Tell me about the H&K USP in 9mm

This is a discussion on Tell me about the H&K USP in 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So the wife is finally finished with her Westchester County, NY pistol permit application and has an appointment tomorrow to submit it. She recently completed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the H&K USP in 9mm

Tell me about the H&K USP in 9mm

So the wife is finally finished with her Westchester County, NY pistol permit application and has an appointment tomorrow to submit it. She recently completed her NRA basic pistol course and her instructor was a nice guy who had an assortment of firearms for her to check out.

Here I was thinking she'd be into something like a Walter PPK or Kahr - even considered getting her a NightHawk Ladyhawk or similar ... you know, something small ... and she can't stop raving about the sex-appeal of the H&K USP of all guns. Not that I'm not fond of the USP, I think H&K makes a great firearm ... but that was one of the LAST firearms I thought she'd find "sexy". The thing is downright massive, and this comes from a guy who's newly-purchased XXL gloves turned out to be too small for his hands.

Anyway, she's doesn't like my thunder-makers, and wants something with a low report - 9mm seems to be the ticket here. Anyone have any good/bad/otherwise opinions experiences with the USP in nine-milly?
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

2. Remove Ads

I borrowed a HK USP in 9mm from a buddy. My girlfriend shot it, and it kept failing to eject for her, but not for me. I think she was limp wristing it, but she doesn't have any problems with my XD. I personally didn't like it either.

Quote Originally Posted by HiFreq47 View Post

Not that I'm not fond of the USP, I think H&K makes a great firearm ... but that was one of the LAST firearms I thought she'd find "sexy". The thing is downright massive, and this comes from a guy who's newly-purchased XXL gloves turned out to be too small for his hands.

Anyway, she's doesn't like my thunder-makers, and wants something with a low report - 9mm seems to be the ticket here. Anyone have any good/bad/otherwise opinions experiences with the USP in nine-milly?
    I've got an H&K USP compact and it is a superb pistol. My wife also likes to fire it at the range and I often use it as my concealed carry weapon.

Compact or standard version?

Your posting mentioned USP without the use of the word "compact", so I presume you are talking about the standard size USP 9mm. I have one USP in each size, a standard in .45 and a compact in .40.

I have shot each one quite a bit over the last 5 years, and have a few observations:

1. USPs are quite accurate and extremely reliable and durable guns.
    2. The full size version is a large gun - if you want to carry it the compact size is better.
    3. Both the full size and the compact look bigger than they really are - it is something about the design of the slide that makes it look rather massive. If you measure it with calipers and ruler it is about the same as the corresponding Glock. The weight is also similar to the corresponding Glock.
    4. USPs give you lots of options on controls, with decocker, safety, double action only, DA/SA, cocked and locked, etc.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Moderator
    I have the full size USP and have never had the first problem with it. It is one of my favorite guns. Although I like simple triggers, e.g. P250 and Glock type DAO or XD and M&P SAO triggers, I like the USP DA/SA configuration.

No wonder you like it:
    You can carry it cocked and locked and it has a superb SA trigger, the DA is not the best, but...You can carry it hammer down with the safety either on or off. You can rack the slide, press check, load or unload the gun with the safety on. It has a lighter felt recoil than any 9mm I have ever shot. The recoil spring feels lighter than any other 9mm I have ever felt, which makes it easier to rack the slide. So easy in fact, that I can engage the safety, and with my right hand only, flip the gun a bit, and I can rack the slide in my hand to the point I can charge the chamber from the magazine. I need to do a video of that.

And, the USP is light, it doesn't look it but as I recall it weighs two oz more than a G17 and a G17 is one of the lightest full size guns out there.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I've had an HK USP Compact 9 before. I didn't keep it long. Lot of FTE's on my copy also. Kahr, Glock, Springfield XD, these are all good.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I can't say anything bad about the HK line up. The USP9 is also one of my favorite range guns, but I wouldn't consider it as a CCW.

My KH dated USPc9 was my first HK. The compact I would at least consider for carry purposes, although it too is fairly large when compared to some others. My USP compact has been fired by many folks at the range, resulting in some buying their own. It's a great gun.

The almost ideal carry is, IMHO, the P2000sk. It has all of the qualities you want but in a concealable package. It is also good to go as an all day range gun. She may like the adjustable grip too.

I applaud your wife's good taste in guns, but wonder if she's figured out how challenging it would be to conceal a duty sized weapon.

Here's a size comparison picture.

The permit she applied for is a permit to own (which we need here in NY). The same permit allows her to carry, to a degree (don't want to get into that in this thread), but really this would be a range/home-defense weapon for her that she may, if absolutely necessary, carry occasionally.

And yes, she likes the full-size, not the compact.
    Billy

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Your posting mentioned USP without the use of the word "compact", so I presume you are talking about the standard size USP 9mm. I have one USP in each size, a standard in .45 and a compact in .40.

I have shot each one quite a bit over the last 5 years, and have a few observations:

1. USPs are quite accurate and extremely reliable and durable guns.
    2. The full size version is a large gun - if you want to carry it the compact size is better.
    3. Both the full size and the compact look bigger than they really are - it is something about the design of the slide that makes it look rather massive. If you measure it with calipers and ruler it is about the same as the corresponding Glock. The weight is also similar to the corresponding Glock.
    4. USPs give you lots of options on controls, with decocker, safety, double action only, DA/SA, cocked and locked, etc.

Thanks for the response - lots of good info here.

Yeah, it's funny on the size thing. I always thought the slide on the USP looked MASSIVE to me. What's interesting is that my wife thought it felt good in her hands - this is weird because she thinks my Glocks were way too big for her hands. So I guess the difference here is the size of the grip ... the larger grip on the Glocks makes the slides look smaller and the smaller grip on the USP makes the slide look like it was melonited in a bath of Miracle-Grow.
    Billy

Senior Moderator
    I'm going from memory here, but I believe I'm remembering this right. The USPf is just about the same size as a Glock gen3 G17. I know it looks bigger, but I don't believe it is by much if it is.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member
    Congrats on your wife submitting her app. Earlier this year it was 3 months from the date of submission to actually receiving it.

Ooh, we can only hope it takes only 3 months. 4 years ago when I submitted mine it took 13 months, not counting the two months it took me to put together all the paperwork, notorized character references, and other crap they needed me to submit.
    Billy

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HiFreq47 View Post
    Ooh, we can only hope it takes only 3 months. 4 years ago when I submitted mine it took 13 months, not counting the two months it took me to put together all the paperwork, notorized character references, and other crap they needed me to submit.
    Yikes! It took me one month to get everything together, Had to wait 2 months for appt, then 3 months to get permit. I assume your wife is putting one of your handguns on her permit to start? I think having one ready to go helps speed things up so you don't have to get approved and then wait again to get the handgun approved, I had one purchased before I had my appt.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I have an HK USP Compact in .40 S&W and it has been nothing but extraordinary! I highly recommend the HK USP Compact in 9mm (13 rounds), but perhaps the HK P2000SK 9mm (10 rounds) would be better for her. It is smaller than the USP Compact, it has interchangeable back straps and a better grip. If she liked HK, she will probably also like Walther so have her take a look as well at the Walther P99AS Compact 9mm (10 rounds) and the Walther PPS 9mm (7 rounds). I think they are the sexiest guns ever and super reliable!!

Heckler & Koch USP Compact .40 S&W (12 rounds)

Walther P99AS 9mm (15 rounds)
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I can't say anything bad about the HK line up. The USP9 is also one of my favorite range guns, but I wouldn't consider it as a CCW.

My KH dated USPc9 was my first HK. The compact I would at least consider for carry purposes, although it too is fairly large when compared to some others. My USP compact has been fired by many folks at the range, resulting in some buying their own. It's a great gun.

The almost ideal carry is, IMHO, the P2000sk. It has all of the qualities you want but in a concealable package. It is also good to go as an all day range gun. She may like the adjustable grip too.

I applaud your wife's good taste in guns, but wonder if she's figured out how challenging it would be to conceal a duty sized weapon.

Here's a size comparison picture.
    Now that is a very nice German family right there!!! I have that HK P2000SK in .40 S&W on my "to buy list" for 2011. I am currently in Heidelberg, Germany and all the officers of the Bundespolizei in this region (Baden-Württemberg) carry the HK P2000SK in 9mm. The officers of the Bundespolizei in Bavaria carry the HK P7 9mm and the officers of North-Rhine Westphalia, Hamburg, Bremen and Schleswig-Hosltein all carry the Walther P99QA in 9mm. NIIIIIIIIIICCCCCEEEEE! I also took a recent trip to Austria and all of Austria's Bundespolizei carry Glock 17's.

I also saw in the Houston Airport that US Homeland Security officers also carry Heckler & Koch's. Officers are able to choose from an HK USP Compact, HK P2000 or HK P2000/SK in 9mm, .40 S&W or .357 Sig and they are made with the LEM trigger system.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links