My rant!!! - Page 2

My rant!!!

This is a discussion on My rant!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by C hawk Glock To me firearms are a bit like wine. I don't drink wine under about 10 bucks a bottle, and ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My rant!!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    To me firearms are a bit like wine. I don't drink wine under about 10 bucks a bottle, and I don't buy new guns under 500.00. Those are the cut off points in which value and reliability tend to drop off or headaches occur.
    Based on your dollar limit and reasoning... my G26, 642, SP101, LCP and Rem 870 are all inferior weapons...

There are many fine firearms under $500...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    So really all these people that say "never go unarmed" don't really mean it...they really mean "go unarmed until you can afford something that the rest of us feel is worthy". So in that case, no gun is better then an inexpensive gun. I guess those that can't afford a S&W better hope they don't run into a bad guy until they save up some cash. This discussion makes me think that a whole lot of people on this forum don't really believe they "need" to carry, they actually just "want" to carry....so waiting to buy a more expensive weapon is not that big a deal to them.
    If we are talking about someone so poor that they can't save up for a decent dependable firearm, then that is the least of their concerns. I think food and shelter would come first over a firearm. That is what you call the hierarchy of needs, sir.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

So really all these people that say "never go unarmed" don't really mean it...they really mean "go unarmed until you can afford something that the rest of us feel is worthy". So in that case, no gun is better then an inexpensive gun. I guess those that can't afford a S&W better hope they don't run into a bad guy until they save up some cash. This discussion makes me think that a whole lot of people on this forum don't really believe they "need" to carry, they actually just "want" to carry....so waiting to buy a more expensive weapon is not that big a deal to them.
    I can't carry guns on base, or in the state I am based in, this does not mean I am unarmed. If a person's only defensive tool is a pistol, then they don't take their personal defense very seriously. Honestly, I'd rather have my Spyderco Endura than some of the lower end handguns out there, at least I know I can rely on it. Going along with that, training would also be necessary, but then again, real training is also a necessity for being able to effectively employ a firearm in a defensive manner. And I don't think it is fair to question the individual motives as to why people carry. For the most part, folks on here take it seriously, so want to or need to doesn't really matter.

If money is an option, there are several good firearms under $300, some of which I listed above. Also police trade in can be a great value, if you look around for them. But I have a hard time suggesting to anyone a hi-point, or a jennings/bryco, or a cobra derringer, as a legitimate defensive tool.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    To me firearms are a bit like wine. I don't drink wine under about 10 bucks a bottle, and I don't buy new guns under 500.00. Those are the cut off points in which value and reliability tend to drop off or headaches occur. Sorry you can rant all you want, I will never suggest a Taurus or Highpoint. Save cans, do something for a little extra dough to get something reliable.
    While I think that there IS some decent wine under $10, and some great firearms under $500, I completely agree with your point.
    I would continue to recommend to anyone that they NOT BUY the 'cheap trash/garbage firearms' because they are a couple of C-notes cheaper.
    Which is worse, being without a firearm for a few more months, or being in a SD situation where the POS firearm (you saved money on) doesn't work?

If and when an individual begins to really focus on finally buying that first weapon, I would rather that they go a bit longer WITHOUT, than buying some saturday night special .25...OMOYMV, but I do highly respect other opinions.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    There are some gun snobs here, but they're not the majority... I can think of several firearms that can be had for $300 or less, Bersa's have a great reputation for reliability, along with the Ruger LCP... If we're not limiting this discussion to handguns, a Mossberg 500, 12 ga. is a great home defense gun. Around here you can even get a Marlin 336, in 30-30 at that price point. It's another good home defense alternative...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    While I think that there IS some decent wine under $10, and some great firearms under $500, I completely agree with your point.
    I would continue to recommend to anyone that they NOT BUY the 'cheap trash/garbage firearms' because they are a couple of C-notes cheaper.
    Which is worse, being without a firearm for a few more months, or being in a SD situation where the POS firearm (you saved money on) doesn't work?

If and when an individual begins to really focus on finally buying that first weapon, I would rather that they go a bit longer WITHOUT, than buying some saturday night special .25...OMOYMV, but I do highly respect other opinions.
    Let me clarify, my ten buck wine limit is because of sulfites as I tend to just get more headaches from cheaper wines. My limit is not price, don't get me wrong though I like good wine.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post

I do like reading a thread and waiting to see how long it takes for someone to recommend a Glock 19.
    Hmmmmmmm? Why do you think that is? Maybe because so many people have come to realize that it is one of the simplest, dependable, easy to shoot handguns that is relatively inexpensive. Jackpot.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Very well said thanks for the reply.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I agree with you, OP, and it is somewhat annoying (and perhaps egotistic) that so many feel only a $1000-2000 top-of-the-line 1911 is worthy of providing self-protection. Great guns in their own rights, but hardly a requirement for personal defense. There are many handguns I'd like to have, but I cannot justify the expense or need when my $500 G30 will do the same thing.

Should anyone ever recommend a $150 piece of junk Sat. night special for SD? Not really. But many types of handguns (revolvers and pistols) in many calibers are available for under $500. I picked up a S&W 4566 in great shape for under $400. As far as operation, I like it better than my Glock. There are other "police trade-ins" to be had for even less, most of which are in fine condition.

We'd all like to drive the Rolls, but it's the Chevy that gets up to work to pay for the Rolls.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

OP, while I agree with the spirit of your intent, I have to say, that if you are truly concerned for your safety, you can afford a quality used gun. If you are that broke that the difference in a 150.00 dollar gun and a 300.00 gun is that big, than you have nothing no one wants to steal anyway. You can do without soft drinks, smokes, alcohol, or come up with alot of ways to overcome this. I would never as a matter of good judement and conviction, recommend a low quality product used to protect life and limb.

As another point to consider, if a 150 dollars makes that much difference in have or have not a quality firearm, how do you expect to have the money for adequate practice?

VIP Member
    ^ Gman10 makes a good point. I wish I had the feedback from the good folks on this board prior to making some purchase decisions.

Holsters for example... . 'Let's just say that I was in the slow-learners group .

I like being challenged. It makes me think and grow as a person.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Based on your dollar limit and reasoning... my G26, 642, SP101, LCP and Rem 870 are all inferior weapons...

There are many fine firearms under $500...
    Well lets look at what I said and let me respond. First I said "new" and that starts to put some of those listed models in the ball game. My intent was to hot have shotguns in the conversation as well. This tends to be s sticky subject as it turns into the "haves and have nots". Just because one person is on either side of the spectrum does not mean the other side should give them grief over their opinions. I personally think that 500.00 give or take a little, is about a good number for a new CC firearm. It gets in into Glock, Ruger, XD's, M&P's and some revolvers. Your comment acts as if I am saying 1000.00. As far as those models you listed, I think they are all good firearms. I personally feel the LCP looks and feels cheap though, just my two cents as it seems to be reliable and others love it.

If we are going to start a rant, I love the guy who does not have a pot to piss in and still carries that 2,000 dollar 1911. There are a ton of them out there and I am sure they are reading this thread right now. I just recently sold one of my 1911's to a guy who pulled up in a truck that was worth less then the firearm! My point in this response is that it swings both ways with regards to what people tend to spend and carry. It's relative, as money amounts mean more or less depending on your income.

If I only had $300, I would buy a Kel-Tec PF9. Which you can frequently find NIB for $250 or less on gunbroker.

I have a friend who easily has 20+ handguns and could choose any gun that exists for CC and his choice is the PF9. Mainly chosen because it's one of the smallest/lightest 9mm, but at the same time it has proven to be flawless for him after tons of rounds fired.

I know a lot of people knock the gun, but I thinks it's because earlier version problems and seems like they now have the bugs worked out. I'm thinking about buying one just out of curiosity of what you get for $250.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Buckeye, i agree with you on the Sigmas except for the Sigma 380, that pistol was a piece of junk, a jamomatic, a death trap, whatever else u can say but i would never ever in a million years reccomend that pistol to someone, so i traded it in on a 1911 :)
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If you are that broke that the difference in a 150.00 dollar gun and a 300.00 gun is that big, than you have nothing no one wants to steal anyway.
    Not every crime has to do with theft, ie. rape.

Let's not forget that in many confrontations a firearm is needed simply to balance out significant differences in physical ability. Telling a woman in her mid 50's to make due with a pocket knife until she can afford a nicer gun doesn't make much sense.

I've been frustrated by this too lately. I have a family member who at the moment can't afford to buy a pistol for herself, but she did inherit a pair of .22 revolvers. I posted a question on another forum asking only for load suggestions and even though I made clear I was aware .22 was not ideal but was all she has, it turned into a caliber war

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links