Defend the Defender

This is a discussion on Defend the Defender within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know there are several Colt Defender fans around here......and I need some help diagnosing a couple issues I recently had with a rented Defender. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defend the Defender

Defend the Defender

I know there are several Colt Defender fans around here......and I need some help diagnosing a couple issues I recently had with a rented Defender.

1.) failure to feed - fully loaded magazine, slide locked back. I used the sling shot method to release the slide.....8 out of 10 times the round would hang half way into the chamber and I would have to manually rack the slide (ejecting unfired round) until it decided to go into battery....what do you think caused this? (I also tried using the slide stop lever with same results. (didnt really have any feed issues once I got passed the first round-seemed odd to me)

2.) I'm now sporting a fancy new laceration on my forehead from the ejected brass...that thing put about 10 of them right into the center of my dome.....I dont think of myself as a limp wrister..so I wonder if it is possible this is the result of anything else?

Anything you can say to address these two concerns would be great.....If I had a better experience at the range I would have bought one on the way out of there.

Note - The gun was pretty dirty right of the shelf and when I asked the range officer about it. He checked it out and said...."Uh, these guns get shot ALOT, soooo......" and then he just stared at me. At least I think he was staring at me, could have been the wall

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I see you are in Allen, where you renting this Defender at The Bullet Trap?
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

Yes sir. The bullet trap

I don't know how many Defenders they have to rent out, but I rented one there that kept bouncing brass off the brim of my cap. Didn't jam on me though...it probably just needs a really good cleaning.
    NRA Member

~Winston Churchill

These are common symptoms of an improperly adjusted or bent extractor. But, being a range rental, I doubt anyone ever drops the slide onto a round already in the chamber! (without loading through the magazine)

Add in the dirty gun factor, and could be possible.

Defenders usually run very well, and should knock the empties off to the right about 3-4 feet.

Thats encouraging. Thanks for the input. Now I just need to wait until the new Cabellas opens up (its about 5 minutes from my house) - maybe they will have a grand opening sale......?

I live in Frisco, I didn't know they were opening a Cabellas over here! Cool.
    NRA Member

~Winston Churchill

Yeah its at 75 & Stacy in Allen..

Very exciting!

Problem #1 - Probably not cleaned and oiled.

Problem #2 - You were not wearing a hat.

As to getting headshots from the brass, I have had exactly the same problem. In fact, after one range event, there were literally four or five cuts on my forehead, some of which were able to draw blood, from ejected brass. I talked to the range gunsmith, who said this was actually a known problem. I talked to Colt's Customer Service who said, very courteously I might add, to send the gun into them and they would look at it. My initial solution was to give it to the gunsmith, who adjusted the ejection angle by a slight filing of the extractor. I will see how well that works. I might add, despite this minor issue, I am extremely pleased with the Defender, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a 3 inch 45. And no, the recoil isn't at all bad,and yes, i very much like the Hogue grips that came with the weapon.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

A quick PS. I clean the weapon after every shoot, and I was not wearing a hat. Me bad on the second point.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Thanks everyone for the info, I feel much better about all of this.
    I'm going to go ahead and get one. If for no other reason than, I really want a set of Sarges Burle Wood grips!!

Maybe I can get the guy behind the counter to give me a free hat.......

Colt seems to have the shorties down to a better science. Some people find the shorties give more trouble. What I think that it IS...is that they are MORE sensitive to things being tuned perfectly. I'm having some extractor issues with my project now, but I think/hope I can get it tuned to where it really works. I think I'm really really close.

I really like the Defenders, and I hope you are happy with it!

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    The Defender is notorious for the "forehead whacking" problem. I had one until I recently traded it and it did this quite often. As for feeding, mine had a low tolerance for JHP's, but it fed FMJ pretty well.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

The nice thing about most 1911's is that a competent gunsmith can fix just about any hiccups and make them run like a dream. But before I would think there's a problem with the gun, you have to consider the fact that it's a rental. Devilsclaw makes a very good point about the extractor, and again, being a rental gun, that could be how the extractor got damaged if that's the problem.

I've never shot a Defender, however I haven't heard anything bad about them. I have an Officers model which has a 3.5 inch barrel instead of a 3 inch like the Defender, and in close to 10,000 rounds I've only needed to replace the recoil springs.

I've heard some people have had issues on the Officers model with the little retention lug on the recoil spring plug snapping off. I've never had a problem with mine but after about 8,000 rounds I went ahead and replaced the plug and got a new barrel bushing anyway just in case when I bought a new Wolff recoil spring from Brownells.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links