CCW - PM9 or LCR 357?

CCW - PM9 or LCR 357?

This is a discussion on CCW - PM9 or LCR 357? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For an 'always in the pocket' gun which would you pick?...

View Poll Results: PM9 or LCR 357?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • LCR 357

21 60.00%
  • PM9

14 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question CCW - PM9 or LCR 357?

For an 'always in the pocket' gun which would you pick?
    Regards,

Dean

LCR 357, guaranteed to go bang, even with pocket fuzz. and I am sort of in the market for a PM9 or a PM9 size gun. I just sold my failure-to-eject-o-matic-kel-tec-piece-crap with a disclosure for a huge loss
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

I say PM9. Nothing wrong with a snubbie in the pocket. I'm just not a revo guy.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I was leaning towards the LCR. But not sure yet...
    Regards,

Dean

I would definitely try both in several styles of pants you own before deciding which one is more comfortable.

I own a Kahr PM9 and don't find it to be comfortable for pocket carry, especially when you add a holster. I also own a S&W 638 and don't find that a revolver works for me. My thighs are muscular (soccer player), so the cylinder prints badly. I do pocket carry a Kahr P380 since it's a lot lighter and smaller.

I have carried a S&W 642 in the past w/ a desantis pocket holster and it worked fine. I am pretty sure either would be OK. Just looking for folks who have experience with either.
    Regards,

Dean

A vote for the LCR here.... awesome tool IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I carry a S&W 442 in the pocket, but some people have problem with pocket carrying a snub nose revolver. You should also take a look at the LCP which is so easy to conceal in the pocket.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I have a PM9 and a 642, just can't pocket carry in all pants, I am 5'10" tall and 190lbs, not all pockets are big enough to allow good access and most print to much. I got rid of my LCP Ruger I did not think a 380 was enough cartridge for EDC, I do miss the small easy to hid ability of the LCP.

The PM9 fits in a bellyband and hides well when I need to tuck my shirt in, when shirt is untucked a AIWB holster or the clip draw works well.

I would go with the LCR. My reasons are, you can fire more than one shot from inside the pocket, something most auto-loader cannot do.

Both firearms are very well made and reliable, Choose the one that feels and fits your needs best. For me that was snub-nose revolver in .38special, but I have been told I am paranoid. I carry a XD9 and two reloads on my belt, and Kel-Tek P32 in an ankle holster and Taurus 85UL in my pocket, also carry a few tough type strips for it as well.
    Semper Fi

Between the two, I'd choose the LCR. I have a PM9 and a .38 LCR, and the PM9 for me, just doesn't work in a pocket. For "my" pockets in fact, nothing works better than an LCP in a DeSantis pocket holster. Smaller, lighter, flatter than either of the above. If I had to choose between the two you listed for pocket carry, it'd be the LCR.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Yup, you really need to try them to see if they work in your pants.

Revolvers don't work in my pockets - my thighs are too big, and they print too much...especially in business suit pants, which are a thin material.

I did carry a PM9 in a pocket for several years, and it worked - just barely. Had to have some pockets deepened to keep the grip from peeking out. It is also a bit heavy for that role. After I started having reliability issues with it, I sold it.

I now use a LCP for pocket duty. I have one that has been flawless, but the second one I recently purchased has been back to Ruger twice for feed and ejection failures, and dropped magazines. I'm not yet at a point where I trust it. My wife's LCP has also had some issues. Bottom line - OK for a secondary, but I don't trust it as a primary - that role goes to my G26 in a Smartcarry.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

IMO:
    PM9 - More accurate, faster reloads, thinner so better for belt carry
    LCR - More reliable, more ammo options, less expensive, better in the pocket

I feel like the 357 out of a 2" barrel is about the same power as a 9mm out of a 3" barrel... tough call. I want both.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

LCR if it will fit your pants pockets well.

I carry a LCR 357 in my off hand pocket all day every day. Serious back up gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links