Kimber CDP II - First range trip!

This is a discussion on Kimber CDP II - First range trip! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got to the range with the CDP II yesterday. Yowza! What a pleasure to shoot! Ran 225 rounds of WWB 230gr FMJ without a hiccup. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber CDP II - First range trip!

Got to the range with the CDP II yesterday. Yowza! What a pleasure to shoot! Ran 225 rounds of WWB 230gr FMJ without a hiccup. Ran one mag of Winchester Ranger 230gr JHP +P as a test and it delivered just fine. I'm using 2 Wilson Combat 47OX mags. Once again, I was extremely pleased with Kimber's sight setup. Absolutely dead on, no adjustments needed here. Accurate, reliable, and comfortable. Everything I want it to be. About another 300 rounds of ball through her, then I'll start testing the JHPs to find the best load.

Shot another 100 rounds through the Desert Warrior with equally satisfying results. Kimber has certainly come through for me with this pair.

Digital camera's on the fritz, so no range pics this time, but here's the CDP II:

Be well and shoot well!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

nice piece ! the two-tone with the cocobolo (?) grips look great.
    thats a three inch barrel correct ? were the wilson mags stock ?
    Arthur

Assistant Administrator
    Very nice - and reassuring to know such a short barrel piece can be good for function and reliability.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Glad that you had a good range day and the breakin' in process is advanceing according to plan.

My UC CDP II's both work flawlessly. Have changed out the springs in my training weapon once so far but probably didn't need to. Am keeping the spring set to reinstall when I get a couple thousand rds. on the new set.

The top end of your weapon will get kinda loose eventually(after several thousand rds.). I talked to Kimber and they stated that was normal and it will only make the weapon MORE reliable. I would agree with that statement. I explained to them how we trained, and what my weapon has been subjected to and they were kinda amazed. They felt that it was kinda at the extream end of the "normal use" chart.

They also restated that the "non steel" frame was good for "at least" 20K rds.

Hope you enjoy your Kimber as much as I do mine. Shootin'and carrying are both great. ---------

Good looking weapon. My Kimbers hace always beem good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by artz
    nice piece ! the two-tone with the cocobolo (?) grips look great.
    thats a three inch barrel correct ? were the wilson mags stock ?
    Arthur

Hi, Arthur. The grips are rosewood, as are the ones I put on the Desert Warrior. You are correct, the Ultra model has the 3" barrel. Since I already had a full-size 1911, I wanted to go for the smallest version for concealed carry. I also considered models from Springfield Armory and Para Ordnance (both fine weapons) before deciding on this Kimber. It came with a single Kimber mag, so I bought the Wilson mags extra. I really liked the Wilsons I had already gotten for the DW.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Very nice - and reassuring to know such a short barrel piece can be good for function and reliability.
    I'm real happy about that! I've read a few complaints about the reliability of the short barrel models, but no probs here. Accuracy (of the pistol, not necessarily of me!) was impressive, even at 25 yards, a greater distance than I'd ever expect to shoot in a defensive situation.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Glad that you had a good range day and the breakin' in process is advanceing according to plan.

My UC CDP II's both work flawlessly. . . .
    Hope you enjoy your Kimber as much as I do mine. Shootin'and carrying are both great. ---------
    I was really tempted by an Ultra Carry with the Crimson Trace laser grips for a hundred bucks less than the CDPII. Decided on the CDP II for the fit, feel and finish, and the ambi safety (my young bride's a lefty). I figured I can always add the CT grips if I ever want to.

Glad to hear yours are holding up so well, because it's so much fun to shoot, it's going to get a LOT of rounds through it!
    Cheers,
    Rod

Nice
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

rodc13, But look what you got for the extra $$. Things that to me are a very big plus for a CC weapon. Total melt job >>ambi safety>>front strap checkered(drop by your local gunshop and see how much this'll cost ya)>>night sights. All needed for CC. Hey man,you done good.-------
    Last edited by RSSZ; July 9th, 2006 at 12:29 PM.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Congrad. on the pistol. I'm glad you liked it. I had to run 250 or so rounds through my 5"CDP before it got polished up enough to reliably feed JHP. It's a tack driver. I don't pack it as often as I do my 4" pistols.

rodc13, Forgot to mention also,you ought to take a close look at the VZ brand grips. I have their canvas micarta on 3 of my 1911's including both of my CDP's. They are a tiny bit slimmer than the OEM's and are quite a bit rougher. I love 'em. -------

RSSZ could you please post pics of the VZ's on your CDP's? I am seriuosly wanting to get a set for mine but would love to see how they look first.

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    rodc13, Forgot to mention also,you ought to take a close look at the VZ brand grips. I have their canvas micarta on 3 of my 1911's including both of my CDP's. They are a tiny bit slimmer than the OEM's and are quite a bit rougher. I love 'em. -------
    Yes, I think the slimmer grips would probably be a good idea for a carry piece, and the VZs look great. Alumagrips have also been mentioned as an option to consider.

It's also been suggested that a higher capacity backup magazine would be a good idea, so I think I'll get the 100 round double-drum Beta-C. Shouldn't be too hard to conceal, do ya think?
    Last edited by rodc13; July 9th, 2006 at 02:06 AM.
    Cheers,
    Rod

VIP Member
    I really like how the grips contrast against the gun's two-toned coloring.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links