Kahr PM9

Kahr PM9

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All!!! My first "real" post! I am VERY close to doing something I shouldn't do but I want to do. And that is buy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr PM9

Kahr PM9

Hello All!!!

My first "real" post!

I am VERY close to doing something I shouldn't do but I want to do. And that is buy a new gun tomorrow. I've been in the market for a BUG for a while now, and have narrowed it down to the Kahr PM9 with the Tungsten DLC slide. Since tomorrow is coming real soon, and the "itch" grows worse the closer it gets to 10am tomorrow (time my favorite gun store opens), I need all the info you all can give me (good and especially bad) on this little gun. Ideally I want to carry it on my ankle or in my pocket. How does it shoot, reliability, ammo pickiness, etc.

Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome already.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Assistant Administrator
    I have no Kahr but, seeing as you need info - and fast - do please try some searches on the site - could well speed up your info gathering.

Try ''Kahr PM9'' as the search criteria and hopefully plenty of threads - it is much discussed.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I've got one and it's great. Hope that helps.

They are rumored to require 200 rounds to be reliable. Mine didn't, but the owner's manual says they do.

A few early ones were reputed not to feed Speer Gold Dot bullets very well, but apparently those manufactured in 2004 and later didn't have that problem. That was a problem mine was supposed to have had, but it didn't.

The trigger pull is LOOOOOOONG, but I think that's OK becuase there is no external safety.

Mine is more accurate than I thought it would be. I can keep'em all in the black at 5 yards, and that's more than enough accuracy for an arm's length CQB weapon, IMHO.

The recoil springs need replacing every thousand rounds or so, more often, probably if you shoot a lot of +P or +P+ out of it.

You also need to load the first round by pulling the slide all the way back, locking it back, inserting the magazine, then pushing the slide release, instead of the standard method, which is jam the magazine in and rack the slide.

Also very important to keep the internals well-lubricated.

Very concealable. Heckuva, heckuva pocket gun.

Good luck and have fun!

I was also looking at the PM9. Instead I bought the PM40 because it was used, in great condition and a good price. It doesn't have the DLC, but I don't mind because the all their slides are stainless. I find it fits very easily into my pocket. It is quite accurate out to 15-20 feet. Recoil felt almost equal to my GLOCK 26 in 9mm and I must say it was a pleasant surprise.

However I only put 80 rounds through it before it was sent back to the factory. The slide kept staying back after I had fired half the mag. Both followers were broken so that might have been a factor.

If you do have problems, Kahr does have good customer service. I called Kahr and they mailed me 3 new followers for free. And the gun shop said the trip back to Kahr won't cost me a dime.

VIP Member
    Some folks have had problems with the PM9....mine has been reliable after the 200 round break-in period...during the period, I had a number of FTF/E's....the gun is now trouble free in over 1000 rounds.

I pocket carry my PM9.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I have been thinking about a PM9 for awhile now but haven't gotten one just yet. Been buying other gun's that have been coming up for sale as of late that has kept me from it.

It would be a pure back up for me and that's probably why I have waited so long. And as long as nothing else comes avaiable for sale that I have to have I am hoping this will be the next gun I pick up to get it over with. I here lot's of good things about them, some not so good sometimes but for the most part they are highly rated from owners of them.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

very reliable, very concealable, very convenient....buy it and don't look back.

So did you go buy the Kahr this afternoon? If so did you shoot it and how did it perform?

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Anxious to hear 1st range report....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

tim
    I've had one for a couple of years now. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I have never had any trouble with mine at all. Got a couple of thousand rounds through it so far. Keep it well lubed, they like that.

tim

Range Report

Well...

I took it to the range but only had time to shoot one 50 round box through it. I was hoping to be one of those lucky people whose PM9 was reliable, even throught the 200 round break-in. I was not. I know that the break-in is pretty much mandated by Kahr, but it is damn depressing to see a gun that just cost you 572+ tax have a FTF every magazine, keeping in mind that the magazine only holds 7. But I will keep the faith and stay optimistic and try to finish up the break in with about 250 more rounds later on this week.

2nd range report coming soon.

Thanks for everyone's help

Glockitup, please do keep us posted with the range results, I would also try other ammo as well to see if that makes any difference at all.

I am interested in your findings because I have been looking at the Kahrs (PM9) for awhile now for a bug.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I'll try to post more later. I put 120 rounds through mine on Sunday. 100 rounds were my FMJ reloads. 20 were Remington 115 gr +P+. No failures. After the gun heated up, empty magazines didn't drop free. At first I thought the gun was shooting to the right, but I think that was me. After 50 rounds I was hitting the center without any problem. Accuracy wasn't great, but again I think that is me -- it's a long, relatively heavy trigger pull and a small light gun, so it's quite a bit of difference from a 42 oz 1911 with a 3 1/2 lb trigger.

Range Report: Part II

Ok,

So I want back to the range to finish up the break in for my PM9. While the pistol had noticeably better reliability a problem did persist. I'm not sure if it is me, or the gun so I need everyone's help. The trigger did not reset after every shot. It was a very weird event. I may have not been releasing the trigger enough and I am just "messing up" the trigger mechanism. This is my first pistol with such a LONG pull. In order to get the gun to fire I must pull the trigger again, and release it without my finger riding it to its resting position. I kinda snap it back to its resting position, and it resets. I put 250 rounds through it today, and 50 the day I bought it. What do you all think it is: me or the gun.

If you think its me any tips? And has anyone else had this problem?

It's a damn nice gun anyways, and I can't wait to get it (or me) to the point where I can pocket carry in my new Galco pocket holster.
    Last edited by GlockinItUp; July 10th, 2006 at 08:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links