How Do you CC your 1911? - Page 4

How Do you CC your 1911?

This is a discussion on How Do you CC your 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 5" SA Milspec carried daily in a Don Hume PCCH mostly with a Don Hume double layer 1.5" leather belt....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How Do you CC your 1911?

5" SA Milspec carried daily in a Don Hume PCCH mostly with a Don Hume double layer 1.5" leather belt.

I use a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro for my Dan Wesson CBOB. I carry IWB on the strong side with 2 spare mags on the weak side. I'm 5'9" and ~165lbs. This is concealable in shorts and a t-shirt. The holster is a little bit more than you'd pay elsewhere, but it has multiple ways to carry (IWB and OWB), will never collapse (there's a picture on the website of 10lbs of weight on the mouth without collapsing), and is totally sweat and water proof. It's also one of the most comfortable holsters I've ever seen.

http://www.purekustom.com/purekustomholsters_new.htm
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I use a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro for my Dan Wesson CBOB. I carry IWB on the strong side with 2 spare mags on the weak side. I'm 5'9" and ~165lbs. This is concealable in shorts and a t-shirt. The holster is a little bit more than you'd pay elsewhere, but it has multiple ways to carry (IWB and OWB), will never collapse (there's a picture on the website of 10lbs of weight on the mouth without collapsing), and is totally sweat and water proof. It's also one of the most comfortable holsters I've ever seen.

http://www.purekustom.com/purekustomholsters_new.htm
    +1 Me too....Carrying my CBOB right now in my PK BOP.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    .... If I'm carrying strong side IWB, I carry at about 3:00 with a generous forward kant....
    The Commander is in the modified UCH at top of photo.

Attachment 22181
    I too believe in lots of forward cant. I carry my Commander bobtail at 4-4:30 in a Comptac CTAC, but I have swapped out the leather bits for longer ones to raise the rear of the holster and lower the front. Resulting cant is about 35 degrees, while most holster makers don't seem to offer more than 15 or maybe 20. Really helps the butt print less. I believe heavy firearms carry better with a quality gunbelt too.

Del Fatti IWB holster

One of my full size 1911's is my cooler weather carry guns. Mostly because in cooler weather I'm always wearing more clothing i.e. a sweater or jacket. My preferred method is a SOB made by Kirkpatrick out of Texas. Worn at the 4-5 oclock position, it's proven to be the perfect rig.

IWB 4o'clock
    .45ACP 1911 Colt Commander XSE

I only carry a 5" 1911 in a shoulder holster. My Miami Classic gets the most use. I have a vertical Uncle Mike's that really should get more use. When I backpack or bike, I carry my 5" in a military style "Tanker" shoulder holster.

I can carry a RIA compact (EDC) and a Metro Arms American Classic II full size in the same holster @ 2:00. Holster: UBG striker. I can carry all day and do all manner of things....with ease.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Yes. I am sitting here with my Colt New Agent on as I type.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I use a belt from AKJ Concealco that has a plastic stiffner inside two layers. It makes a big difference when you start carrying a large heavy gun. Only down side is my cell phone case won't clip onto it well becasue it's so thick. I've coupled this with an IWB holster from HBE called his COMIII. For me the full size 1911 would poke out to the rear abit and be uncomfortable in a car. I carry a 4" and a 3.5" compact. There are a lot of belts with plastic inserts you can buy. I have one with, one without the insert and would highly recommend it for the larger guns.

I've also found that a bit more extreme cant on the holster helps to conceal the butt of the gun better. If the holster has more of a straight up cant, the butt will print quite a bit.

I carried a full size years ago but ultimately when to a compact frame (officers) and find it far more comfortable and a LOT easier to conceal. I'm 5' 7" and weigh 160. Very slender.

I also found that ultra slim grips makes a little difference too; not much, but a little.

Gideon

Distinguished Member
    Until recently, I've been using a CBST. My favorite thing about it was the convenience of the spring clips. But I hated how loosely the gun fit in the kydex, which wears finishes down to bare steel in a matter of weeks, so I've gone back to leather.

At the moment, I'm carrying in a IWB from AKJ Concealco, but I do not recommend this holster

Their funny little front loop is incredibly flimsy, so it loses shape quickly and rotates around the belt until the top of the snap scrapes against the top of the slide with every draw. The holster also becomes loose quite fast. The gun falls right out of the holster if it is turned to any considerable angle.

But based on very positive feedback, I'm planning on purchasing a UBG Striker. It seems to have my favorite parts of both of the above holsters, but without the drawbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Until recently, I've been using a CBST. My favorite thing about it was the convenience of the spring clips. But I hated how loosely the gun fit in the kydex, which wears finishes down to bare steel in a matter of weeks, so I've gone back to leather.
    I've been having the same problem with my MTAC, it's worn down the parkerized finish on the right hand side of my 1911, from the top of the slide down to the ejection port is a 1/4" wide strip of exposed steel. The kydex is also grabbed by the ejection port on the draw and has managed to chip off a very small bit of steel from the edge of the ejection port. I cannot wait for my leather OWB to get here sometime this week or next!

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Milt Sparks Versa Max II (VMII), probably the best holster I've ever owned. Very comfortable and well made, only down side is the 6 month wait, but it's worth it in my opinion.
    I hope you're right! I"m about 4 months deep into the wait for mine! I also have a Galco Fletch for OWB I'm pretty happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Del Fatti IWB holster
    that's an awesome pistol and holster!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links