Glock 26 or Walther PPS and WHY

This is a discussion on Glock 26 or Walther PPS and WHY within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If your not set on a 9mm take a look at a M&Pc 40 10+1 and would go with your fullsize, mags if neeeded. The ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glock 26 or Walther PPS and WHY

If your not set on a 9mm take a look at a M&Pc 40 10+1 and would go with your fullsize, mags if neeeded. The M&Pc mag without the extension doesn't print as much and is the same size as my G27/G26 the M&P feels better IMO. Do you have a local gun store that you can rent and shoot them ? good luck
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    why not stick with something you already know.. M&P9 compact? it is better than the Glock 26 in capacity, & ergo's.. ? plus then you don't have to buy different holsters, just use the same ones you have for your M&P40... all the training you do at the range with the .40 will be all the same controls with the M&P9compact... that's what I would do IMO
    DoctorBob likes this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Lead Moderator
    I went PPS. I don't like the way double stack short barreled pistols ride in my waistband. Nothing wrong with Glock , a lot just depends on personal preference.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by IWLAFART View Post
    I will beat "retsupt" to the punch and say go for the Glock 36.
    Actually, the Glock-36 is my EDC, but I also have the Glock-26.

To the OP...
    To answer your primary question...the Glock-26.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Between the two, the 26. So many options and aftermarket parts to play with.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    IMHO, both excellent pistols, can't really go wrong either way. The major impression I get from each is the thinness (comfort) of the PPS; and the mag capacity of the G26. I think much of this boils down to personal desire.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    OP, lots of great recommendations by other members. Basically, your best option is to rent and try out the Walther PPS, Glock 26, M&P9c and M&P40c and just go with what works for you. You have to decide based on what feels best in your hand, if you prefer the better concealment of the Walther PPS or the higher mag capacity of the Glock 26 or if you want to stick with the M&P platform. I agree with another member in that it would be smart to buy an M&P40c since you already know this gun and it will work with your full size mags. Additionally, you only have to buy one kind of ammo for both.

In conclusion, take into consideration all of our recommendations but decide ultimately and what works best for YOU.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I'm looking at picking up a Glock 26 today...not sure why I need it.....but hell it's my birthday so why not! So I'll see you at the Gun Center
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    I'm looking at picking up a Glock 26 today...not sure why I need it.....but hell it's my birthday so why not! So I'll see you at the Gun Center
    Happy Birthday!

To OP, Glock 26!

Mine is a constant companion. If the grip is bothering you, reduce it!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Glock 26, the fatness and grip fit my hand perfectly. But for you in all honestly I'd go with the M&P9c, thinner, same trigger, same safety setup, same accessories. When comparing the M&P40c to the Glock 27 I noticed it was longer only insofar as the pinky extention, which you can easily do without and make them very comparable in size, and as you know the M&P is thinner so might be easier to conceal.

Glock Certified Armorer

I personally prefer the single stacker and would be looking at the PPS. I too am also contemplating the pros/cons of a G26 to a PPS. I have an XDSC40 which is close enough to a G26 to make me opt for that narrower carry option. PPS.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

I have both plus a PF-9. I prefer the PPS for pocket carry. The G26 for waist carry , My main carries are .45's, these are Back-up only. I only use the PF-9 for deep concelment
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I have no experience w/ the PPS. But I had a 26 and currently carry a 27 (identical size in .40). Glocks are extremely reliable and plenty accurate. I carry my 27 off-duty in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. She disappears and is very comfortable for long periods of time.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kinoons View Post
    I have a pps in .40 and I absolutely love it. Most people get hung up on the mag release, but a little practice gets you past it. I actually prefer the walther release. With a button you have to adjust our grip to reach it with your thumb. The walther release is quickly and easily activated with the trigger or middle finger. It is also ambidextrous to suit leftys.
    I'll second your comments here. The mag release is indeed very easy to get used to. And as you point out, it can be used from either side. I find it to be far easier and more natural to use than the old standard button releases. The Walther design is also much eaiser to use that the HK mag release design too. Although they are very similar, the extra length of the Walther's release makes it much easier to operate than the mag release on my HK USP.

And the grip angle is no where close to being 90 degrees.

The gun is very comfortable to shoot, for such a small gun. If one wants to make it even more comfortable to shoot, just slip on a $10 Limbsaver Pro Handgun Grip Sleeve. ( #2013 )

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Between the two, the 26. So many options and aftermarket parts to play with.
    You beat me to the punch SH 15. There are so many options and versatility with Glocks, and reliability is second to none. My 26 and 19 compliment each other very well. In the end it's your choice. I don't think there is a right or wrong with either of your options at hand. Good luck with whichever way you go..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links