Qualified with my Glock 19

This is a discussion on Qualified with my Glock 19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up my first Glock (a Glock 19, 9mm) a little over a year ago. My old department uses Sigs and I have about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qualified with my Glock 19

I picked up my first Glock (a Glock 19, 9mm) a little over a year ago. My old department uses Sigs and I have about 4 of them and have had more.

However, yesterday I was shooting the qualification test for the nationwide carry permit for retired LEO. Since I don't shoot a lot, and I knew I would be under some pressure, I decided to use my Glock 19.

What a great choice. We had several stages from the holster, and the course ranged from 2 to 15 yards (25 rounds in all).

All my shots went in the kill zone with the first 6 rounds (2 rounds in 3 seconds from the holster 3 separate times) at 2 yards, I could see the holes almost touching each other.

The really great thing about using the Glock 19 is no levers to decock, safeties to thumb off, etc., etc. (I know this is old news for you long time Glock guys).

There was an old retired city cop using a 5 shot wheel gun (same thing as I carried 21 years ago when I retired). He was really having a hard time with qualifying. I think he is out buying a Glock today.

I have been carrying this G19 in my truck since I bought it since the manual of arms seemed so simple. However, after qualifying with it yesterday, on the first time through, I am very comfortable with it as my main every day carry gun.

Still love my Sigs. But I think they will spend a lot of time in the safe or on the range as a novelty. I noticed my Sig 239 in .357 Sig caliber, seems very heavy compared to my loaded Glock 19.

Just some thoughts,

Trooper Joe

VIP Member
    The G19 is unarguably one of the finest all around pistols ever made. If it was the only pistol I could ever use again, I would feel suitably armed for almost any situation.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    The G19 is unarguably one of the finest all around pistols ever made. If it was the only pistol I could ever use again, I would feel suitably armed for almost any situation.
    +1. I think that you sum it up nicely.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Congrats on your 'qual', and with a Glock that may become your first choice of SD, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    congrats
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Make that a +2.
    I'd never want to be without a G19 in the lineup.
    My wife qualified for her permit with a G19 as well.

Congratulations!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    See? That wasn't so hard, was it?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yup another satisfied GLOCK 19 owner, this never gets old.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Congrats on the nationwide carry permit. I'm not a retired LEO so I can't qualify for it but I'm glad you will have one. I sure wish they would pass a law that allowed the rest of us to quailfy for a nationwide carry permit.

The G19 is a superb choice for defensive handgun for both SD and HD. My Glock 19 isn't going anyplace either. It's the first gun I purchased after moving from So. Cal. to PA in 2004. I bought it because it seemed like it could do everything from HD to carry and I could shoot it better than anything else I tried. Several thousand rounds and two recoil springs later I still have it, and it's still as reliable as gravity.

Fitch

Congrats on the LEOSA qualification. I too qualified again about a month ago using my S&W M&P 40c, had previously qualified with my H&K P7-M10. The M&P is my everyday carry pistol now.

The G19 restored my faith in semi auto pistols. As noted, the G19 is arguably one of the finest combat pistols ever made. Congrats!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

With this qualification you still have to follow state laws about bullet type and mag capacity?

Congrats
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

GM
    Well done. Congrats.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by joe26 View Post
    With this qualification you still have to follow state laws about bullet type and mag capacity?
    Yes you do. During the training class they stressed that you a nothing more than a citizen with a nationwide carry permit. You must comply with all local rules and ordinances. The only thing a LEOSA permit grants you is the right to actually carry ccw legally. The training stressed that it was important to check with local jurisdictions on any special rules, etc.

I suppose something like a Glock 36 with the factory 6 round magazine and ball ammo should keep you out of trouble in most places.

I also believe that it would be wise to check on any pistol free zones as we have in Michigan. Most Michigan retired LEO's maintain their civilian "shall carry" permit which is good for 5 years and exempts retired, prior certified LEO's from all pistol free zones.

My main plan is to keep the gun hidden (ie., no one will know I have it). That has always seemed to work in the past even before this enabling legislation.

Trooper Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links