Need Help Finding a Carry Wheelgun

This is a discussion on Need Help Finding a Carry Wheelgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like the S&W 637 and Ruger SP-101....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Finding a Carry Wheelgun

I like the S&W 637 and Ruger SP-101.

2. Remove Ads

symr00!

Let me give you something else to think about. What follows is a pic of my S&W Mod 60 with a 3" barrel and a Clipdraw for wearing concealed. Conceptually the Clipdraw is in the same vein as the Barami. It allows you to effectively carry concealed without a holster. I have found the combination of the M60 and the Clipdraw to be very good.

GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Charter .44.
    Carried one for years as a police backup piece.
    Whichever choice you make (and yes, Taurus is an excellent choice, in whichever caliber!), practice often!

I carry a Ruger SP101-.357
    I don't think you can go wrong with one

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot
    Charter .44.
    Carried one for years as a police backup piece.
    Whichever choice you make (and yes, Taurus is an excellent choice, in whichever caliber!), practice often!
    I came really, really close to picking one up this weekend at the local gunshow. Always liked the gun and knew some people that carried them in the past. Just decided at the last minute to save my bucks for another project I'm working on.

For VTLO910 the recoil on a snubbie is a personal thing. Some people find them objectionable some don't. When I can't carry my Commander I carry a S&W 638 Airweight in +P .38. I don't find the recoil that objectionable and can handle the weapon without much muzzle flip. The .357 snubbies are still OK but more muzzle flip than I, personally, care for. Try finding a range that might rent you one or someone who might loan you one before you write them off.

Known several people with Taurus, S&W, Charter Arms snubbies and they all seemed happy with them. Just understand what it is and put in the time to master it if you go that route.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I'd be interested in finding a nice Taurus 431 snubby in the potent .44 special.
    That would be a find !

Thanks for the info Dairycreek. I'll take a look at the Clipdraw. That could widen my options. A 9mm snubby looks better and better now that I've heard so many complaints about .38 +P and .357 magnum loads having a heavy recoil. Plus ammo will be a bit cheaper. I plan to shoot this on a weekly basis so I want a shooter not something carried a lot and shot little.

With 9mm, keep in mind that moon clips tend to be flimsy and could be a point of failure. Also, the only "tactical reload" you'll be able to perform will be by ejecting the entire clip.

Definitely try the caliber/ammo in question before making a final decision wrt the recoil. I took my Taurus Ultralight 85 to the range last weekend and was pleasantly surprised at how tame the recoil felt (using the factory rubber grip stocks) even with +P rounds.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    The incidence of handgun defensive loads not resulting in threat stops is well documented in all handgun calibers....
    as well as one shot stops from .22's....
    I wouldn't worry about caliber as much and that being said my vote goes for the Smith 642 158 gr +p....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunmetal
    With 9mm, keep in mind that moon clips tend to be flimsy and could be a point of failure. Also, the only "tactical reload" you'll be able to perform will be by ejecting the entire clip.

Definitely try the caliber/ammo in question before making a final decision wrt the recoil. (SNIP)
    Excellent point about moon clips and reloading a 9mm snubbie....I understand that S&W's 9mm clips for their 940 Centennial were fairly study, as were the clips for the Ruger 9mm Speed Six and those made by Ranch Products. The Taurus "Stellar" clips are anything but....they are extremely flimsy I had to already chuck three (of the original five-pack that came with the gun) after 150 rounds. Thankfully, I purchased four extra packs; but those will be trashed eventually.

symr00, with respect to recoil, I think a 115 to 147 grain 9mm round out of my Taurus 905 is between a 125 grain .38 Special +P round (I haven't tried other +P rounds) and a 110 grain .357 Magnum round.

I totally agree with Gunmetal....try for yourself (if possible) before making a decision based on our experiences.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Had this discussion with a friend of mine last night and we determined that I must just be some kind of masochist at heart. I've got a 642 and I really don't have an issue shooting +P out of it. No, I won't put 200 rounds down range like I might with my Beretta 92, but I've gone through 50 regular and 50 158 grain +P at an outing. You definately know your shooting it, but it isn't like a 454 Cassull or anything.

Now I don't think you could pay me to shoot a .357 Magnum Airweight. Ok, to save my life I'd shoot it, but I'm quite sure I'd rarely if ever take it out and shoot it just for fun (and/or practice). Nope, I think somebody would have to be shooting at me to convince me to pull that trigger.

I've got an SP-101 (which my wife confiscated) which easily and comfortably shoots any .357 Magnum loads I've fed it, but I don't think I'd like anything lighter than that for such a hot round. Considered getting a DAO SP-101 instead of the 642, but the Ruger is a bit heavy for pocket carry. That is the only knock I have on the Ruger though as it is a dream to shoot.

For me, it is a balance between comfort and fire power. The 642 is sort of fun to shoot, and so dang easy to carry that I'm willing to take my chances behind 5 rounds of .38 Special. Need to find some of that Speer 135 grain +P made specifically for 2" barrels and give it a shot. Seems to be taking the snubby world by storm.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up buying a Ruger SP-101 DAO. After searching thread after thread, the Taurus' turned me off due to many folks having to send them to the factory for repairs. I understand they have a lifetime warranty but shipping a handgun is expensive and I don't want to take the chance of it having problems in a SD situation. Fortunately I couldn't find any posts about the SP101 with mechanical problems. The 642 I handled was tempting due to it's weight and I wish I could have shot one to see if the recoil was really that bad with the +p Speers. I won't buy a new S&W due to their lock and the used ones I found online were not much of a deal after shipping and transfer fees. I handled the SP-101 and taurus 650 locally and I actually thought the taurus felt heavier. It was a little more compact I guess because it was less beefy but that Ruger just felt good in my hand. I don't know why so many people think it is heavy. It is quite a bit lighter than my G19 was when loaded. I guess years of carrying a full-size 1911 has spoiled me. I plan to carry IWB in the "vasectomy" position. It disappears in that spot even without the clipdraw and I carry it there while at home. It also hides nicely in my pocket with only slight printing so I may try a pocket holster for it as well. 10 years ago when I started carrying concealed, I would have never dreamed of carrying a revolver. "They're too low-tech and don't carry a whole bunch of ammo. That's what old guys carry." I guess my age has either caught up with me or I have finally figured out what the older, wiser pistoleros have known for some time...the revolver is a solid reliable combat handgun. My only gripes is I wish my agency would let me carry it as a BUG and that more instructors taught defensive revolver courses.

Well, snubs take some of the heat off of an otherwise powerful caliber (.357 magnum), so definitely consider some of the 3" or 4" barrelled alternatives in revolvers. They'll be heavier, and a tad more difficult to conceal, but you'll get some of the stopping power back just by that one change. A <2" barrelled revolver can also be a handful to shoot, in practice, and that itself can reduce the effectiveness.

I've got a S&W 442 Airweight. That or one of its modern companions (ie 642) are wonderful for being: light, reasonably powerful, concealable, moderately controllable with hotter loads via the right grip (Pachmayr or Hogue rubber/finger). These will be small enough that pocket carry is simple.

As indicated above, many folks are partial to the Taurus models shown.

A friend had a Ruger SP101 and introduced me to it about 10yrs back. Hell of a gun. Heavier, and not s snubbie, but those two qualities helped make it controllable and able to swallow the hottest .357 magnum loads. Of the small .357's mentioned, this would be my choice for a capable magnum carry revolver, though heavy enough to demand an IWB/OWB mode of carry.

Depending on your mode of dress and desired carry method, you can even go larger. A step up in size and barrel length and frame size might be acceptable, so consider the S&W K-framed revolvers. You'll pick up some weight, barrel length and generally be 6-shot (or even 7-shot) instead of 5. These will tend to have more power with better ballistics, be more controllable.

Up to you. Small, light snubbies have their place when a larger, more-controllable wheelgun isn't possible. If it is, then there are a few better choices for carry, given considerations over power and controllability. But if a light snubbie is the ticket, then the mentioned guns should do well.

Plenty of .357 magnum stops have been logged. It's surely powerful enough, assuming it's in a gun you can control quickly/easily enough. A .38 +P load can be 30-40% less energy than an equivalent .357, which improves controllability but makes it less lethal. This is one reason why many opt for an auto 9mm or .40 cal. instead of a traditional revolver.

Of course, if you're concerned about stopping power in a wheelgun, you can always step up to a .480 Ruger or .454 Casull, in, say, the Ruber Super Redhawk Alaskan. That'll end the debate over stopping ability in a wheelgun.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 27th, 2006 at 03:13 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

For a load of information regarding snubbies, check out this site:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/OtherHandguns.htm

I have a Taurus 605 in titanium, .357 mag. It is small, light (16 0z), and packs quite a punch. It does have a hammer though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links