Tritium/Fiber Optic Hanggun Sights for my XD-45

Tritium/Fiber Optic Hanggun Sights for my XD-45

This is a discussion on Tritium/Fiber Optic Hanggun Sights for my XD-45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been using the TruGlo brand fiber optic sights on my hunting bow for years now, so I had my dealer order a set ...

Thread: Tritium/Fiber Optic Hanggun Sights for my XD-45

Thumbs up Tritium/Fiber Optic Hanggun Sights for my XD-45

I have been using the TruGlo brand fiber optic sights on my hunting bow for years now, so I had my dealer order a set of their Tritium/Fiber Optic Handgun Sights for my XD-45. All I can say is WOW!!! They are amazingly bright in the daylight and the lime green is surrounded by enough black that they don't dissappear against a foliage background. I had to wait until the evening to really be able to see the brightness of the tritium running through the fiber, and it is bright but not too bright. The large fibers really enhance the ability to line up the sights without problems in the dark.

I only have one concern. These are made for the XD pistols (TG131XT) and not Glock sights (TG131TG1 or 2) installed on the XD, and there is a very visible gap between the bottom of the sight and the top of the slide, about the thickness of one of my standard business cards. I really don't think this will matter functionally, it's just a asthetic matter to me.

One thing I was wondering about before installation, was if the tritium vial will light up the exposed fiber on the top of the sight, in the dark, making it glow when the gun is in the holster and the rear sight is exposed. Yes it is concealed under a shirt or some other cover garment, but could still put off a slight glow through the fabric. It does not.....only the end of the fiber glows and the front of the sight (facing the bad guy) is closed, to house the tritium vial and can't be seen. I am guessing this is inherent to the fiber design.

I had the sights installed by my local gunsmith who has the proper type of pusher vise to do the job without damage to either seg of sights. He did tell me that the rear factory sight on the XD's he has replaced are the tights of all the sights he works with, and wouldn't you know it that he said myne were almost impossible to get out. Installed the sights and labor for installation ran me a few pennies past $110.00. I must say thay change the profile greatly. The front sight is looong and shortens the sight length by about 3/4". I have no problem with this but others looking for a longer sight to sight length may not like it.

He placed one of the laser bullet sighting devices in the gun and at 20 yards the sights lined up to point of laset dot impact. it top of the sight actually cut right through the middle of the dot, just the way I like it. I have never liked the 6 o'clock sighting hold.

I hope to get to the range next week to check out this alignment. Here are a few pics, so I dont get razzed:

The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Lead Moderator
    Nice write up, let us know how they work on the range. I see it does change the profile a bit.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I just got my xd45 today and cant wait to try it out. I had an xd40 sub before and it was stolen. I have to say I am very impressed with springfield on these. I dont mean to be rude but those sights look terrible from the side. I am wanting night sights myself but the factory sights look a lot cleaner. Once again please dont take that the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by speakle
    I just got my xd45 today and cant wait to try it out. I had an xd40 sub before and it was stolen. I have to say I am very impressed with springfield on these. I dont mean to be rude but those sights look terrible from the side. I am wanting night sights myself but the factory sights look a lot cleaner. Once again please dont take that the wrong way.
    speakle,
    I agree.....thats why I dont look at it from the side.....ROFLMAO!!! It takes a lot more than an opinion from someone to get me riled. I do like the way the sights work though. I saw a pair of the non-tritium fiber optics on another XD Sunday and they were half the size of mine. Oh well, I'll just have to live with a gun with loooonnngggg sights.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I have these on my P229 and I love them (I also had them on a Glock 26 I used to own). The sight picture is pretty consistent going from one lighting situation into another, and they are probably the brightest night sights I have ever seen, (I've used both Trijicons and Meps). Not too crazy about the profile either (specially on the 229 since the top of the slide is rounded and the base of the rear sight is flat), and it does shorthen the sight radius a bit, but there are trade-offs for just about anything anymore.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Hope you like them....
    Is there a space between the top of the slide and the bottom of the sights?
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmak
    Hope you like them....
    Is there a space between the top of the slide and the bottom of the sights?
    Don't know if this was directed to me or not, but will answer anyway.

There is a space between the top pf the slide and the bottom of the rear sight. It is pretty noticeable from the side. I was thinking of manufacturing some sort of filler piece to bridge that gap and give it a more finished appearance.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Sponsored Links