Problem G33 Glock .357 Sig.

This is a discussion on Problem G33 Glock .357 Sig. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From time to time I've mentioned a few problems with my G33. Looking over a few things I keep track of, I realised I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem G33 Glock .357 Sig.

From time to time I've mentioned a few problems with my G33. Looking over a few things I keep track of, I realised I have not shot the firearm since 7/3/09. I have gone to the range 5 times, and had a problem 3 of those 5 times. A total of 5 FTC, however each time was with a G31 mag (mags that work fine in my G31). One of the selling points of Glock is that you should be able to use the larger mag in the smaller frame. 275 rounds have be fired with this firearm. I'm planing to put 100+ rounds through it tomorrow, to see if I can gain additional confidence.

That is not the problem G33.

Today, my brother took his G33 to the range. He is a Glock fan, and also owns a G32 (along with several other firearms). He is more experienced with firearms then I am. Using G33 mags, his G33 failed to chamber several times (more than 40 out of 100 rounds). Since we were at the same range that we purchased the firearms at, he went out, bought 50 rounds, and had the range master and a few other of the range personnel watch him, try it themselves. Everyone who tried had the same problems.

It was also observed that the .357 Sig rounds that failed to fire were losing their crimp (allowing for bullet setback). Several different methods were used to chamber the first round, but over and over, say 50% of the time, a round would fail to chamber. 10% of the time set back would result (and not because the same round was chambered several times).

Many took a look at the firearm, all with different levels of experience, many deticated Glock fans who at first assumed in was limp wrist, etc. Everything looks correct, no one can figure out why. The only guess offered was there may be a problem with the barrel.

Tomorrow, we are headed back out. Given his problems with his G33, and my minor issues with mine, I've lost confidence. Then again, maybe he simply needs to accept that the gun needs to be sent back, and mine needs a little more break in.

Would not mind any thoughts. Thanks.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I experienced almost the exact same thing with my formerly owned G31. I am a BIG Glock fan and carry one on a daily basis (usually G21SF) but was extremely disappointed with the reliability of the G31. I have a range G21SF and a carry model. I can put 1000's of rounds through my range model (without cleaning) without a hiccup. In addition, my G17 is EXTREMELY reliable as well. I sent my G31 back to Glock 3 times for the feeding issues and they finally traded me for a new G22 at my request.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Due to its short neck, the .357 SIG is very subceptible to set back. Its the nature of the design. As for the feeding isuues, I use a G21 mag in my G30 all the time (each range trip) and have never experienced a problem. I've also fire my son's .40 Glocks with SIG conversion barrels with no feeding problems, so I'm not sure what to make of your issue. I'd certainly avoid the larger mag for SD duty and contact Glock for advice.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Thanis,

I bought a NIB Glock 32 about two years ago, and from the first round it was a jam-0-matic.....could not get through three rounds without a failure to feed........I tried different mags, all kinds of different ammo, recoil spring, polish feedramp and even sent it back to Glock which sent it back "within specs"...LOL....

from what i have found out the problem seemed to be with the followers in the magazine.....there were several threads on another fourm about this problem with the 357 Glocks......there is even a YouTube video of a guy describing the same problem and how he fixed it...IIRC it involved the tab on the top of the mag next to the follower.....i will try to find that video and post back....

I got so disgusted with the Glock 32 having spend hundreds of dollars in ammo trying to get the damn thing to work i just got rid of it and bought a Glock 19 and a 26......zero problems with the 9's......

If i wanted a 357 Sig i would buy and actual Sig Sauer, it sucks because i really wanted to like the Glock 32

edit: here is the youtube video, i found it........he really went the extra mile to figure out what the problem was....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW_0eQ8gn9c

Happy 33 owner here. After 500+ rounds I have had one FTE. My 33 is wonderful to shoot and is my EDC.

SDF880

I would check the magazine followers carefully. Look at the caliber or number stamp on them. Have you ever tried any .40cal magazines with your.357sig? Just wondering. Your G31 magazines likely work fine in the G31, but more than likely older than your G33 magazines. Glock has updated many of their magazine followers and springs for various models/calibers. You're right in theory that any similar caliber Glock magazine should work in a same caliber Glock pistol. However......with an extended magazine such as a G31 in your G33......you'll tend to grip on part of the magazine more than you'd normally grip your G33 with original magazines. If you've ever just simply inserted a full size Glock magazine in a sub compact pistol, you'll feel some play. In the past, I've suggested minimizing possible problems by only going one step up with any specific caliber Glock magazine such as a compact size in a sub compact, and a full size in a compact if you're going to do so. I personally haven't played with mine that much since I don't really see the need. If you're having problems with the G33 and the original G33 magazines...again......I'd scrutinize the magazine followers, get the numbers off them, and give Glock a call and ask for tech support.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Due to its short neck, the .357 SIG is very subceptible to set back. Its the nature of the design. As for the feeding isuues, I use a G21 mag in my G30 all the time (each range trip) and have never experienced a problem. I've also fire my son's .40 Glocks with SIG conversion barrels with no feeding problems, so I'm not sure what to make of your issue. I'd certainly avoid the larger mag for SD duty and contact Glock for advice.
    I always fire any round that has been chambered in my G33 - never unload and save them.

I also check a round or two from a new box of ammo by hand chambering them.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Thank you for the replies. I went to the range today, fired 200 rounds (50 of the 125 GR. TMJ CF Speer Lawman, 100 of the 125 GR MC Remington UMC, 50 of the 125 GR. FMJ Winchester).

Using 31 mags on a G33, once with Speer, once with Winchester, and twice with Remington, after the last round, the slide did not stay open. Maybe limp rist, maybe my hand was somehow against the slide release, but I don't think so. I checked the followers (was a good idea Ram Rod), and they are the same as what is in the G33. I'm going to guess the pressure I place on the portion of the mag that sticks out of the gun might create the issue (as Ram Rod pointed out).

The firearm performed well, however two of the Remington UMC rounds (from the same box) failed to fire on first attempt. The dimple was off center compared to the other rounds. Maybe the ammo, maybe something else, not sure.

As for my brother's G33, continued problems. After 80 rounds, and several issues (most being failure of the first round to chamber), it just appears there is something wrong. It is noticable right off, as the slide does not close correctly. No set back rounds today. Going to send back to Glock. I'll update, always good to find out how customer service will act.

It made him lose a little confidence with Glocks, so he came back with his G32, flawless.

bruce21b, thanks for link.
    NRA Member

Updates on the issue would be good. Most problems are solved in due time although many may not wish to make the time to solve. We're an instant satisfaction society for the most part. I'm sure we'll all get to the bottom of things soon. Thing about being a forum member here....is that you're not alone. Your issues become my issues and even more so if it's Glock. Again........I wish we lived closer. Hang in there.

I had a G33 and never had any issues with it.I saddly sold it.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

dee
    I have a G32 i carry EDC and it been great. The problem with the mags was found by a member i know on GT forum. He indeed went along way to find the source of the 32 failures back then.

My G26 was having failure to feeds yesterday at the range. The problem was limp wristing though. A female friend that never shot before was holding the gun each time it did it. At first I thought it could be that the gun was finally dirty enough to have to be cleaned since the UMC ammo I was using was pretty dirty. Then I thought it could be one of the mags cause we were using the regular 10 round mag and a G19 mag as well. But when I fired it after her, it didn't happen. It didn't start happening until we were well past half of the 300 rounds I brought. So my unofficial guess would be she just got tired and started limp wristing cause she was getting tired. On her last round, the gun did not lock back either. Just further gives me the thought of limp wristing.

I said all that to say this.....don't give up on the Glock tree cause of one or two bad branches.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Issues with 357 glocks are very rare but they happen. I think the magazine follower issue has some merit.

I purchased a 22 rd mag for my G32, ordered a 357 follower from TGS just to be safe. The follower they sent me was radically different from the #2 follower in my 10 other mags. When I swapped out the follower in the 22rd mag the slide wouldn't lock back empty. TGS sent me an old style #2 follower free of charge. That one works fine although I only fired 44 rds through that mag.

There must have been a reason glock completely redesigned the 357 follower, the new design is on the right of the picture.

My G32 has been flawless in 800 rds and 11 different types of ammo.

I have a G-23 that I use a wolf 357 barrel in quite often, I have never had a problem with it.

My brother sent in his Glock. He had to pay the shipping + insurance. Per Glock's request, sent in uncleaned. While this might sound like bad news, it is just an update, as when this is all said and done you never know what extras might come from Glock if the problem is the gun and not the shooter.
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links