Glock 26 or Walther PPS and WHY

This is a discussion on Glock 26 or Walther PPS and WHY within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Track record. Bottom line. There is a reason the Glocks are the top sellers in the country....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glock 26 or Walther PPS and WHY

Track record. Bottom line. There is a reason the Glocks are the top sellers in the country.

2. Remove Ads

Glock 26. I've owned two of them and never had a misfire. In fact, at times I would shoot both my G26 and G34 in IDPA matches and make better scores with the G26.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

If I was on my laptop pc I could show you groups I fired off hand with the g26 at 40 yards that were 6-8 inches with blazer brass cased ammo. They are very accurate for a small gun not meant for accuracy.

Like the OP, the G26 is too fat and chubby for me. If only Glock made a sub-compact single stack 9mm like the PPS .

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    Went down to the store. Still having a hard time. Picked up the glock again, the pps, and a smaller sig. Like the da/sa of the sig for carry, but its heavy, and I think outta the running. I come back to the same thing w/the pps and glock. I like the glock reputation, and a bit of thickness in the hand. However, I don't like trying to hide said thickness, and can't stand the grip angle. Accessories and holsters are a plus.

Walthers slimness is a plus, but the ruler like feel in the hand sucks. Also, mag's aren't cheap.

Wish I could shoot them. I think that'd do it for me, but I know no one with either, and no one around here rents. Arg. Think I should flip a coin?
    You can improve the feel of the Walther's grip immensely by adding the Limbsaver Pro Handgun Grip Sleeve to it. Only costs $10. This product is really wonderful, and if you go onto the Walther Forums website, you will see all sorts of PPS owners raving about adding the Limbsaver to their PPS. Totally transforms it. The Hogue slip on grip comes no where close in enhancing the grip, in my opinion.

Regarding magazines, if people do carry an extra, it is virtually always just a single magazine. You will pay an additional $22 for it over a Glock mag, but is $22 going to break your bank?

Regarding holsters, virtually all of the holster companies now support it. So that is no issue whatsoever, if you do some checking into it.

Regarding other accessories, the only advantage that I can see there is that one can add a laser to the Glock much easier. So if you want to add a laser to your pistol, then the Glock is the better gun. The Crimson Trace LaserGuard for the Glock pistols is much better than any of the lasers compatible with the PPS.

When the PPS first came out there was not much of anything available for it in terms of accessories and add-on's. But it has been on the market for a number of years now, and that is simply no longer the case.

Here is a photo of the Limbsaver on a PPS, showing how it transforms the grip. Note that the pistol also has custom night sights installed on it.

Hands Down The Glock 26

Here are the reasons. Legendary reliability. It eats anything you load in it all the way up to and including +P+ if you've a mind to. You can't break them or wear them out. They are simple to take down to the smallest component and there are hordes of aftermarket parts and doodads to personalize it. Abundant replacement OEM parts so you'll always be able to replace worn parts. With +2 baseplates you have a small, controllable handgun with a 13 rd capacity. Mags are $25 each. Tons of holsters and you can carry it anywhere on your body with no discomfort. Mine is on me all the time. I mean all the time. It's the only gun I own and the only gun I want. I will stock up on them for the Apocalypse so I never run out. It is literally a "perfect" gun.
    I am not The Word
    I am the parchment on which
    The Word is written

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I recently bought a Walther P99AS 9mm and it was reliable and extremely accurate so always highly recommend Walther Firearms. I put 300 rounds right out of the box without a single cleaning and I had ZERO FTF or FTE. Therefore, I highly recommend the Walther PPS. Nonetheless, you have to take into considerations that the Glock 26 is 1.18" wide and weighs 19.75 oz (unloaded) which is only 0.14" wider and 0.35 oz heavier than the Walther PPS. Nonetheless, the Glock 26 holds 10 rounds and the PPS only 7. Therefore, you will be sacrificing 3 rounds for only 0.14" of thickness and 0.35 oz of weight which in my opinion is not a dramatic reduction in dimensions to justify losing 3 rounds of firepower. In between those two weapons, I say go with the Glock 26 and just get the Pearce Grip magazine extension to accommodate your "pinky" and adds 1 more round.

Nonetheless, since you already own a S&W why don't you just look at the M&P9c? It is basically the same size as the Glock 26 and you are already used to the M&P platform and trigger.

I agree 100% with this advise.
    I have a PPS 40 SW, and a glock 26 they are both fine weapons.
    I appreciate being able to use higher capacity mags with the glock 26 as another plus.
    I also think the M&P 9c would be a fine choice for the same reasons as the glock 26.

psh... if you want a thick gun like the G26 then just carry a G19. Now if you want a highly concealable and easy to carry gun then get a Kahr PM9 or CM9... or a PPS.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Can't go wrong with either, IMO. However, personally, I would probably choose the G26 based on cost, availability of parts, ease of working on it, durability, etc. Let me cloud the waters even more for you by saying "Smith and Wesson 3913NL".

Another vote for the G26 here.

26 all the way. My GEN4 is insanely accurate for a small gun.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Ah, a thread dead for over 3 months is resurrected from the grave.

Does anyone know what Tommy's eventual choice was??

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    psh... if you want a thick gun like the G26 then just carry a G19. Now if you want a highly concealable and easy to carry gun then get a Kahr PM9 or CM9... or a PPS.
    what he said... I have the G26 and the G19. I'm looking at a PPS-9 and a CM9. I LOVE my Glocks but the CM9 and the PPS would be easier to conceal carry. The walther is a few ounces heavier and a smidgen longer than the G26, but thinner. I like the 12+1 capacity of my G26. I like th sze of the Kahr but the limited capacity and the high ft-lb rating of recoil puts me off a bit. I think the only way t tell is going to be by firing them both. Try it and see...

Thought I posted the win:

Walked into the store planning to eye up : G26, sig 239, pps, hk2000 (compact), mp9c, ruger lc9and the kimber (pm9 or pf9 - always get it confused with the khar). It went like this:

M&P9c and G26 - too fat.
    Sig 239 - too heavy, too large
    HK 2000 compact - didn't have one in stock, thus, out.
    LC9 vs Kimber - lc9 was shockingly considerably larger - out.
    Put a kimber solo in my hand - smaller, lighter than the pm9. Thus PM was out. Down to solo vs walther. Solo had 5-6 week wait, was a new gun (thus in my mind potential for bugs), and wouldn't have any accessories.

Walther pps for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    Still having a hard time.... I like the glock reputation, and a bit of thickness in the hand. However, I don't like trying to hide said thickness, and can't stand the grip angle. Accessories and holsters are a plus.

Walthers slimness is a plus, but the ruler like feel in the hand sucks....
    ?
    I looked at the same guns and had the same issues. I went with the Ruger SR9c, and have been thoroughly satisfied with it. The grip is slimmer than the glock, so it conceals IWB very nicely. More ergonomic grip than the glock or PPS. 10 round mag, and comes stock with an optional pinky extension. Glock-style trigger with a nice reset. Accurate, easy and comfortable to shoot, and mine has been totally reliable. I have almost 2000 rounds through mine with no issues.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links