Do you have laser grips? - Page 7

Do you have laser grips?

This is a discussion on Do you have laser grips? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have them, because I'm 70 y.o. and wear trifocals. I don't want to be fumbling for glasses on the bedside table. I only have ...

View Poll Results: Laser Grips/Laser of some kind

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have laser grips

98 57.99%
  • No, I don't have laser grips

61 36.09%
  • I'm against them

10 5.92%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Do you have laser grips?

VIP Member
    I have them, because I'm 70 y.o. and wear trifocals. I don't want to be fumbling for glasses on the bedside table. I only have two hands -- one for the Sig220 and one for the tac light.

OTOH, at the range, I still shoot a 90+ every month in a standard Q target 50 round qual -- using only the iron sites. This month, I shot my second 98 of the year.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I have them, because I'm 70 y.o. and wear trifocals. I don't want to be fumbling for glasses on the bedside table. I only have two hands -- one for the Sig220 and one for the tac light.

OTOH, at the range, I still shoot a 90+ every month in a standard Q target 50 round qual -- using only the iron sites. This month, I shot my second 98 of the year.
    Yes, you are another using a laser for the right reasons! I am about ready to join the bifocal brigade, myself.

Regarding the suggestion of different laser colors/patterns, I belong to an agency with several thousand officers, and a patrol division bigger than many whole PDs. On any given night, I could find myself clearing a building with officers I have never met before, especially along a border between patrol districts. So, I can see why my commanders use the previously-mentioned reason to prohibit lasers.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    nope but would love to get them but to much money
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Those testimonials sound very generic and stupid, not impressive at all. I am amazed how gullible people can be. I am not saying they dont have there uses, but I wouldnt bet my ass the adversary you meet will not be quicker with his iron sites than you think you are with a 350 dollar gadget that you have just trained yourself to rely on. Nothing is quicker than iron sites.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    These testimonials don't seem very impressive. They appear contrived and even suspect; just what might be found in advertising by a company attempting to market their products.
    You're probably right. Heck, I hear the moon landings were faked so that the Soviets would bankrupt themselves by trying to actually do it.

Seriously...if you don't believe those testimonials are legit, then do some research on your own. But only if you are going to have an open mind - otherwise, if your mind is made up, you would just be wasting your time.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.

www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Those testimonials sound very generic and stupid, not impressive at all. I am amazed how gullible people can be. I am not saying they dont have there uses, but I wouldnt bet my ass the adversary you meet will not be quicker with his iron sites than you think you are with a 350 dollar gadget that you have just trained yourself to rely on. Nothing is quicker than iron sites.
    And I am amazed how folks can discount after-action reviews from operators who have real-world combat experience with a piece of equipment.

CT lasers can be bought for $160, depending on the model.

Most folks who use lasers do most of their training with the laser turned off, because it is just so darn easy to hit with the laser on that it feels like cheating. Of course, in a real fight, I'll take that advantage if I can.

As far as "nothing being quicker than iron sights," I hardly know where to begin with that. I just came back from doing some trap shooting at night. Those of us with fiber optic sights on our shotguns did a whole lot better than those with "iron sights." Most self defense happens in low light - do the math.

Look, it's clear some of you have your minds set in stone, and no amount of evidence will convince you. IMHO, lasers can be a useful tool. They do require training, and are not a substitute for knowing basic shooting skills.

I'm done with this thread. Hopefully the OP got something out of it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.

www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    And I am amazed how folks can discount after-action reviews from operators who have real-world combat experience with a piece of equipment.

CT lasers can be bought for $160, depending on the model.

Most folks who use lasers do most of their training with the laser turned off, because it is just so darn easy to hit with the laser on that it feels like cheating. Of course, in a real fight, I'll take that advantage if I can.

As far as "nothing being quicker than iron sights," I hardly know where to begin with that. I just came back from doing some trap shooting at night. Those of us with fiber optic sights on our shotguns did a whole lot better than those with "iron sights." Most self defense happens in low light - do the math.

Look, it's clear some of you have your minds set in stone, and no amount of evidence will convince you. IMHO, lasers can be a useful tool. They do require training, and are not a substitute for knowing basic shooting skills.

I'm done with this thread. Hopefully the OP got something out of it.
    I didnt say they could not be useful. Just said I had no use for them for a number of reasons. One of these days, when you have enough time under your belt, you too will see the advantages of simplicity and return to it.

Wish they made them for a P238, would love to have it for quick sight acqusition.

Got'em on my Colt Combat Commander and NAA Guardian .380...................I like'em.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Sorry but by your logic if you took the sights off your gun you'd be lightning in a bottle. It takes no longer to acquire a laser dot than it does either your fuzzy front sight or fuzzy target. Yes that's right one of the two will not be in focus. You know it and I know it.

Bubba, I agree to a point. But proper combat shooting training, at close distance requires only a flash site picture. At 7 to 15 yards, most people can train well enough with little time and effort to hit a man at that distance by only referencing the front site.
    One time during our annual qualification, my front site came off, and I was still able to complete the course with an 86 percent score.
    Now here's something I found out that I didn't know. The Austrian army has compensated for the potential for sites to be broken on glocks by teaching to center the square back plate of the slide on the target. I tried this and it works well enough for solid hits at close range.
    I am sure if you practice with laser sites they may be great. I just prefer simplicity, could not see any advantage with the one I had for my purposes.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    You know here I am being the champion for lasers and I only have them on one gun. A 642 smith that I seldom carry unless the situation dictates.

Actually, I can see how it could be useful on a gun like the 642. With it low profile fixed sites it may be hard to reference. And they are a pain to have a night sighs installed. The laser makes sense to me here as a back up to your primary site system. I just would not want it to be my primary.

My G23 primary has factory night sights. The SP101 revolver has CT laser grips and is a "house gun". In this role the laser is very nice to have since the sights on the SP101 leave a bit to be desired. I didn't get them for intimidation value, though I agree a laser may have a psychological effect on a bad guy. On the other hand, I also believe that a proper, 2-handed, aggressive shooting stance with the gun leveled sends a similar message.
    Glock 23
    Ruger SP101 2.25"
    Taurus 740 Slim
    Diamondback DB380

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I don't mean to argue.
    Ever had a set of sights that needed to be adjusted?
    Ever had a front sight come off?

The only difference between a laser and a front site is the laser is on the target, not 30 inches in front of you. You don't have to pause to line up the laser anymore than you have to pause to index the front sight.

And yes a laser is a great help with those that have a vision problem. The biggest advantage that the laser has is that the eyes only have to focus on one distance. The human eye has problems focusing at different distances at the same
    time.
    To me a laser is just a natural progression in the systems used to align a weapon. Is it the perfect answer? Maybe not. But it's use is becoming more widely used. Remember those new fangeled "nite sights"?
    No I have never had a sight drift or fall off. I guess it can happen, but I've tossed my Glocks around in rocks and scraped them across pavement with no such problems.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links