Glock 26 or Walther PPS and WHY - Page 3

Glock 26 or Walther PPS and WHY

This is a discussion on Glock 26 or Walther PPS and WHY within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Go hold both in your hand and the decision will be a very easy one I can attest to that my self. I had the ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glock 26 or Walther PPS and WHY

Go hold both in your hand and the decision will be a very easy one I can attest to that my self. I had the same dilemma until I went to my local toy store and they had both in stock... I can tell you I did not end up taking the G26 home that day.
    Last edited by Foo909; November 26th, 2010 at 08:11 PM.

I do not have any experience with the PPS, though I have heard good things from others. I do have a G26 for my CCW, along with my G19 that I use for CCW from time to time. I have been very happy with the G26 (as well as my G19) and would highly recommend them for CCW. It is what works for me. In the end though what matter is exactly what many others have said in this thread, what works best for you. If you can, rent the options you are interested in at the range and then decide based on what feels best to you. Then you'll get to make the next fun decision, the CCW holster. Again, this needs to be what works best for you and how you choose to carry.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Really, the choice here boils down to only two issues:

1) Do you want the 7+1 ammo capacity of the PPS, or the 10 +1 capacity of the Glock 26?

2) Do you want a much thinner gun like the PPS, or a much wider gun like the Glock? Length and height wise, the two guns are otherwise about identical. They are also very close in weight too.

Is the extra 3 round capacity worth having a thicker gun?

Interesting - and happy bday! I think I'm headed to the gun center today to paruse and think. Need .223 for my ar too. May take a look @ a sig. unfortunately here in ny, capacity isn't as much as a concern for most. Can't carry more than 10.

I have a few of the guns being mentioned, and personally, I don't see the slenderness of the pps as that much of a benefit. As you can see in my pic, the pps, g26, xd9 sub, and even the ultra covert have similar dimensions. For me, what aids in concealment is the grip length. Out of all the guns pictured, I actually carry the xd9 with a 13 round flush mag the most. Capacity, reliability, accuracy, pointability, and it hides really well. Even in appendix carry. A carry gun is a very personal thing, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Of those two, G26. Much better reliability, lifetime warranty, three more rounds and it doesn't feel like a "ruler" in your hands. If you must have a "thin" gun than you may like the PPS, but I did not care for it.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

I had the PPS in .40, currently have the Glock 27. Do some research into the mags before you buy a PPS, perhaps its better for the 9mm but for the .40 they were a little hard to find and usually $50+ when you could find them. This was especially true for the largest mag. Holsters are out there, but not as plentiful as for Glock.

If neither of those bother you the PPS is a fine weapon. It is slightly easier to hide than the Glock but neither is a hassle (but its all what you're used to).

Both guns are excellent choices. If concealment is a big factor then go with the PPS. It disappears IWB with Tees or tucked shirts. I chose the PPS for my CCW over the Glock because concealment in corporate office wear was a big need and, like you, I found the Glock too fat. LanceORYGUN's pics say it all.

Went down to the store. Still having a hard time. Picked up the glock again, the pps, and a smaller sig. Like the da/sa of the sig for carry, but its heavy, and I think outta the running. I come back to the same thing w/the pps and glock. I like the glock reputation, and a bit of thickness in the hand. However, I don't like trying to hide said thickness, and can't stand the grip angle. Accessories and holsters are a plus.

Walthers slimness is a plus, but the ruler like feel in the hand sucks. Also, mag's aren't cheap.

Wish I could shoot them. I think that'd do it for me, but I know no one with either, and no one around here rents. Arg. Think I should flip a coin?

To add to the mix, does kimber make a comprabile sized 1911 that doesn't cost a fortune? I was looking at the ultra compact i think? I don't know anything about them. reliable? easy to hide?

Did you notice if the PPS came with one mag or two? Mine only came with 1, but I got it used.

My wife has a Ultra Carry II in 9mm that would be about the same size. It was $850 though.

Based on the Glock 27 and the PPS in .40 I had, the PPS had less recoil. But I was using a Hogue slip on grip too, which probably helped.

The Sig you held was probably the P239. If that's thrown into the mix it'd be my vote, because I like DA/SA better than the striker fired stuff and you can change the grips to fit your needs. Unless you're trying to pocket carry a half way decent holster will take care of the weight. I used a DeSantis pancake with mine and liked it a lot.

ETA: You might also consider if other guns are in your future as far as home defense or carry. The PPS mag release is easy to learn to use, but gets more complicated if you're switching between it and a gun with a "normal" mag release.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Ever feel like you are smack dab in the middle of the movie Ground Hog Day?
    LMAO.... I went with the G19 after much internal (and external) debate but still have a PPS on my list.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tol&highlight=
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

I have both the G 26 and the PPS and carried them both in Pocket Holsters and AIWB Holsters. I love them both but the PPS feels just a bit better for comfort and the G 26 conceals very well. Even though I love both guns, I recently decided to go with a .45 so I purchased a G 36 for my EDC. I have always carried a 9mm for my EDC and used the .45 for my house or car gun but decided to carry a G36 and I just love this gun for self defense. I will customize it by taking off the finger grooves and maybe a bit off the back strap and it will fit my hand just perfect. I do this with all my Glocks. The 6 + 1 of .45 is more than enough fire power for a .45 carry gun. I feel very confident with Glocks because I have owned and shot them for 13 years and I am still waiting for my first malfunction. My life and the lives of my loved ones are well protected with my carry Glock.

I have no experience with the Walther. However, I love my Glock 26. It is dependable, always goes bang, accurate and reasonably priced.

I love my PPS 9mm and I'm more accurate with it. It is a pleasure to carry and fits me to a T. Having said that I also love my G30 but it isn't anywhere near as comfortable but I tend to carry it more often than my PPS. Been wearing my PPS all this weekend around the house.

I have a Polish P64 which is a virtual clone of the Walther. I also have a G26. I'd go with the Glock. No question about it.
    Compared to the G26 the PPK-clone is a nightmare to shoot and reload.
    If you're looking for a good EDC you can rely on, you can't go wrong with a Glock.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links