Gun Philosophy Internal Conflict

This is a discussion on Gun Philosophy Internal Conflict within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I keep thinking/reading about the merits of both revolvers and pistols. I'm thinking of making another purchase but I'm torn. In theory both have ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Philosophy Internal Conflict

Gun Philosophy Internal Conflict

Well, I keep thinking/reading about the merits of both revolvers and pistols. I'm thinking of making another purchase but I'm torn. In theory both have advantages/disadvantages but what I am really concerned about is, do they actually matter? I'm looking for actual situations that one or the other didn't work for someone. Has anyone not had enough capacity with a revolver or needed the capacity of the semi? Has anyone had a semi-auto malfunction to the point it was dangerous? All the stories I've read indicate that it doesn't actually matter and either would have sufficed.

Background: I own a 640 and 642. I've only shot one person with an M9 and two shots were enough and I didn't experience any malfunctions.

2. Remove Ads

Every situation is different. Depends on what you feel comfortable carrying/shooting. If you don't trust the reliability of semi-auto's and you believe 5 shots or less is all you will ever need, then you would most likely prefer to stick with your 640 and 642. Since you already have those, and you are considering another purchase, then why not add a semi-auto to the collection. It will give you another carry option should you ever decide to carry it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've only been involved in one firearm-related incident, the result of some teenage foolishness. The firearm involved was a 1911; his, not mine. Staring into the business end, it certainly seemed adaquate enough to me!

There have been many one-shot-one-kill SD situations, just as there have been many times when many shots didn't do the job for whatever reasons. There are some who feel a five-shot snubbie is all the defense they need, just as there are those who wouldn't feel confident without a wagon train of ammo towed behind them.

Each person who decides to carry must make the choice of what style of firearm they feel is their best defense and how much ammunition they feel confident carrying.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

In your case, I wouldn't so much look at it in terms of capacity--but comfort. What are you comfortable shooting and what you can shoot well? These are mutually exclusive questions. Not to mention, what may work for one person (or their experience), may not apply to you. Don't jump on a semi-auto because everyone else has one; get a semi-auto because you want one.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Your conflict is simply a personal taste. Semi's and revolvers can both fail, a revolver usually carries 5-6 shots, many 1911's may have 7-8 shots...my Glock-36 has 6 + 1.
    I doubt that in most instances a SD/HD situation would require more than a few shots (2-3 rounds...no facts, just opinion for reading about may situations).
    I would ask again, what do you feel comfortable carrying, what feels best in your hand? Practice and training does the rest.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've been carrying a 1911 for 35 years. I've never felt under gunned.
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

Yes, there have been cases where police officers were killed because the capacity of their revolvers was not enough, and the reload was too slow. Not sure about such cases with civilian CCW.

Yes, there have been cases where folks have been killed or hurt because their semi-auto pistol jammed, and they could not clear the jam in time.

Best solution? Carry two handguns. Preferably two semi-auto pistols - you get better capacity than with a revolver, and the likelihood of both of them jamming in the same incident is virtually zero.

Lately I've been carrying a Glock 26 and a Ruger LCP.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I personally like variety and have both revolvers and semi autos. When I go to the range I'll often take one of each. If I were in your situation, with 2 revolvers, I'd get a semi auto for my next purchase just to have some variety and be able to compare the two handgun types. This might clarify your opinion on which you prefer for various applications. Two guns isn't enough - you need some more.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I don't feel underarmed with a revolver, providing I have a second loaded and ready revolver at hand.

One night I faced three attackers with a little five shot J-Frame. When it was all over, while no shots were fired, I decided right then and there that I would either have a second gun, or one that could be reloaded faster. There is nothing wrong with a revolver, but one has to tailor their tactics to the gun's capabilities, which they should be doing anyway.

For myself, if I can only carry one gun I want it to be the largest gun I can effectively conceal. For me that means a 3" or 4" six shot revolver, or a P35, 1911, or Glock 19. I carry what I shoot best, and I tend to shoot the duty size guns better than the smaller brethren.

Biker

Cool

Your life. You decide.

Both types are reliable if both are of good quality, maintained and broken it properly and using good SD ammunition. The vast majority of the time I am carrying two semi-auto's.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Most days, my primary is a pistol, my backup a revolver. Problem solved!

Although I've been a life-long revolver owner, I recently added a semi-auto to the mix.

There's no "right-answer" here, but there is something kind of comforting to know you've got 18 rounds of 9mm on tap fast as you can pull the trigger. While the reliability issue was a big part of why I favor revolvers - a really, really big part - I've got to say that my SR9c makes me feel confident. Hundreds of rounds now out the gun with zero issues.

What's equally important to me is being comfortable with both revolvers and semi-autos. I don't want any weaknesses in my firearm skills, no blind spots, no lack of familiarity. I want to be able to disassemble and reassemble either platform blindfolded. I want both to feel natural and be accurate in the hand.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    What's equally important to me is being comfortable with both revolvers and semi-autos. I don't want any weaknesses in my firearm skills, no blind spots, no lack of familiarity. I want to be able to disassemble and reassemble either platform blindfolded. I want both to feel natural and be accurate in the hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99
    practice and training does the rest.OMOYMV
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2
    Two guns isn't enough - you need some more.
    All well said. I think a .22 semi might be the way to go next so I can afford to practice all the basics - a lot. Since I'm stuck in Maryland right now, I don't need anything to carry out of the house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Yes, there have been cases where police officers were killed because the capacity of their revolvers was not enough, and the reload was too slow. Not sure about such cases with civilian CCW.

Yes, there have been cases where folks have been killed or hurt because their semi-auto pistol jammed, and they could not clear the jam in time.

Best solution? Carry two handguns. Preferably two semi-auto pistols - you get better capacity than with a revolver, and the likelihood of both of them jamming in the same incident is virtually zero.

Lately I've been carrying a Glock 26 and a Ruger LCP.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm kind of going to echo this Idea.

Google Peter Soulis.

or
    http://www.lawofficer.com/article/tr...er-soulis-inci

Police officer, routine patrol, gets into a firefight with a perp, later identified as a murderer in another state I believe. Anyway , he gets shot by the perp, bullet proof vest did its job, but in the ensuing gun battle he gets shot several times, and the perp gets shot by the cop around 20 times,(the officer had I believe a Glock 22) ultimately succumbing to the wounds.
    Guy had only a trace of alcohol in him.
    Would you like to cross paths with the likes of that guy, or worse, 2 or 3??
    You would definitely be up poop creek without a paddle very quickly.
    Will you ever come across this circumstance?
    Maybe not.
    Think the last Power Ball winner thought they were going to win?
    Definitely not, but nevertheless, win the did.
    The point is, every now and then, monkeys fall out of trees.
    You must ultimately decide what you are willing to carry.
    Are you carrying with a spouse or Friend who also carries?
    This ups the ante in your favor. Go ahead and carry that .357 S&W.

You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of
    brass." - Trooper M. Padgett

'Because that's all the ammunition we had.' Polk Co. Fla. Sheriff Grady Judd
    When asked why they shot a BG so many times.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

People sure do overthink this stuff.

Get a gun you like and can shoot. It's that easy.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links