Fnh 5.7

This is a discussion on Fnh 5.7 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think the claims about wounding capabilities are in error. Check with the soldiers at Ft. Hood, where Maj. Nidal Hasan killed 13 in his ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fnh 5.7

VIP Member
    I think the claims about wounding capabilities are in error. Check with the soldiers at Ft. Hood, where Maj. Nidal Hasan killed 13 in his 'terrorist attack'.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I think the claims about wounding capabilities are in error. Check with the soldiers at Ft. Hood, where Maj. Nidal Hasan killed 13 in his 'terrorist attack'.
    Not really.

Check out some of the accounts of soldiers who were hit three or more times, often several of those rounds in the torso, that were able to run out of the building.

The non LEO loadings are severely neutered, with light-penetrating V-max varmint bullets. While it could be lethal, so can a .22 short or a pellet gun; it's how effective it is in stopping a determined opponent that matters...and in that category, I think the 5.7 is severely lacking.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

There are two bullets currently on the general market. The one mentioned so far in this thread is the SS197 I believe. it is the blue polymer tipped bullet which is basically a varmint round. The other is the SS197LF. It is a hollow tipped design that is made to work more like a normal hollow point. If I had to carry a FiveseveN I would definitely use this one. And it is about the same cost as other premium defensive cartridges.

SS195LF
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Senior Moderator
    The muzzle velocity for the 5.7 out of a pistol is ~ 1650 fps, yielding ~ 250 ft/lbs of energy.

Very similar to the .22 WMR, and way, way less powerful than .223 Rem.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You can check out this site where it says the "sporting" versions of ammo are not classified as armor-piercing by the BATFE and then decide for yourself. It's an interesting read on the round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.7x28mm
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for that OldVet!

I'm not sure it would matter whether there is a round available to civies that would penetrate a BGs vest; it would only be a matter of time before it would be illegal for civies just like all the other rounds.

Something else that was interesting was, "FN states...that the 5.7x28mm has an effective range of 200 m (655 ft) and a maximum range of 1,800 m (5,905 ft) when fired from the P90,[33] and an effective range of 50 m (165 ft) and a maximum range of 1,510 m (4,955 ft) when fired from the Five-seven."

I realize its well over what we'd consider SD range, but still, 50 meters seems a bit marginal to me.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Factory ammo election is extremely limited. Handloading would increase its potential, but most shooters use factory ammo.

The "vest penetration" was pushed by the Brady Bunch. When subjected to standardized testing, it didn't penetrate any better than any other cartridge.
    The "vest penetration" was it's entire reason for development. It was purposefully designed to be fired out of a PDW with an 11.5 inch or more barrel and to defeat CRISAT test armor. That is the ONLY thing it was designed to do. Out of a pistol, it will not behave as well, of course.

As far as reloading is concerned, that is a no-go. The FN 5.7 is designed with a very specific pressure spike in mind, and it uses a proprietary powder. Less than precise loading and playing with the amounts and types of powder could cause the gun to Kb.

VIP Member
    Tangle - there are VERY few pistols that will claim an effective range of more than 50m. Obviously, the actual maximum range will be much, much higher, but 50 is more or less the "standard" max effective range for almost all combat/duty/SD handguns.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Tangle - there are VERY few pistols that will claim an effective range of more than 50m. Obviously, the actual maximum range will be much, much higher, but 50 is more or less the "standard" max effective range for almost all combat/duty/SD handguns.
    Perhaps so, I was wondering if this was more of an issue because of the lighter round and higher velocity. I was thinking the lighter round would slow down quicker one, because it has less inertia and two, more wind resistance due to the high velocity. I think wind resistance is proportional to like the square or cube of the velocity and linear with frontal area. As a light bullet loses velocity the energy starts to drop like a rock!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    There are two bullets currently on the general market. The one mentioned so far in this thread is the SS197 I believe. it is the blue polymer tipped bullet which is basically a varmint round. The other is the SS197LF. It is a hollow tipped design that is made to work more like a normal hollow point. If I had to carry a FiveseveN I would definitely use this one. And it is about the same cost as other premium defensive cartridges.

SS195LF
    Actually, there is 195 and 197 ammo. I think you made a typo in your post (you mentioned 197 twice, yet linked to a picture of the 195 ammo).

The 197 ammo is a VMax round. It does fragment in interesting ways. I have read some ballistic tests done by some people that show an impressive initial wound channel.

The 195 round does have a hollow point, but it does NOT work as a traditional JHP. It does not open up like a JHP pistol round would. It actually "yaws" in the target, and should turn around. Ideally, it points back to the direction it came. In doing so, it makes a wound channel the length of the round in the area it does this "flip."

Personally, of the two factory rounds available commercially, I like the 197 round. I have two PS90s, and I keep the 197 ammo in both. You also get more FPS out of the PS90 than you do out of the FIve Seven.

I previously owned a Five Seven, but sold it in 2008 to help pay for a custom 1911. I have admittedly been thinking of maybe getting another. It's really cool with the 30 round extended mags (the last 10 rounds in the 30 rounder mags are a major pain to load, however).

I used to be the admin of the FN Forum, so I'm pretty familiar with the caliber.

I'm intrigued by it - but in my state limit is 10 rd mag, so half the reason for using it - high number of repeat shots - would be absent.

I think the real ?-marks about it's effectiveness as an SD weapon - where you don't want pass-throughs and you do want quick "stops" - is lack of use by professional police in the field.

And the price makes buying it as a "for the helluvit experiment" not a real option for most of us. Paying a thousand bucks I have to know from others' use - hopefully decades of it - I'm getting an effective weapon as SD - much better than what I've got. So, I don't think I'll be owning one soon. Now if it cost $80 I might.

Actually, one of the purposes of the weapon is to KEEP from having over penetration. The round breaks up on hard targets very well. The round will penetrate fewer interior walls than a traditional round. I've seen videos of the round breaking apart after hitting a couple of walls, and how it goes thru the first layer of a cinder block, but stops before going thru the second "wall" of the cinderblock (it never goes completely thru).

The round is also supposed to not suffer from over penetration of soft targets as much as other rounds do as well.

It's actually a pretty cool round, but to get heavier, more effective rounds requires using non FN rounds by Elite Ammunition.

Still, when I see wound channels in animals or large pieces of meat (where people cut them open to look at the cavity inside), I have been fairly impressed with the wound channel on the 197. I think aim is as important with this round as it is with all rounds.

Will a 45 do more damage? Yes - but this is a cool weapon too - with different advantages AND disadvantages.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links