The search for a better pocket pistol...

This is a discussion on The search for a better pocket pistol... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love my Ruger LCP greatly, it carries amazing, no extra fluff safeties, has never had a malfunction, eats absolutely everything I throw at it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The search for a better pocket pistol...

I love my Ruger LCP greatly, it carries amazing, no extra fluff safeties, has never had a malfunction, eats absolutely everything I throw at it ammunition wise and keeps right on ticking. Hell the price is even good.

The trouble I have is that I cannot hit the broad side of a barn with it so to speak. 10 yards out I have trouble hitting paper with it (and yes I know this isn't a target practice pistol or even comfortable to shoot but I need to know I can hit what I'm aiming), the lack of sights, and horribly long and heavy trigger give me an extremely hard time. There is also one fatal flaw I have a problem with, whenever I try to fire rapidly like I would in an actual emergency situation my thumb sometimes wonders on to the magazine realease... and this obviously is a problem.

Are there any recommendations for other pocket pistols that may solve my problems? Or does anyone know of a company doing trigger work on the LCPs? I could obviously purchase a laser unit for it but if I'm going to spend the cost of that it might just be better off to upgrade to a little something better...

RGC
    I painted the front site on my LCP white and that helped with the sight picture and I'm pretty good up to 10 yards. I also added a crimson trace which really helped quick follow up shots. I haven't found anything as small as the LCP that works any better. I found the long trigger pull was ok once you get used to it.

Try a thumbs-forward grip as long as your thumbs are not too close to the muzzle. That should help the issue of accidentally hitting the mag release.

The finger extension on the mag, the CT laser, painting the front sight...all really help. Dry firing will also help you get used to the trigger...pull it back in one steady, continuous motion.

The Rohrbaugh R9 has the mag release on the heel of the grip - not conducive to fast mag changes, but does eliminate the possibility of hitting the mag release on these small pistols. It is 3 + times the cost of the LCP, however.

I know some will tell you to get a snubbie revolver. While snubbies are great, they are too large to be pocket guns IMHO, unless you have some big pockets.

A Kahr PM9 can be pocket carried, but they cost more than the LCP, are heavier, and have their own set of quirks.

In my experience with half a dozen different small pistols, these things can be temperamental little beasts. Just seems to go with the territory.

Good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

For some of the exact reasons you mentioned is the reason I chose a S&W J-frame Airweight over the LCP.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Do you mind a little bit more weight and size? And a change in caliber? And a change from semi to revo?

Then a S&W 638 might be a good suggestion.

No fluff and buff required. No safety to flick off. Throw any kind of ammo that will fit in it and I'm 99.99% sure it'll go bang. Sights are better. Smooth to the back but the option of pulling the hammer back is still an option. No magazine release for your thumb to get cozy with. And I'm not sure, but trigger work can probably be done so the DA pull can be lighter.

I'm just sayin.......
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I have a lot of the guns mentioned in this thread, including the LCP. Hitting the magazine release is definitely a problem. Other than a lot more practice or another gun, there aren't a lot of other solutions. The Crimson Trace laser is a great option for the LCP and can make it a very accurate gun. I love the CT on mine. My suggestion would be to train more and get used to the trigger pull. You could also buy some Snap Caps and simply pull the trigger a few hundred times...

Some other thoughts.

Kahr P380 with Crimson Trace - This is my usual pocket carry. I like the trigger a lot more than the LCP's. It's a lot smoother and breaks easier. It is also rated for +P ammunition. The magazine release is in the same position as the LCP, so you may hit it accidently. It's also almost 2x the cost of the LCP.

Kahr PM9 with Crimson Trace - Very similar to the P380. I don't consider it to be a pocket gun, especially after you add a holster.

Seecamp - I have the .32ACP, but the .380ACP is very similar. Great build quality and probably the smallest .380 out there. It can be very finicky with ammunition. The magazine release is on the heel of the grip, so you won't accidently hit it while firing.

S&W J-Frame with Crimson Trace - I have the S&W 638 and I also don't consider it to be a pocket gun. The cylinder prints a lot more than something like the LCP.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    Do you mind a little bit more weight and size? And a change in caliber? And a change from semi to revo?

Then a S&W 638 might be a good suggestion.

No fluff and buff required. No safety to flick off. Throw any kind of ammo that will fit in it and I'm 99.99% sure it'll go bang. Sights are better. Smooth to the back but the option of pulling the hammer back is still an option. No magazine release for your thumb to get cozy with. And I'm not sure, but trigger work can probably be done so the DA pull can be lighter.

I'm just sayin.......
    Yea and I can shoot dang good groups with my 637 Airweight.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I have to agree with the others about the airweights. I carry a 340M&P with crimson trace and love it. Got a cheap pocket holster and it looks just like a cell phone in my jean's front pocket. Quite on the expensive side compared to the LCP, and not as many in the mag/cylinder, but it has a more powerful round and I can aim a lot better with it (I've got the same aiming problems with the LCP as well).
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

Pocket pistols are incredibly popular, but the fact still remains that they are tough little buggers to master. No matter how long or creepy the trigger, you just have to practice *hard* with these guns if you're determined to be successful with them. Not being able to hit the broad side of a barn is not a unique comment among those new to pocket pistols. Go slow, practice a lot, and make your practice count. If the recoil gets to you after 50 rounds (about my limit for .38s in a lightweight snubby), quit. There is always a temptation to load up full magazines and just blast away, but I suggest loading just half a mag full. Not only does that slow you down - a good thing by itself - but it forces you to practice reloading the gun. Use that opportunity to practice tactical reloads as well as speed reloads.

Also, don't set the bar too high for yourself. Pocket guns are not fight-stoppers at 50 feet, but rather at bad-breath distance. If your range lets you, start practicing at 5 yards and concentrate on getting 90% of your shots in the 10-ring or head zone of a police silhouette target. By far the biggest challenge with pocket guns is mastering the trigger. Once you're confident at 5 yards, increase your range to 7 yards, then 10 yards. As your accuracy improves, then work on speed.

Shooting well is a perishable skill, and on top of that I'd say the "expiration date" on shooting pocket guns is a *lot* shorter than on full-size guns. That just means you should shoot even just a dozen rounds with the pocket gun at each trip to the range.

Patience and persistence are key... and those aren't working for you, invest in some private training. Well worth the cost!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Administrator
    First, a laser isnt going to help squat unless you are near sighted. Niether will a trigger job. It sounds to me either you just cant shoot or the LCP is much to small for you. I'll assume its the LCP.

A j frame isnt to small for pocket carry, I do so every day. I wear normal sized clothing bought at normal stores; there is nothing special about them. My 442 is comfortably in my right front pocket as I type this in my off the shelf Levi's, 34x34.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    First, a laser isnt going to help squat unless you are near sighted. Niether will a trigger job. It sounds to me either you just cant shoot or the LCP is much to small for you. I'll assume its the LCP.

A j frame isnt to small for pocket carry, I do so every day. I wear normal sized clothing bought at normal stores; there is nothing special about them. My 442 is comfortably in my right front pocket as I type this in my off the shelf Levi's, 34x34.
    I pocket carry a snubby in my normal size pants everyday as well. Although I can't tell you what my revolver is or SIXTO will yell at me. :) (Shhh it's a Taurus )
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    This is the reason why I opted to buy a Smith & Wesson 442 .38+P instead of the Ruger LCP and yes, I pocket carry it in a Desantis Nemesis Pocket Holster. The Ruger LCP is a beauty, but it can be very finicky with ammo, your grip might push the mag release, the sights are horrible and it is a snappy little sucker. My recommendation would be to try a snub nose revolver such as the Ruger LCR. If its too big for pocket carry, then you are going to have to train, train and train with your Ruger LCP until you get better, dry fire the hell out of it and buy a Crimson Trace Laser or give up and find a new pocket gun. Nonetheless, I don't think there is a smaller and better pocket gun than the LCP out there.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Although I can't tell you what my revolver is or SIXTO will yell at me. :) (Shhh it's a Taurus )
    Hey if it works it works.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I like my LCR over my LCP, but will admit that the LCP conceals better by a good margin. IMO the pocket carry for the revolver will greatly depend on the size of your thighs. If you have a small build then you'll most likely be able to tote it with little problem, but if your thighs are on the larger size, then the cylinder will definitely print more. For me, I can just get away with it, but I wear cover shirts that cover a strong 1/4 of the length of my jeans front pocket. Again, YMMV, but mainly due to your particular build...

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Put a revolver into the pocket of a business suit pants pocket, and you will clearly see the print of the grip, especially when you sit down. Dress pants are made of thinner material than other types of pants, and my experience is that they print much more. I use a pocket holster with an anti-print panel for my LCP, so it prints like a wallet. A revolver is much larger, and trying the same type of holster would result in something that looks like a book in your pocket.

It just gets my dander up a bit when some folks insist that you should be able to pocket carry a revolver with no issues. Just t'aint so, folks. How you have to dress plays a very important factor in what you can conceal in a pocket.

Edit - Will also agree with GBK about the size of your thighs - I have great big ol' tree-trunk thighs, and that has a major impact as well on pocket carry options.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links