The search for a new CCW

This is a discussion on The search for a new CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am searching for a new CCW. I currently have a Sig P238 so I have the small and discreet carry option taken care of, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The search for a new CCW

The search for a new CCW

I am searching for a new CCW. I currently have a Sig P238 so I have the small and discreet carry option taken care of, and I'm comfortable with Condition 1 carry.

I am leaning towards a SA EMP in 9mm. I already have other 9mm handguns and a good supply of ammunition for them. However, it is expensive but I can afford it if I choose to. If I choose to spend less money then I have a lot of options from Sig, SA XD, SW M&P, etc. I am going to go to a range and rent quite a few different options (including Glocks) to see what I like, I have previously not enjoyed shooting Glocks but will give them another shot.

The downside with those other 9mm options is while they are less expensive most of them are doublestacks making them wider and less concealable than a 1911 style singlestack. This makes me think about just getting a smaller .45ACP 1911. I would probably end up spending as much as if I had bought the SA EMP though in order to get enough ammunition saved up to feel comfortable plus new self defense ammo, etc.

Is the additional capacity of the other 9mm's enough of a reason to not go with the SA EMP? Or is the .45ACP worth the additional expense of ammo? Tough decision in my book.

I am not interested in .40SW, if I'm changing calibers then I'm going with the .45 because I shoot it better than a .40SW.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you've got some fun searching ahead of you! FWIW, I carry as a Kahr CW9 as my EDC and I love it. Less expensive than the P series but just as functional. Single stack, 7+1 capacity and a spare mag make me feel very well protected. Granted it only comes with one magazine but even after purchasing a second one I was still just under $500 for the whole deal. I have over 250 flawless rounds of multiple brands of ammo (both FMJ and JHP) through it and its a joy to shoot. It rides great in a Smartcarry or IWB and I can get away with OWB if I've got a jacket or sweatshirt on. Hope this helps and best of luck to you!!
    Last edited by cc9mm; November 28th, 2010 at 12:57 PM.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: Hot Damn! What a Ride!

Gen3 G19
    Taurus TCP
    Ruger 22/45

There's no doubt that a thinner gun is easier to conceal. That said, a Glock, XD, S&W M&P, etc., aren't that hard to conceal if you have a good belt and holster (notice I listed belt first... a good belt will make a good holster better but the reverse is never true.) With regards to a 1911-style 9mm, I really don't see any issue with this especially if you're more comfortable with 9mm. If you're feeling some regret-in-advance while thinking 9mm vs .45 ACP, then go with the 45. Or at least convince yourself you're getting the .45 for a couple days and compare the feeling. Capacity vs the 9mm single stack should be a secondary consideration IMO, since the round count isn't that much different, and you state you shoot .45 well. You can always carry an extra mag, single stack mags carry well.
    Glock 23
    Ruger SP101 2.25"
    Taurus 740 Slim
    Diamondback DB380

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I recommend a Glock 26, S&W M&P9c, Walther PPS or HK P2000/SK.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Actually, compare a Glock 19 to a 4" 1911 with full size grips and the Glock is thinner. The only 1911 that is thinner than a Glock 19 or 26 is wearing thin grip panels. It's not that much of a difference, but the weight savings are a big plus. Not that a 1911 is really "heavy" on the belt line, but it does tend to remind you it's there more than a Glock or similar polymer pistol would. I will admit though, neither is uncomfortable at all.

I carry a Dan Wesson CBOB 1911 with 2 spare mags or a Glock 23 with one spare mag. Both IWB with different makes of holster. Both conceal fine, carry well on my Beltman Shark belt and are reliable enough to stake my life on.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I have a Kahr PM9 which is one of my favorite carry guns. Thin, 6+1 capacity, and not so heavy. It's been very good to date. I had a CW9 which the trigger pivot pin started working it's way out. Sent it to Kahr, they replaced the frame, used all the inner parts from my original and built me a new gun. I always thought of Glocks as too thick to carry, but I normally wear oversized baggy T-shirts, and I'm able to conceal pretty well my Glock 26 in a OWB Don Hume J.I.T. slide at 2:30 or 3:00 oclock. Yes thinner is easier, but I don't think the SA EMP is all that thin.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sometimes I feel this thickness/thinness debate of single stack versus double stack, one make versus another in regard to concealibility is overdone. Most guns measure within fractions of an inch of the next, but it's made to sound like one is the size of a 2x4 in comparison. With the right method, holster, and clothing, one can conceal a bazooka--although I'm not sure about the extra ammo!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I too am looking for a new CCW. I'm looking for a thin single stack 9 or 40. Having just sold a kel-tec PF-9 with a disclaimer to the buyer, I'm looking at a new Walther PPS or perhaps a Kahr MK9 if I see them go on sale for $575 again. Biding my time for a deal.....
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

When all the re-searching, looking, trying, shooting, asking, and thinking is done- Its dang hard to beat a Glock. I love my G23 and G27. You wont have no problem concealing a double stack G19 or 26.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Actually, compare a Glock 19 to a 4" 1911 with full size grips and the Glock is thinner. The only 1911 that is thinner than a Glock 19 or 26 is wearing thin grip panels.
    That's undeniably true - except that the fattest part of either gun is the grip. The part of the gun that actually goes in the holster and presumably rides inside the waistband (in an IWB holster) is almost a quarter inch thinner on a 1911 than a Glack. My TRP measures 0.93" and my G23 is 1.15".
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Single stack so it's a bit thinner?
    Dependable?
    Proven?
    Available in .45?

Why if I didn't know better, I'd guess you were speaking about my Glock-36.
    When you go to the gun shop, pick one up...the best of all the Glocks.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    If you like the 1911 I think the EMP is almost perfect. The only recommendation I have for it is to loose the ambi safety and to have the front strap checkered. Now that adds to the cost but quite frankly, I think you end up with the absolutely ultimate small compact 9mm 1911. I'm with you regarding single versus double stack. It makes a big difference for the grip and for concealment. I have smaller hands so the grip is the big deal for me. I just can't afford the EMP so I've looked at other options. Kimber makes a nice 1911 in 9mm but I don't care for the over melted appearance.

Good luck on your search but I think the EMP will be hard to beat. The only other gun that feels better in my hand is my Kahr K9.

God Bless
    Gideon

My Ultra Carry II is much easier to carry IWB than my G19. The little bit of difference in thickness really makes a difference for me this is even more true if I'm trying to carry IWB with my shirt tucked. However with both of them loaded the G19 is 2 oz lighter.
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I have an EMP .9mm. I consider it my most beautiful gun. I also have a Glock-26 and a G-30SF. for when I feel the need to carry a proven performer.

I have a Kahr pm9 and an EMP in 9. I carry the EMP the most. (great shooter)The pm9 is smaller by quite a bit but you have that covered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links