Tell me about the H&K USP in 9mm

This is a discussion on Tell me about the H&K USP in 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I bought a brand new HK USP 9mm when they first came out---early 1994---this pistol has NEVER failed to feed, fire or eject for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the H&K USP in 9mm

jyo
    Well, I bought a brand new HK USP 9mm when they first came out---early 1994---this pistol has NEVER failed to feed, fire or eject for the last 16 years! It is very accurate, feels good in the hand and holds 15 rds 9mm---I bought another one just so I could use my stash of pre-ban mags (I am in Kalifornia---no more hi-caps) in two pistols---it now sits hidden bedside while the older pistol is in my "Bug-out bag"---two guns, same mags and HK lights attached. I also bought an HK USPc in 9mm and a P2000 9mm (same mags between them)---same boring story, they also run 100%. For the wife I would suggest the smaller Compact or P2000---good luck with your choices.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HiFreq47 View Post
    The permit she applied for is a permit to own (which we need here in NY). The same permit allows her to carry, to a degree (don't want to get into that in this thread), but really this would be a range/home-defense weapon for her that she may, if absolutely necessary, carry occasionally.

And yes, she likes the full-size, not the compact.
    The USP's grip is awfully big. Has she handled a P30? That would be the gun to get into her hands, if she wants good ergonomics.

One can really fine tune the grip on it:

Although the Walther P99 AS is another viable option too.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Yikes! It took me one month to get everything together, Had to wait 2 months for appt, then 3 months to get permit. I assume your wife is putting one of your handguns on her permit to start? I think having one ready to go helps speed things up so you don't have to get approved and then wait again to get the handgun approved, I had one purchased before I had my appt.
    I didn't have to wait for an appointment 4 years ago .... you just went in to the clerk's office whenever you had everything together. I think I called day-of, but don't remember having to make a specific appointment. Back then though, your character references needed to be from Westchester county (the county I was applying in) which was not easy because I had literally just moved here and didn't know anyone here - that's why it took me two months to get all the paperwork together. Yes, my wife is putting both of my weapons down on her permit.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    The USP's grip is awfully big. Has she handled a P30? That would be the gun to get into her hands, if she wants good ergonomics.

One can really fine tune the grip on it:

Although the Walther P99 AS is another viable option too.

Agreed, and personally, I think that P30 is one of the best looking non-1911s on the market right now ... but in her words, "Yes, I want a manual safety. I will not handle a gun without one."
    Billy

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Agreed, and personally, I think that P30 is one of the best looking non-1911s on the market right now ... but in her words, "Yes, I want a manual safety. I will not handle a gun without one."
    HK accomodates your wife's wish in the form of the P30S, which has a manual safety. Look here;
    http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/p30_general.asp

I shot one of these, (my daughter in law's gun in fact), just two days ago, It is an outstanding pistol. Very easy to shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    HK accomodates your wife's wish in the form of the P30S, which has a manual safety. Look here;

I shot one of these, (my daughter in law's gun in fact), just two days ago, It is an outstanding pistol. Very easy to shoot well.
    You suck. Got my hopes up all high and all and then I find out that it's only available in .40S&W. Wife really wants a 9-milly.
    Billy

I currently own an Hk P2000. But, I've previously owned a HK USP 9mm, HK USPc 9mm, HK USPc45, HK45 and HK45c (so, six HKs total). Hks are quality guns.

The P2000 is my fav HK, personally.

But, the ONLY complaint I've had about HKs pertains to the fullsize 9mm model. I do not like that they use polymer mags, yet the other HKs come with metal mags.

One time, while shooting my 9mm USP, I had two rounds get lodged in the mag - side by side. It prevented the follower from moving up, and basically locked up the entire magazine. I had to take the magazine base off and remove the spring. Then, I had to get a cleaning rod and hammer out the 2 unfired rounds to clear the mag. They were really stuck in there side by side.

I did contact HK and they replaced the magazine after I sent it in. But, I have NEVER had that happen in a magazine for any other gun I've ever owned. It never happened again with that gun. But, that bothered me - a lot. I've been tempted to buy the fullsize USP in 9mm again a few times, but I've always decided against it after that experience. If it happened in a defense situation, you'd be screwed. I think this would be less likely to happen with metal mags - there must have been some flex in the mag body with the polymer walls to have allowed this to happen.

But, as I've stated before, after owning 6 HK's in total over the years, the other 5 have NEVER had an issue. And, that 1 issue mentioned above was the ONLY issue the gun ever had.

I have a P2000 in 9mm with factory night sights, currently. And, I think it's my fav HK out of all the ones I've ever owned.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The P30s in 9mm is available, but it is in very high demand. Even the .40 is hard to come by.

Well, the other choice she could then consider is the Beretta PX4 Storm. It has a big grip like the HK USP, and also has a manual safety.

Very soft shooting and accurate pistol. Beretta makes slightly extended mags for it that increase the ammo capacity of the gun to 20 + 1

Here is a photo of my PX4 Storm, with one of these extended mags in it:

My PX4 Storm has a much better DA trigger pull than my HK USP. Both guns have a great SA trigger pull.

I currently have 3 H&Ks and they are all accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot. I alternately carry either the P2000 or P2000sk. The P2000sk is the easiest to carry but not by much. As to ergonomics, the most comfortable guns I have ever held are the P2000, Kimber 4", and Walther P99 all just felt great in hand. If looking into Walther DO NOT be convinced that the S&W P99 is the same gun.

I have probably put 4,000 rounds through my full size 9mm USP with LEM trigger over the past five years and can only recall a couple of stovepipes in the first couple of hundred rounds and none since then. However, the gun is too big for my wife's hands and frankly a bit too large for mine as well. You can't beat H&K reliability and they are the most configurable handguns around with nine interchangeable trigger/safety/decocker variations. I would suggest you have your wife handle both the full size USP and the P30 to see which she finds more comfortable. I got my USP before the S&W M&P's came out. I now prefer the S&W M&P 9mm to the HK because it fits both my wife's and my hands better, has in my opinion a better trigger than the LEM, better sights and can accommodate a Crimson Trace laser (which I like on my carry and house guns)

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    If looking into Walther DO NOT be convinced that the S&W P99 is the same gun.
    Kahr Arms is now selling a Walther P99 clone too. However, it does not look very impressive:

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Kahr Arms is now selling a Walther P99 clone too. However, it does not look very impressive:

Oh my God, that is one ugly looking Walther P99 clone!!!!! What the hell was Kahr thinking?
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I have a full size USP9sd. it is a large gun with a grip that is too big for my likes. I have small hands. The P30s others recomended would be a great choice. It has 3 sizes of side and back straps to adjust it to your hand size and grip. I am on the waiting list for one. The first run that was shipped from Germany to HK USA sold out in a few days. Another run is hopefully on the way. The P30s long slide is currently available. I would go with it for a range gun for the longer sight radius, but I intend to carry, so I will wait for the next run of the standard size.

You suck. Got my hopes up all high and all and then I find out that it's only available in .40S&W. Wife really wants a 9-milly.
    Right from the HK Website: "P30S model has an ambidextrous safety lever mounted on both sides of the frame. Available in 9 mm and .40 S&W."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links