Problem with Pocket Carry - Page 2

Problem with Pocket Carry

This is a discussion on Problem with Pocket Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yep, use this... http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/5.htm...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with Pocket Carry

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry my secondary LCP in my left pocket in a #6 holster from Jim at www.hiddenholsters.net. I've never had the mag come loose.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    I pocket carry a 642 J Frame, and surprisingly, have never had that happen...
    I've never had an issue with my "J' Frame either but that spare magazine is a pain in the butt!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Try carring the magazine in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - If you can get the Seecamp to release the magazine in your pocket, there's a whole lot of pocket nonsense going on.
    Even with a heavy game of pocket pool the release on the Seecamp does not move.

Sounds like a holster problem. I've never experienced that with my LCP and I use an RKBA holster.

I too carry a PM9 in the pocket nearly all the time. I'm right handed, so the release is toward me, and that helps no doubt. I use a "Hidden Ally" from High Noon Holsters. The chances of you being more active than me are slim to none. I do advanced tree-surgeon work, commercial fishing, even the occasional street-clothed martial arts training, all armed all the time, and have never had the PM9 release. If you're left handed, it could be an external "bump," but if you're right handed something is wrong. Could be tension on the release, or a flaw in the holster design. Could also be carrying other things in your pocket. But it really should be mighty close to physically impossible to release that mag when the gun is carried properly. Sorry you're having that trouble!

The only weapon I've had that problem with is my two M&P's. One was an older one, and they had problems with wear on the release; but that problem has been solved by S&W. The other problem was "any" M&P in a Crossbreed Supertuck, but that was the holster's fault, and there are a couple of easy fixes. A good "caution" for practicing a lot with your gear "before" you leave the house!

Best of luck with it!

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Powhs View Post
    I wish they made pocket pistols with European magazine release.
    Rohrbaugh R9 does.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

I have had the same problem sometimes carrying a P32. I am a lefty and I think that makes the problem worse! I always know that I have bumped into or brushed by an object and caused this to happen. Unless the holster is stiff and covers the eject button I have to be careful if I lean into or push against something on the left side. I check the pistol occasionally to be sure the magazine is in place. I carry the pistol in a Uncle Mike's #1, which does not cover the eject button.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

- - - - - Large Snip - - - - - I wish they made pocket pistols with European magazine release. - - - Snip - - -
    Two of the finest and smallest pocket pistols produced in the US have European mag releases. The Seecamp LWS.380 (much smaller than the LCP) and the Rohrbaugh R9 9mm (same size as the LCP.)

These are both superbly crafted, high quality little masterpieces and, while I'm fortunate to own them both, my EDC is an LCP. (In a Nemesis, strong side, front pocket.)

I've never had an issue with the mag coming loose but if I did I would certainly change whatever element in the equation that needs changing, including the pistol, until the problem was 100% solved. Obviously I'd start with the holster first. Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    I carry in the left pocket so the mag button is pointed two the front. I had tried several holsters. My Kydex holsters cover the button. I must be bumping them. I have been looking for a s&w 637 with a 2.5 inch barrel.
    I carry my PM9 in my right pocket, and have never experienced any issue.

You could consider a Walther PPS as a replacement, as it does have a European style magazine release, and would thus never have this issue. With its 6 shot magazine inserted, it is just as short height-wise as the PM9. And it is actually very slightly thinner than the PM9 as well.

Only drawback is that it is longer than a PM9. However, a Walther PPS is not any longer than a S&W 637, and is a heck of a lot thinner than that revolver. Definitely would not print anywhere near as much in your pants. And you would have 7 rounds of 9mm available, compared to only 5 rounds of .38 Special.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    Rohrbaugh R9 does.
    I believe that he is referring to the magazine release type that is used by HK and Walther, and not the old fashioned end of grip release that the Rohrbaugh has.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I carry a S&W 442 and the magazine has never been released...
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

[QUOTE=RKirk;1817572]I have had the same problem sometimes carrying a P32. I am a lefty and I think that makes the problem worse! I always know that I have bumped into or brushed by an object and caused this to happen. Unless the holster is stiff and covers the eject button I have to be careful if I lean into or push against something on the left side. I check the pistol occasionally to be sure the magazine is in place. I carry the pistol in a Uncle Mike's #1, which does not cover the eject button.[QUOTE]

I use this exact setup and have the same issue. It has happened probably 10 times in the last year and a half. I regularly check it to make sure the mag is in, seems to always bump a counter or a door..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links