Lefties VS Righties..

Lefties VS Righties..

This is a discussion on Lefties VS Righties.. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To you southpaws out there, do you feel limited to only effectively using an ambidextrous gun or have you become accustomed enough to not be ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lefties VS Righties..

Southpaw BUG recommendations?

To you southpaws out there, do you feel limited to only effectively using an ambidextrous gun or have you become accustomed enough to not be hindered by a "right-handed" one?

I'll be picking up a pistol for my lefty girlfriend for xmas. She's certainly partial to guns with ambidextrous controls yet operates my right-handed guns without a problem.

In your left-handed experience, do you gravitate towards left-handed pistols or has experience taught you to function adequately and automatically either way?

I was thinking the Ruger LCP but it doesn't seem to be ambidextrous. Ideas?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Bumper; November 28th, 2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Merged with "Southpaw Recommendations"
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the problem with it not being ambidextrous as far as a SD situation goes?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Smith and Wesson J-frame would fit the bill in my mind, unless you need to have a semi-auto.

One of the Mod's should be able to move it wherever you want it to go if you just shoot them a PM.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

LCP as a bug should really work well in most defensive situations. If she has emptied her edc and needs to.go.to.her bug as a last resort she has probably entered a fight where she really needed a rifle.

Go with the LCP and it.should work fine as a bug.

LCP as a bug should really work well in most defensive situations. If she has emptied her edc and needs to.go.to.her bug as a last resort she has probably entered a fight where she really needed a rifle.

Go with the LCP and it.should work fine as a bug.

If it's only a BUG, why not try a j-frame or an LCR?

How about a Charter Arms snubbie? They have a model designed for lefties in which the cylinder swings to the right. Not to mention they have several "girly" colors to choose from. www.charterarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3rik View Post
    GF's a lefty. Santa's on the way and he's bringin' her a new CPL. She'll need a dedicated LCP to go with it.

I was thinking the Ruger LCP but it doesn't seem to be ambidextrous. Ideas?

-While we're at it, can someone tell me how to get a post moved to the correct forum?
    CLICK IT

I carry and shoot my P-3at left handed. I have never had a problem with it. No Safety to worry about. Just grip and squeeze.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2ľ barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

VIP Member
    Work-arounds are fine on the range, but in a defensive situation, I like to know I can operate my firearm without a second hand or fumbling through a left hand accommodation.

That being said, there are many options out there. My primary concern is that if the gun has a manual safety, it must be ambidextrous. Everything else is negotiable and depends on how the controls are located. As long as I can properly reach them, I'm OK.

My personal opinion is that any defensive firearm should be operable with either hand (and most are). What if a righty injures his/her right hand? Are they going to go out and buy a "left-handed" gun? I don't think so.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Lead Moderator
    Roadrunner71 said all.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    It's a right handed world and I have been shooting right handed guns since I was a kid. When I got my M&P I was able to reverse the mag release to make it left handed. I couldn't work it. So I put it back to being right handed and it feels normal. I prefer mag & slide release to be right handed. It's just what I'm used to. BUT an Ambi safety is a must. (or no manual safety)

ETA: I do gravitate towards firearms with no manual safety. Glock, M&P and revolvers. Paying for an ambi safety and having one installed can be expensive.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

I'm a lefty and I agree with everything said above. I have an M&P and the fact that I have shot right handed guns all my life I am more comfortable releasing the mag with my index finger. I am also a fan of the German mag release system. I feel that I am quicker with my PPS than with any of my other guns.

Also a big +1 on no manual safties. One more thing to have to make (ambidextrous) and one more opportunity to flub the presentation.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I am a really weird lefty. I shoot left because I am left eye dominant, and I am very comfortable shooting left. However, I am a converted righty (Grandma worked in the Catholic church when I was little, and being lefty was frowned upon still...).

IMO every shooter needs to be competent with either hand in case of injury or other incapacitation. That's perhaps another post. For my carry guns either no manual safety or an ambi is required. My EDC is a Kimber Pro CDP II which has an ambi safety. I also carry an XD9sc, which of course has no manual safety. My BUG is a Taurus 738 TCP, which has no manual safety. I believe that small motor skills will be in VERY short supply in an emergency, so forcing small motor skills as a prerequisite to self-defense is a bad idea. This is also part of my martial arts training.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

As a lefty, I have always found "right-handed" guns (with the non-ambi 1911 being the exception) easier to use than ambi guns. Every right-handed shooter that I know has to shift the gun in their hand to operate the mag release. And some other controls as well. For me, I can reach any control with my trigger finger. I have tried anbi guns, and I have to shift the gun out of firing position (grip) to reach the mag release and some other controls. I like my Wheelguns, Glocks and DA/SA Sigs and have no use for manual safties like the others have mentioned. Stay away from the 1911 platform and she'll have no problems with right handed guns.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links