New XDM Compact

This is a discussion on New XDM Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by skorittnig Sorry if my post came across as this GM--I have been, and am still very curious about carrying an XD. I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New XDM Compact

Quote Originally Posted by skorittnig View Post
    Sorry if my post came across as this GM--I have been, and am still very curious about carrying an XD. I was asking how others that are considering the XD are justifying the added cost. I am not sure that it is any more carry friendly than the G26 or G19 in terms of its thickness or grip length. I have large hands, and often have trouble with the sub-compact guns--so I am always skeptical of their ergonomics--and the thickness of the gun is also a priority of mine.

How do these measurements compare? I haven't found a thickness of the XD on their website.
    I have had an XD40sc, and I have an XD9sc on layaway now. I have a Glock 19 and Glock 26. That being said, the XD9sc is darn near the same size as a Glock 26, but the grip is a lot better. The Glock 26 (without a pearce extension) my pinky folds under the bottom. With the XD9sc even without a pinky extension, just the standard magazine, I get a full grip. Also the standard short magazine is 13 rounds vs 10 rounds on the Glock 26. There is a bit of a difference to me. I still like the Glock 26, but I'm thinking I'm going to enjoy shooting and carrying the XD9sc more.

Grip width on the XD9sc is 1.2 inches. Glock I believe is 1.19 ? about the same, but the XD "feels" thinner.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    The aggressive texture on the XDm pistols is just too much for my comfort level.

This is the first model of XDm that makes sense for concealed carry, however.

I love my SAsc. but like someone else said, I may have to get one of these as well, looks pretty good.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I'll wait to get one, too, but mostly because my wallet is tapped out for at least a year unless I sell something. I don't think the XDm compact will have the teething issues because they're not really doing anything new with it as far as design goes.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I have had an XD40sc, and I have an XD9sc on layaway now. I have a Glock 19 and Glock 26. That being said, the XD9sc is darn near the same size as a Glock 26, but the grip is a lot better. The Glock 26 (without a pearce extension) my pinky folds under the bottom. With the XD9sc even without a pinky extension, just the standard magazine, I get a full grip. Also the standard short magazine is 13 rounds vs 10 rounds on the Glock 26. There is a bit of a difference to me. I still like the Glock 26, but I'm thinking I'm going to enjoy shooting and carrying the XD9sc more.

Grip width on the XD9sc is 1.2 inches. Glock I believe is 1.19 ? about the same, but the XD "feels" thinner.

Probably the most informative and useful post of this thread! Thank you!!!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    That is very interesting. Looks good. I was wondering why SA didn't make a compact (subcompact) version of the XDM when they came out.
    because they already have the XD line... which makes me wonder why they are bothering with the XDM?
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    because they already have the XD line... which makes me wonder why they are bothering with the XDM?
    Most of the parts are interchangeable , and there is little functional difference -
    I would hazard a guess that the standard XD line may be discontinued in a couple of years
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Most of the parts are interchangeable , and there is little functional difference -
    I would hazard a guess that the standard XD line may be discontinued in a couple of years
    It just seems silly to me.. do you get my drift?
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Saw one at a local show that a dealer was selling the new XDM Compact for $569 !!! God Bless

VIP Member
    Awe heck! I have so many guns on my wish list... I might as well add this one too!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

My question is, why purchase this gun over a glock? The ergonomics may be different, different is not always better.
    For my wife it was all about the ergonomics. She learned to shoot on a Mark II and the XD is similar to that. She hated the G19 and G26. She loves her XD 9mmsc and can shoot the lights out with it. The fact that she liked it, wanted it, and could shoot it well was worth it. But there really was not much of a price difference anyway.

I'm just trying to figure out how it would be any easier to CC? I know the shorter slide will cut weight. But the grip length is always to hardest thing for me to conceal. It does look good though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

My question is, why purchase this gun over a glock? The ergonomics may be different, different is not always better.
    Different is different, and MAY be better. For me, the XD is better than a Glock. For you, it may not be. If we were all the same, there would only be one type of gun made.

Now that is what Willis was talkin bout....that is what the XDM 3.8 should have been to start with. Not a full size grip with a short barrel. That is one heck of a nice subcompact and fullsize in one.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I'm just trying to figure out how it would be any easier to CC? I know the shorter slide will cut weight. But the grip length is always to hardest thing for me to conceal. It does look good though.
    Chief, I think the slide is actually longer than the XDsc. If I read your post right, your wife has the XD9sc which has a 3" barrel. The XDm is 3.8". Actually longer in the barrel/slide than the standard XDsc.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

It would be nice if the "XD Gear Mag X-Tension" pieces would slide over the existing 19 round XDm mags to adapt the old XDm mags to the compact frame. It looks like the ones they are selling are just replacement base plates for the short mags. This would be a great aftermarket part for people with a bunch of 19 rounders sitting around.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links