Glock 26 or Walther PPS and WHY

This is a discussion on Glock 26 or Walther PPS and WHY within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a smaller gun easy to "make disappear". I have a M&P 40 full size, but would like this to be at least moderately ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glock 26 or Walther PPS and WHY

Glock 26 or Walther PPS and WHY

Looking for a smaller gun easy to "make disappear". I have a M&P 40 full size, but would like this to be at least moderately enjoyable as a range gun. Looking for 9mm. Which of the two would you pick and why? I like the slimness of the walther, but hate the way the grip almost bends at a 90. I also can't stand the mag release. I do like that all my fingers fit on it.

The g26 I picked up seems to have improved ergo's over the full size that I shot. The rounded grip feels a bit better in my hand. I like the mag release, but hate how fat it is.

I'd love a gun that's semi auto, and is DA/SA that's not a 1911. Does such a thing exist? I wouldn't mind a 1911, but don't have a small fortune to shell out on one. If you have something that is reliable as the walther or glock. i'm open to suggestions.

2. Remove Ads

How bout a SIG P239. DA/SA 9mm.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I have a pps in .40 and I absolutely love it. Most people get hung up on the mag release, but a little practice gets you past it. I actually prefer the walther release. With a button you have to adjust our grip to reach it with your thumb. The walther release is quickly and easily activated with the trigger or middle finger. It is also ambidextrous to suit leftys.

The pps is also exceedingly easy to carry. The only option that is a little tough is pocket carry (but large cargo pockets on shorts or pants work well) all other forms work great. With any good holster you'll almost forget you're carrying it.

And for it's size it is very accurate. Hand anyone a PPS and they naturally point and shoot it well. I experienced this again just yesterday when a friend of mine came to the range and out shot his long owned 1911.

Can't go wrong with a PPS

Last May I was in the market for a CC 9mm semi and I compared the PPS, SR9c, M&P9c, and the G26. The SR9c was overall too big for me, the M&P and Glock too fat. So I went with the PPS. It conceals extremely well on my relatively small frame, yet is large enough to be a fairly accurate shooter at combat distances. I carry it AIWB in a High Noon Hidden Alley with the 7 round mag filled with 124 gr Gold Dots. The mag release does not bother me at all, in fact I've almost come to prefer it over the standard style on my M&P45c.

The advice you often hear on this forum is to go with what feels best in you hand. It's good advice!
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I recently bought a Walther P99AS 9mm and it was reliable and extremely accurate so always highly recommend Walther Firearms. I put 300 rounds right out of the box without a single cleaning and I had ZERO FTF or FTE. Therefore, I highly recommend the Walther PPS. Nonetheless, you have to take into considerations that the Glock 26 is 1.18" wide and weighs 19.75 oz (unloaded) which is only 0.14" wider and 0.35 oz heavier than the Walther PPS. Nonetheless, the Glock 26 holds 10 rounds and the PPS only 7. Therefore, you will be sacrificing 3 rounds for only 0.14" of thickness and 0.35 oz of weight which in my opinion is not a dramatic reduction in dimensions to justify losing 3 rounds of firepower. In between those two weapons, I say go with the Glock 26 and just get the Pearce Grip magazine extension to accommodate your "pinky" and adds 1 more round.

Nonetheless, since you already own a S&W why don't you just look at the M&P9c? It is basically the same size as the Glock 26 and you are already used to the M&P platform and trigger.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I'd consider that question a "no brainer". Glock 26!

To say that the pps only holds 7rds is a bit disingenuous. In the 9mm you have a choice between 6, 7, and 8 rd mags. These mags alter the length of the grip of the pistol, not the width. The fact that the PPS is barely an inch wide is huge. The saying that a lb on your foot is worth 10 on your back is the same for tenths of an inch inside your wasteband.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kinoons View Post
    To say that the pps only holds 7rds is a bit disingenuous. In the 9mm you have a choice between 6, 7, and 8 rd mags. These mags alter the length of the grip of the pistol, not the width. The fact that the PPS is barely an inch wide is huge. The saying that a lb on your foot is worth 10 on your back is the same for tenths of an inch inside your wasteband.
    Well, 6, 7 and 8 round mags in the Walther PPS is still less than 10 rounds in the Glock 26 and that is a main disadvantage. You could also say that you have a choice between 10, 12, 15, 19 or 33 round magazines for the Glock 26.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I will beat "retsupt" to the punch and say go for the Glock 36.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

I should also point out that I love my M&P 40, but need a really short grip,and IIRC ( feel free to correct me as I know most of you will) the M&P40c (or 9c) has a longer grip than the walther and glock correct? I got a bit of a stomach that I'm trying to get rid of, but till I do my shirts are a bit snug. The grip on my 40 prints like a SOB IWB carrying. I'm in NY state, thus, concealed or bust. Right now it's a "target and hunting" permit, so to and from range only. I'm hoping to get that dumb restriction removed next fall, and am trying to plan my options to buy soon, have time to get some rounds through it and get comfortable with it at the range, then have something I've used before when I can carry unrestricted. The full size M&P was never intended to be a carry weapon, and I've noticed that I can't really hide it well at all. It's my full time nightstand gun and range gun, but I want something smaller for when I get my restriction lifted.

Also, since it's NYS, >10 round capacity is null and void, since we're not allowed to have any more than that anywho. To recap:

Good balance
    Thin
    Short grip
    Reliable

Seems like the group is half and half between the walther and glock. I wouldn't mind the sig idea actually after reading the specs. What do they go for?

If the only thing about the G26 that you dislike is the thickness of the grip, just realize that you can have the grip reduced by a competent gunsmith.

I took a look at the PPS, but other than being thinner, it seemed to compare more to a G19 in overall size than to a G26 to me. The mag release was the deal breaker for me - while I can appreciate the design, it is just too different from what I am used to, and I would likely flub a reload under stress with it.

So, I went with a G26 to match my G19.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

If I were you, (and contemplating my first 9mm carry pistol and forgetting everything I've done over the past dozen years or so), I honestly wouldn't know which one to choose. I seldom have anything bad to say about any particular brand/make/model of pistol with very few exceptions. I also don't frequently get into debates about caliber nor capacity. Many of the things I convey (or attempt to), come from first hand experience OR witnessing how well things work at the range for someone else with something I personally have little experience with myself. That said........I've witnessed things that rather impress me with the Walther pistols and their reliability. So much so, that if I somehow see my way into a 22LR pistol, it may very well be a Walther P22, but it won't be for carry. Am I a hardcore Glock fan? Of course. But I keep an open mind as well. Why do you think I have and carry a single stack, large frame SIG at times when my baby Glock holds more rounds, half the size, and less in weight loaded? Because I like options, what works best for me, what I can operate with, and be effective with on the street. I've never been a 'pocket pistol' person myself.
    This forum is the best and most informative on the internet today for those who carry or contemplate carrying in the future. The means and methods possible for doing this effectively are vast to say the least. Everyone finds their own niche by themselves after what they have taken in what they want from advice, suggestions, and their own experiences. I can't honestly sway you one way or another on YOUR decision. My "and why"? part of your question has already been written. Do what's best for you, and if you make a mistake........look at resale values. LOL! I think you'll do fine either way. Never let a whim or burning money in your pocket dictate what you should do. Whims can come and go like the wind, and you can always put out a fire.

VIP Member
    Ever feel like you are smack dab in the middle of the movie Ground Hog Day?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Take a look at the Springfield XD 9 SC. I shot and carried one for about a month. I liked it better than my G26 except I have too much money tied up in my Glock and its extras. I had bought the XD for my Nephew so gave it up when he got the money to buy it from me. It fits in the hand better than the Glock and holds more rounds. I have handled the S&W M&P 9 but, never shot one. The M&P seems slimmer, has replaceable back straps, and holds 11 rounds. I would also take a look at the Ruger SR9C. It is on the slim side and holds a lot of rounds.

The decision for me came down to the classic capacity vs. concealability issue. If making the gun "disappear" is important (I thought it was) then the PPS gets the nod. If having 10 or 12 rounds available w/o a reload is more important, then the Glock or M&P are the choice.

I have always been less swayed by the need for lots of rounds. The environment I live/work/travel in is pretty tame. My 7+1 plus a reload seems like more than enough. Heck, I often carry a Model 60 so the capacity offered by the Walther is a bonus!

I don't think you can really go wrong with either gun.
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links