Glock 23 Failure to feed on last round update

This is a discussion on Glock 23 Failure to feed on last round update within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Months ago I posted a thread regarding my Glock 23 FTF on the last round. I sent the firearm back to Glock. They replaced the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 23 Failure to feed on last round update

Months ago I posted a thread regarding my Glock 23 FTF on the last round. I sent the firearm back to Glock. They replaced the mags, the recoil spring, and the extractor. A few days ago I took it back to the range. I experienced the same problem. The only difference is that the FTF occurs when shooting one handed (almost exclusively when shooting weak handed). It happens sporadically, every 20-30 rounds. I've never had this issue with my other Glocks -9s, 40s, or 45. If this is a limpwrist issue, I would have expected it to occur randomly, not just on the last round of the mag. I am at a loss. Any thoughts or similar experiences? Thanks

Can you have someone else shoot the Glock to see if they can replicate the error?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarneyC View Post
    Months ago I posted a thread regarding my Glock 23 FTF on the last round. I sent the firearm back to Glock. They replaced the mags, the recoil spring, and the extractor. A few days ago I took it back to the range. I experienced the same problem. The only difference is that the FTF occurs when shooting one handed (almost exclusively when shooting weak handed). It happens sporadically, every 20-30 rounds. I've never had this issue with my other Glocks -9s, 40s, or 45. If this is a limpwrist issue, I would have expected it to occur randomly, not just on the last round of the mag. I am at a loss. Any thoughts or similar experiences? Thanks
    1. Does it happen when shooting 2-handed?
    2. "Almost exclusively" implies it happens more often with the weak hand but it does happen with both, right?

I haven't found my G30 to be particularly sensitive to how firm it's gripped. But that's a different caliber, different model. I did have one FTE when it was brand new (second mag fired) and I take full credit for that as I wasn't quite expecting it to fire (not used to the trigger and hadn't fired a semi in over 30 years). Other than that, the only issues have been with some reloads, but that's not Glock's fault.

The only G23 I'v fired is my son's, all 2-handed with no issues. Wish I had some advice, but other than seeing someone else has the same problem shooting your gun or borrowing another mag for confirmation, I don't know. You might try intentionally limp-wristing it to see if that will duplicate it more often.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I would almost bet this is a Gen 4 right ?
    If so you may need to buy an aftermarket recoil spring to solve this problem.

You may find this video helpfull
    http://www.youtube.com/user/limalife#p/u/3/mPnsIQYB6U8
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

It's actually a Gen 3, but I have heard of the issues they are having with Gen 4.

It does not happen when shooting two handed.

I purchased a Gen4 Glock22 40S&W back on Oct. 11, I have yet to have any issues with the gun. It is a surprisingly easy firearm to shoot and I am fully satisfied with it and I hope it stays that way.

How is it failing to feed? Short-cycling? If so, it's likely a combo of somewhat heavy recoil springs and insufficient grip resistance, VERY typical of Gen. 4s, which have a recoil spring arrangement that is a solution to a nonexistent problem. If it is an override jam, the opposite may be true, and a heavier mag spring may be needed. Without knowing which it is, it can't be diagnosed.

The last round goes nose up against the top of the chamber. This is a Gen 3 glock.

IMO.....one of two things here, and I'll be telling you honestly what I think, and I'm not going to tell you that you're limp wristing.
    Weak hand shooting is weak hand shooting. If we did it all the time, our weak hand would be just as good as the strong hand....but generally it's not. Our weak hand is a supplement or a back up. Therefore, muscles in the weak hand are not as strong as muscles in the strong hand, and are more easily fatigued. The feel of the grip is also somewhat foreign, and some may find themselves attempting a re-grip more with the weak hand during a string of fire than with the strong hand. I always try to duplicate what I do with my weak hand, with my strong hand, but sometimes 10-12 rounds down it just don't feel the same. That's why we specify strong hand/weak hand. If they were both equal, we'd have neither strong or weak...we'd be top guns.
    If Glock refurbished the recoil spring and the magazines for you....I'm wondering what they did with the magazines. Likely just gave you some brand new ones. They should work fine. Thing is, I'm wondering if a 10 coil spring in your G23 magazines will solve your issues. Do keep us up-to-date.

The fact that it doesn't happen when shooting 2 handed leads me to believe that it's a limp-wrist issue. At that point the variable that seems to play a part here is the 2nd hand being removed from the grip.
    Perhaps fatigue is also playing a part by the time you get through the 1st 12 rounds. I have the same gun and never any consistant issues with a FTF. The few i have had seemed to be related more to the ammo
    i was running through it than anything else.
    Have you tried loading just 5-6 rounds in a mag and seeing it it still jams on the final round?
    Maybe have someone else fire the weapon as well, to see if it continues to be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I The feel of the grip is also somewhat foreign, a.
    LOL man...when i grip my gun with my weak hand and supported by my strong hand, i always end up crossing my thumbs...i feel like a complete newbie. thats why we practice these things huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    LOL man...when i grip my gun with my weak hand and supported by my strong hand, i always end up crossing my thumbs...i feel like a complete newbie. that's why we practice these things huh?
    Practice is good. Weak hand practice is good. In all honesty.....I've never practiced weak hand shooting with strong hand support. It's one handed shooting for me. I figure if I ever need to transition to the weak hand, my strong hand won't be in the game, and same when shooting strong hand only. I merely assume that when I run across someone's description of shooting weak hand....that they are doing so single handed. I relate to that more since that's what I do, and what I envision in the description is based on that. I'm now reminded that this may not be the case all of the time. I learn things every day as well, or get reminded of those things I do know, but don't often include since I think of them less often. If that makes any sense. Learning is always good. I like to do it every day. Some days I don't even need to seek it out.....it just hits me. That's good....because there are those days when I don't feel up to par finding it on my own.

very true

Glock 23 FTF on last rouns resolved

After many hundreds of rounds and two trips to Glock Inc my G23 is finally working without the sporadic failures to feed on the last round. During the first trip to Glock, they replaced the recoil spring, the extractor, and the magazines. This did not fix the problem. Sent back a second time, and they replaced all mag springs with 10 coil ones. Got it back this week. Took the range and fired 200 rounds. Got 5 FTFs with the last round. The round was partially into the chamber and the slide was almost closed. I got very frustrated. Went home, cleaned and replaced the extractor with one I purchased as a spare about a year ago and also replaced the recoil spring assembly (although both the spring and the extractor had been replaced by Glock.

The problem disappeared! I put 300 rounds through it and not a hiccup! Tried shooting one handed both strong and weak - no problems.

QUESTION - the replacement extractor (looks exactly the same as the old one) but has 3 stamped on it. The one that Glock put in had 4 stamped on it. Does anyone have either of the 3 or 4 marking on their extractor? Similar experiences? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links