Like some suggestions from you 3 finger grip wheel-gun(only) packers

This is a discussion on Like some suggestions from you 3 finger grip wheel-gun(only) packers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If i can't get 3 fingers on the grip i won't consider the gun for my EDC The less the recoil the better Still like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Like some suggestions from you 3 finger grip wheel-gun(only) packers

If i can't get 3 fingers on the grip i won't consider the gun for my EDC
    The less the recoil the better
    Still like to have acceptable stopping power
    She can't be too heavy nor too light
    So where is the sweet spot with caliber,weight,and a well made peacemaker

Thinking here .357/.38 because i can get mucho practice in at a cheap ammo price along with some .357 rds ofcoarse AND since we haven't returned back to the 1850's Wild West days "yet"; other than practice the gun shouldn't see much live action(hopefully) and hopefully none, right. Also if a .38 was good enough for the PD years ago it ought to do fine plus the .357 option helps

So far i'm liking Ruger's SP101 w/crimson trace rubber laser grip ~ new for $640
    What am i not thinking of?
    What do you carry and why do you like it ?

I think your on the right track with the SP101. It may be somewhat heavy but its right in the "sweet spot" like you say of caliber , weight, and will last forever. Practice with .38s. Carry .357s. To me its a great gun. In a good holster such as a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar. www.simplyrugged.com. Youll have a hard time finding a better wheel gun for carry. I love mine.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I have a Security six .357 for over 30 years and I love it. Carried it for years and still do ocasionally,last year I took a white tail with it at 40 + yards. I would guess that I have over 12,000 rounds thru it and it's still accurate. Can't go wrong with it. Enjoy

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danlct View Post
    So far i'm liking Ruger's SP101 w/crimson trace rubber laser grip ~ new for $640
    This is, in my opinion, and excellent choice and setup. This is what what my wife carries daily. I did have to change the main spring from a 14lb to a 12lb though. She is very small and not a lot of hand strength.

Good luck!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

The Colt Detective Special. A much better snub revolver than any other brand's 5-shot models. All steel with a substantial feel but not clunky like Ruger's SP 101. Not a flea-weight like a hard recoiling Smith & Wesson alloy-framed snub. Holds six rounds of good .38 Special ammunition. Factory grips are fine for adequate grasp and there are aftermarket options available if you want to go that route. Controllable in rapid-fire double-action shooting. It's a used gun proposition these days as they've been discontinued but a good Detective Special is worth it.

My older style Detective Special which was made in 1966 visiting with a friend's post-1973 Detective Special. Both styles are very shoot-able. It's mostly a matter of personal preference on appearance. Both can handle +P 158 grain SWC loads and shoot them accurately.

Last edited by bmcgilvray; November 22nd, 2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Addition of photograph
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Your best option is the Ruger SP-101 with a 2.25" barrel and CT laser grip in .357 Magnum. This is a perfect wheel gun for concealed carry, with fantastic stopping power, you can practice with .38 special ammo which is cheaper, load it with .357 Magnum for self-defense and the gun's 25 ounces of stainless steel will help tame recoil better than other lightweight j-frame revolvers. Only downside is that it won't work for pocket carry and it has an exposed hammer so it can snag to clothing when drawing your gun. Nonetheless, you can carry this beauty IWB or OWB comfortably.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Ex Member
    I own a SP101, and more than a few J frames. The 101 is real hard to beat for belt, jacket, or purse carry, but is too heavy for pocket carry. My pocket gun is a S&W 638 with CT grips. Winter time/jacket carry is the 101 with CT's.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The Colt Detective Special. A much better snub revolver than any other brand's 5-shot models. All steel with a substantial feel but not clunky like Ruger's SP 101. Not a flea-weight like a hard recoiling Smith & Wesson alloy-framed snub. Holds six rounds of good .38 Special ammunition. Factory grips are fine for adequate grasp and there are aftermarket options available if you want to go that route. Controllable in rapid-fire double-action shooting. It's a used gun proposition these days as they've been discontinued but a good Detective Special is worth it.

My older style Detective Special which was made in 1966 visiting with a friend's post-1973 Detective Special. Both styles are very shoot-able. It's mostly a matter of personal preference on appearance. Both can handle +P 158 grain SWC loads and shoot them accurately.

+1 here. If your gonna get one to carry, might as well get one that meets your criteria plus have style.

love my smith 642 CT in right front pocket, with a smith 442 in left front pocket.... works for me... some speed strips in back pocket for zombies... i love the lightweight feel to the smith... i think they are only like 13 or 14 oz's..... barely know they are there... desantis superfly pocket holsters. Bunker

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    +1 on the Ruger SP101; I have and carry a 3" version but if I had to do it over again, I'd get the shorter barrel with factory bobbed hammer for dedicated CCW. Having said that, I'm fortunate that I can get that 3rd finger on the butt of a J frame grip so my main carry revolver is an S&W 640-1; 2" .357 all stainless, pre-lock that someone had a gunsmith work over. It's a pure pleasure to shoot and hold.
    Gideon

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Don't over look an LCR .357 mag either.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Three fingers vs. Two Fingers on snubby

I have a number of snubbies and have gone back and forth on the question of three finger grips vs. two finger boot grips. In the past I have favored the three finger grips, thinking I had a better hold on the gun and liking the more secure feeling it gave me. But I could see the advantages of the two finger boot grips in concealing the gun and minimizing the lenth of the grip.

One snubby that I have carried and fired a lot is a S&W model 66-3 with 2.5 inch barrel. I used Ahrends three finger grips on it for several years, but recently got some Badger two finger boot grips, as shown below. On the Badgers my little finger rests on the bottom of the grip while the other two fingers rest in the two finger grooves shown. I have shot the gun at the range quite a bit with the Badgers, and decided that there is no loss of accuracy or control of the gun with the boot grips, even shooting magnum ammo. But the Badgers are shorter and enhance concealability in a belt holster.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Don't forget the older Taurus model 85. They are built like a tank, weigh 21 oz, and are very reliable. Nowdays, you can get a good used one for $300.
    Here is a link
    http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...egory=Revolver
    AND, they give a lifetime repair policy(gun not owner).
    There are some who say Taurus is junk, maybe the new ones, but the older ones are still very reliable. I own one, so I know, and yes, I will trust my life to one(and have). Mine was built in 1992, looks and shoots like new. I would post a pic here, but don't have it in a url to post.

You're thinking on the SP101 is good. The grips that suit me best for the SP are "Trausch Grips". The website leaves a bit to be desired but the product is worth the effort.
    http://www.trausch.com/form/accueilA.htm

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I have the SP101. Just like everybody said, you can't beat it for a belt gun. For a pocket gun the J-Frame was always my choice till I bought the LCR 357. Here is a 17oz. pocket gun that handles 357 just as good as a J-Frame handles the 38SPL. I think it is a bit more accurate. The stock Grip called a Tamer Grip makes shooting 357 ammo a non issue. The only thing is if you ware tight Jeans, the LCR Tamer Grip is a little bigger than the standard J-Frame Grip. I like to carry the SP on or in my belt and the LCR 357 in my off hand pocket. The #36 HKS Speed Loader fits both guns. 10 rounds of 357 and a couple of Speed Loaders full of 357 is comforting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links