I want a 1911 I think.

This is a discussion on I want a 1911 I think. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to get some information on 1911's to help with purchase and deciding if it is for me. I like to buy quality , ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I want a 1911 I think.

I want a 1911 I think.

I wanted to get some information on 1911's to help with purchase and deciding if it is for me.

I like to buy quality, that being said I know a lot of a buying decision is personal preference. Price I would like to stay under $1,000. Kimbers have had a lot of issues on other places I have read, my thoughts are to go with a Colt in a 4" or 5" barrel.

I would use for a range gun and some CCW, accuracy and reliability would be important.

I reload so I am sure I will for the 45acp, and I do shoot once per month or more so a gun that will last a lifetime is important.

Thanks for your input.

2. Remove Ads

Personally I'd stick with a 5" barrel, that is the way a 1911 is supposed to be. Figure out which features you want on your 1911, things like beavertail safety, ambi thumb safety, flat or rounded main spring housing, commander hammer, forward serrations, and find one in your price range that has all the features you want.

Personally I really like Springfield Armory 1911s, and think that their "Loaded" models, is one of the best non-custom 1911's. They can be had for under a grand, and have a lifetime warranty.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    There are certainly inexpensive (not "cheap") 1911 models out there well under your price limit. I prefer the straight GI model myself. Regardless of what namebrand you choose, bare in mind that not all 1911s will readily feed all types/brands of ammo, and some polishing/adjusting/tuning may be needed to get it running 100%.

If you check all the websites, read the reviews, handle as many make/models as you can, I'm sure you'll find one that just seem "right."
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well, personally, my first choice would be a Colt (nothing else feels the same) due to resale value. If you don't like it, you can usually get back out without too big a whoopin'. The 1991 Commander is a good one in Stainless, can be had for around $700-$750.

Springfields are very good, lots of choices there both in features and price. I like them, but have never been able to get the accuracy of a Colt or Kimber out of them--YMMV But, great guns, and once broken in--they run.

Kimbers generally give very good accuracy, but depreciate quite a bit. You might find a used one for a decent price, but most of the Kimber owners I know, would never trade theirs off, so you have to wonder--Why did they trade it off?

The 4.25" Commander length is perfect for all around work.

Just my personal preference,but the 5" barrel is the way to go because once you have the 4" for a while,you get to wanting more.Its not bad at concealing.Colt has a very good rep,and if you cant swing past $1000,it sounds like you have made a good choice.However,you get what you pay for.The better 1911s are more expensive.

You will be happy with it,i promise.The accuracy,ergonomics,trigger,and reliability of a well taken care of 1911 is amazing.

drw
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Personally I'd stick with a 5" barrel, that is the way a 1911 is supposed to be. Figure out which features you want on your 1911, things like beavertail safety, ambi thumb safety, flat or rounded main spring housing, commander hammer, forward serrations, and find one in your price range that has all the features you want.

Personally I really like Springfield Armory 1911s, and think that their "Loaded" models, is one of the best non-custom 1911's. They can be had for under a grand, and have a lifetime warranty.
    I agree with everything buckeyeLCPL posted.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    There are certainly inexpensive (not "cheap") 1911 models out there well under your price limit. I prefer the straight GI model myself. Regardless of what name-brand you choose, bare in mind that not all 1911s will readily feed all types/brands of ammo, and some polishing/adjusting/tuning may be needed to get it running 100%.

If you check all the websites, read the reviews, handle as many make/models as you can, I'm sure you'll find one that just seem "right."
    I was wanting another one myself just a few years ago. IMO.....mil spec or a GI model. Sometimes I could kick my own tail, but what's done is done. Truth be know, lots of the offerings are pretty, and they have a lot of custom work behind them from the factory. The price is just what keeps me out of the market for the new and fancy. I'd just as soon have my M1911 issue from 1982 all used and abused. If you want to drop a grand on a 1911 style pistol, then IMO find a used one...figure out what you want or need to work with...and see what Wilson's Combat can do for it within your budget. My answer for my dilemma over another 1911A1 landed me into a single action SIG. My ordeal lasted several years. Still sort of miss the weight and feel of the GI model. I spent a lot of time, money, and effort into my first 1911 as a civilian since it seemed the thing to do and I read a lot of the gun magazines at the time. Figured I could make something better and nicer to look at. My mistake. I sold that one to get into something more modern. That was a mistake as well. Live and learn. One of these days, it will hit me, and I'll take a left and a right just to get up off the ground and say I'll take it. I've got something to hold me by until that day comes. I've learned that when I don't ask for things to happen...they usually do without expectation in due time.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post

I'll second the motion.
    Last edited by Ram Rod; November 26th, 2010 at 07:43 PM.

My first 1911 and the third are both 5-inchers and I have no problem concealing them, but the in-between gun is the Kimber version of a Lightweight Commander (CDP Pro). If you're going to be carrying all day, the 10 fewer ounces is noticeable after several hours. The gun is no less accurate than my 5" ones, although there is a bit more muzzle flip due primarily to the lighter weight. My next 1911 will probably be a steel 4-inch (just to round out the collection).

My Kimber has been trouble-free (once I threw away the lousy Kimber-furnished magazine), but obviously there has been a lot of chatter and debate here and on the other gun forums about problems with brand K.

However, Colts have had their share of problems in spite of the 'mystique' of the pony on the grips. Hopefully their woes are behind them now, but in the not-so-distant past (80s through the mid-90s) Colt quality suffered badly when the State of Connecticut was a major owner, the UAW was on strike in West Hartford, and new manufacturing tooling was being developed to improve manufacturing quality. In the late 90s, Colt made no bones about abandoning the civilian market with the discontinuation of all their double-action revolvers (Python) and all the small-frame semiautos (.380s). Colt customer service to guys like us has also been a lesser priority with military and LE sales being far more important than "civilian" sales.

None of that is to discourage you from getting a Colt, but rather to enlighten you. The Colt legend and mystique tend to generate more emotion than, say, ‘newcomers’ like Springfield Armory and Kimber.

Since you stated you “like to buy quality” and your budget tops out around $1K, my opinion (which is worth exactly what you’re paying for it) is to look closely at the Springfield Armory offerings. You can’t go wrong with their quality, and they stand behind their products with a great customer service group.

Post back and let us know what you decided on!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    After trying out (shooting) 6 different brands I went with the S&W 1911 Rail model. I have never had a malfunction utilizing a number of different types of ammo and I have been amazed at its accuracy. Its been two years of enjoyment.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

kpw
    I've had 2 Colts, 2 Springers and 3 Kimbers in varying lengths over the years. All had some minor issues that were easily dealt with and all became reliable shooters. The number one difference maker has been magazines. The factory mags would usually feed ball without much issue but would choke on at least some jhps. I'm a big believer in Wilson mags amd Wolff springs because they've helped solve a lot of 1911 issues for me. Many feel the same way about Tripp Research mags as well. My current Kimber TLE has had zero issues so equipped and feeds Hydra-Shoks, Gold Dots, Golden Sabers and any generic jhp I've put through it. Find a model you like from any of them and deal with any minor issues you might have. Chances are you might not have any at all.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I can second the Springer Loaded. One of my best 1911 guns. Next is the Kimber Ultra CDP...mighty nice. Not too far in the distance is my Charles Daly [now defunct mfg.] but, Armscorp or Rock Island or other Phillipine. A good gun just know that you are getting an entry level gun and know you may possibly have to replace a few parts and do some polishing. Heck, my Charles Daly EFS tuned up is right on par with the Springfield in terms of accuracy and reliability. Springer and Kimber of course are better fit and finish.

The Daly has severe holster wear from being carried so much.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    I've had 2 Colts, 2 Springers and 3 Kimbers in varying lengths over the years. All had some minor issues that were easily dealt with and all became reliable shooters. The number one difference maker has been magazines. The factory mags would usually feed ball without much issue but would choke on at least some jhps. I'm a big believer in Wilson mags amd Wolff springs because they've helped solve a lot of 1911 issues for me. Many feel the same way about Tripp Research mags as well. My current Kimber TLE has had zero issues so equipped and feeds Hydra-Shoks, Gold Dots, Golden Sabers and any generic jhp I've put through it. Find a model you like from any of them and deal with any minor issues you might have. Chances are you might not have any at all.
    What he said.^^^^

This was a great thread, cause I've slimmed down the choices for my new/first 1911 ('after the holidays') to the Colt combat commander 4.5, SS or the SA Loaded Champion 4, SS. I'm opting for the 4" barrel as it'll be a alternate CCW piece. (I currently carry a PX4sc). THe replies have been very helpful. Thanks for all the experienced opinions.

We ALL want a 1911!

The Duke
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

Quote Originally Posted by DukeShooter View Post
    We ALL want at least one 1911!

The Duke
    There, fixed it...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links