xs sight systems

This is a discussion on xs sight systems within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering who has xs sight systems on there carry guns and your opinons please. Thank you....

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JustinM

Thread: xs sight systems

xs sight systems

Just wondering who has xs sight systems on there carry guns and your opinons please. Thank you.

2. Remove Ads

I've got one on my mini 14, love it, few other options, if any. Got TruGlo TFO on the bedside and open carry. Sig nite lites on everything else except the Keltec P3AT. I would recommend TFO for EDC, since you've got FO for daylight conditions, and Tritium for low light. YMMV, but I kinda doubt it, love the TFO!!!

I've been using XS Sights for about 5 years now. I love them because they feel so "natural" to use. Keep in mind, they are for defensive shooting, not target shooting.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I have them on a Colt XSE Lightweight Commander. My main interest is SD and I like them for SD. I've shot my fastest 2nd shots using the XS Big Dots. I place a 6'' circle (Shoot&See) at 18 feet. I only count the pair if both shots hit that circle (1'' away from the circle won't count). In this "contest" my best pistols had been a Glock 19 with Meprolights and the Lightweight Commander using it's original 3 dot sights; both pistols averaged .29 after about 15 pairs of "qualifying" double taps. After installing the Big Dots, using the same factory ammunition, the XS Big Dots / Commander dropped that time to .21 sec. I know this is a small difference, but I've done that little drill a bunch and .21 is blazing (for me) considering 230 gr. full power ammo. Based on my little "test" they do hold a slight advantage if the target is about 6'' in diameter, about 18 feet away and fast follow up shots are the goal.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I have XS Big Dots on both my G26 and G19. Very quick target acquisition. I love em!!!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I have them on my G19 also and love them. Like others have said, they are not target sights, but are very fast.

Senior Moderator
    So by saying they are SD sights, that means we're willing to give up accuracy for some slight speed advantage??? So if you have to make a head shot on half a head at 20 feet because that's all that's available, how does the speed compare. Not meaning to be critical at all, but with that 'SD' sight we are giving up accuracy that we may need in some other scenario.

Plus there's reality. I've tried and tried to use/like XS Big Dots as they make good theoretical sense, but I keep finding in practicality, they are lacking. Let's start with how many competitive shooters win with XS sights? Well, not that competition is everything, but a lot of stuff gets ironed out in competition. Plus, IDPA, etc. is not about 'target shooting' and no one that I know of uses XD sights.

From my experience in various lighting conditions, there are many lighting conditions where you simply can't see the white dot on the front sight. I'm not talking about subdued lighting, I first noticed this on a bright, sunny day with my target in bright sunlight. I was standing under a roofed shooting platform and all I could see was a black outline of the front sight - no white at all. And try as I did, I could not consistently align the semi-circular front sight profile with the shallow 'V' rear sight well enough to get acceptable, repeatable shot placement. Even if you go with the front sight only, it was still difficult to achieve the placement and speed of shots that I get with conventional sights.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I was looking at these for the Ruger, but a comment on them kept bothering me:

I took them off because at the distance these are designed for, you don't need sights.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    I was looking at these for the Ruger, but a comment on them kept bothering me:
    I took them off because at the distance these are designed for, you don't need sights.
    But the same is true for conventional sights.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I have them on a 640 and like it a lot. I haven't had any degradation in accuracy from stock j-frame sights - I think I shoot better, especially short distance.

I have them on my XDs. I love them, especially giving my less than stellar vision. I had no problem passing a LE qualification course with my XD45C and Big Dots. They are not target sights, but really good combat/fighting sights to 20-25 yards. Good trigger control, proper holding, breathing and stance are all important though. I went through about 50 rounds before I was comfortable with these sights, YMMD though. I was coming from 12 years of Glocks. They now seem just as accurate as Glocks standard sights to me.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

they are great on my 640 but i also have them on my 23 and 27. i have no trouble at distant targets, but they aren't target sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    So by saying they are SD sights, that means we're willing to give up accuracy for some slight speed advantage??? So if you have to make a head shot on half a head at 20 feet because that's all that's available, how does the speed compare. Not meaning to be critical at all, but with that 'SD' sight we are giving up accuracy that we may need in some other scenario.
    Tangle, if you were in the same situation and you had your perferred sight system, would you still take the shot? What if it was a family memember?

You make some valid points, but each can be applied to a different sighting system with varied results. We all have choices to make in our equipment, based on what we think we will encounter, which is only a guess at best. I chose speed, because most times a firearm is needed for SD it is in close range and speed will make the difference in that instance. Can I hit a paper target in the situation you described at 20 ft? You bet I can with XS system, but would I do it if I had too, not sure I would take the shot with any handgun. Too much at stake.

Each system has its merits and is limited by their designers. With the situation I have today (kids gone, just the wife), the situation described is not likely to happen. We are always close together and her heads swivels more than mine, so the XS system fits my needs for my EDC. My other handguns, have 3 dots and work well.

Cool

I have them on my G-19 and G-23 which are my off duty concealed carry guns. They work well for me and my 64 year old eyes. Fast front sight pick up and dot the "I". My duty G-21 has the three dot Glock night sights and my department will not let me change them or I would. My newly obtained G-36 has the factory night sights but will get the change over soon. They are not for everyone but they are definately for me.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Accuracy...

bbmclain likes this.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Links