Got rid of the horns!

This is a discussion on Got rid of the horns! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally got a chance to get out and shoot the 709 slim after several weeks after my 709 came back from Miami. Sent it back ...

Thread: Got rid of the horns!

Got rid of the horns!

Finally got a chance to get out and shoot the 709 slim after several weeks after my 709 came back from Miami. Sent it back to have it repaired, since it was having severe FTE problems, and slide locking open with rounds in mag. SO, Taurus "fixed" it and sent it back, (only about 7 weeks later) and nothing had changed. Took every 709 owners advice on what I 'might' have been doing wrong, and nothing worked. I got a lemon, oh well. Took it up to the gunshow this weekend, and traded it in and got a brand new Ruger LCP, two tone with satin chrome slide. I can't wait to get out and shoot this one, and report back. If its anything like its big brother (the P95 in the nightstand) I'm gonna quickly be in love, and able to carry it as well. The 95 is just too big for me. :/

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    groundhog day!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Had a similar experience with the bullshop, took eight weeks to replace a broken ambidextrous safety.
    Last edited by msgt/ret; November 29th, 2010 at 10:14 AM.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Had a similar experience with the bullshop, took eight weeks top replace a broken ambidextrous safety.
    I sent back my TCP 380 for FTF problems Taurus paid the way back and forth by FedEx and the gun was returned to me a week later wit a new slide. Even though I am not a big fan of Taurus Products, I know that they have a lifetime guarantee policy and will replace the gun if it can't be repaired. Mine works fine now and it is a great little carry gun for certain situations. Sorry you had to trade it at a gun show when you could have gotten a new gun from them. //END//

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "I got a lemon, oh well. Took it up to the gunshow this weekend, and traded it in... "

Which is exactly the reason I'd never buy a firearm at a gun show I didn't: A. Expect to have problems; B. Intend to overhaul and refinish. Never cared for the "here today - gone tomorrow" dealers.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "I got a lemon, oh well. Took it up to the gunshow this weekend, and traded it in... "

Which is exactly the reason I'd never buy a firearm at a gun show I didn't: A. Expect to have problems; B. Intend to overhaul and refinish. Never cared for the "here today - gone tomorrow" dealers.
    +1

Also a great reason to buy new, quality handguns.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Gun I bought was brand new in box, but I do agree with your reasoning. Luckily the folks I bought/traded with run a gun shop locally as well. And they were told about the issues and were planning to have their smith look at it before selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pkupmn98 View Post
    Gun I bought was brand new in box, but I do agree with your reasoning. Luckily the folks I bought/traded with run a gun shop locally as well. And they were told about the issues and were planning to have their smith look at it before selling it.
    Well done.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    ...after my 709 came back from Miami...

...SO, Taurus "fixed" it and sent it back, (only about 7 weeks later) and nothing had changed...

...I got a lemon, oh well. Took it up to the gunshow this weekend, and traded it in and got a brand new Ruger LCP, two tone with satin chrome slide...
    Taurus "fixed" my 85UL and sent it back (after 9 weeks). I too took it to gun show, and traded it to a dealer (with the disclosure that it was back from factory repairs) for a (25-30 year old) Dan Wesson revolver that needed some cleaning up. I'm familiar with how to work on them. We were both happy and I think I got the better deal. The DW cleaned up great, smooth as silk and is a household favorite.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    For some reason I see "as is" stamped all over it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    For some reason I see "as is" stamped all over it.
    That's fine by me, no reason for me to hang onto a gun I'll never trust. I really wanted to love that gun too though. Everything else besides it not working was great. Loved the size weight and functionality if it, when it worked. I think after the new year I'll probably be in the market for a similar sized 9mm again though, wether or not I trade the P95 on it will be decided at that time if I like it as a double duty cc and HD pistol as well. If I find one that fills both roles reliably then I'll trade, if not I'll purchase new and keep P95 for HD and it's also a fun range gun! Suggestions on a new 9mm to buy myself next year?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    In my experience:

Taurus Designs = A+

Taurus Quality = C-
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Links