in a nighttime mall parking lot or a convenience store fuel island.
    I can shoot well without a laser, but I also carry a lot of pocket guns with barely usable sights like the Ruger LCP. I can point shoot fairly accrately with it at SD distances, but a laser makes it much easier to aim if needed.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Yes, they are fun. And great on treed coons and possums. Maybe I am just getting old and not with it anymore.
    Getting old and not being with it myself, is exactly the reason I like a laser. I don't have to have it but it does make things easier.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Also excellent with the Ruger LCR.

Esp. mated with a High Noon holster.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

I had them installed on my J Frames but have since removed them and sold them to another shooter. I practice several times a week and have attained a comfortable level of accuracy without using the CTs. In actual use they tend to slow me down. I also want to keep my CCW guns as simple and uncomplicated as possible. I don't want to form a dependency on anything that uses batteries or is too complicated mechanically.

For CCW, KISS prevails.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Many reasons for folks to choose a laser without getting into the sales pitches and videos of why everyone should have one. I keep coming back to this thread to read some of the responses. The laser is an aid. My wife feels more confident with her carry pistol because of it, and that's why she has her G26 with LaserGrips. I git her set up with the whole ordeal because she worked nights at a convenience store. I personally don't see the need on my CC pistols. My night sights on mine do me just fine. If it's to aid with a vision problem or seeing the pistol sights themselves, then I recommend seeing a doctor. If you are ever thinking of getting a laser for your CCW for an intimidation factor, then I'd recommend against it. For training? I'd recommend against that too. If you need an aid in training, you'll become dependent on the aid and never really train at all. Still, it's a personal choice. A good holster, a trip to the doctor, eyeglasses with insurance, a good belt, a set of night sights, an eight hour training class, four boxes of ammo, gas for a trip to the range, etc........all should cost you less than that laser that seems too cool not to have on your CC.
    Did someone say something about a caliber war going on here?

Ram Rod, can't really say it any better than that. Leave it to you to put things in perspective!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I own many things that I do not "really need". Laser grips are another tool in my firearms tool bag and are helpful as such. I am a very good shooter and don't need laser sights on my handguns to hit my target, but they are another helpful tool that may help me defend myself in the uncertain conditions that happen to people when they must defend their life. Maybe not "needed" but helpful and just maybe could save your life.....so make up your own mind.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Many reasons for folks to choose a laser without getting into the sales pitches and videos of why everyone should have one. I keep coming back to this thread to read some of the responses. The laser is an aid. My wife feels more confident with her carry pistol because of it, and that's why she has her G26 with LaserGrips. I git her set up with the whole ordeal because she worked nights at a convenience store. I personally don't see the need on my CC pistols. My night sights on mine do me just fine. If it's to aid with a vision problem or seeing the pistol sights themselves, then I recommend seeing a doctor. If you are ever thinking of getting a laser for your CCW for an intimidation factor, then I'd recommend against it. For training? I'd recommend against that too. If you need an aid in training, you'll become dependent on the aid and never really train at all. Still, it's a personal choice. A good holster, a trip to the doctor, eyeglasses with insurance, a good belt, a set of night sights, an eight hour training class, four boxes of ammo, gas for a trip to the range, etc........all should cost you less than that laser that seems too cool not to have on your CC.
    Did someone say something about a caliber war going on here?
    So, if a laser is an aid, then by your logic you consider sights what?

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    So, if a laser is an aid, then by your logic you consider sights what?
    Natural.

If you'd like I could elaborate further on tools, aids and the human body and the interactions involved. Any tool we use (such as the pistol) to accomplish a task...is an extension and it's a remote extension of ourselves when circumstances dictate our own physical characteristics can't solve a problem or situation. If we extend our tools, we're working with something twice removed from which we are capable of. Extensions are extra tools to compliment tools. If one chooses the correct tool for the application, there's no need to hunt through the toolbox for a supplement. I've seen plenty of primary tools destroyed with supplementary tools due to the lack of selecting the best tool for the job at hand. This relates to everything in real life the way I see it. Again....just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Natural.

If you'd like I could elaborate further on tools, aids and the human body and the interactions involved. Any tool we use (such as the pistol) to accomplish a task...is an extension and it's a remote extension of ourselves when circumstances dictate our own physical characteristics can't solve a problem or situation. If we extend our tools, we're working with something twice removed from which we are capable of. Extensions are extra tools to compliment tools. If one chooses the correct tool for the application, there's no need to hunt through the toolbox for a supplement. I've seen plenty of primary tools destroyed with supplementary tools due to the lack of selecting the best tool for the job at hand. This relates to everything in real life the way I see it. Again....just my opinion.
    Interesting string of logic. But you seem to be assuming that your correct tool is the correct tool.

At one time a stone axe was the correct tool. Just sayin'...

I've been looking at this tread for a while and the only practical SD use I can see is in a front to front confrontation with a BG. A dot on his chest with an accompaning "don't get any closer or I'll shoot"! Giving a visual aid to supplement the verbal command given.

BTW, if you are in that situation, things aren't looking that great for you.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    I've been looking at this tread for a while and the only practical SD use I can see is in a front to front confrontation with a BG. A dot on his chest with an accompaning "don't get any closer or I'll shoot"! Giving a visual aid to supplement the verbal command given.

BTW, if you are in that situation, things aren't looking that great for you.
    Thats bad too. If you pull it you better use it, or have a pressing need too. Bottom line is either you are profiecient and ready or your not. At the moment of truth, you will not be thinking of anything but ending the threat, and no gizmos are gonna help you. You either have it in you or you dont.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Thats bad too. If you pull it you better use it, or have a pressing need too. Bottom line is either you are profiecient and ready or your not. At the moment of truth, you will not be thinking of anything but ending the threat, and no gizmos are gonna help you. You either have it in you or you dont.
    In this we both agree.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links