My rant!!!

This is a discussion on My rant!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hear ya OP. 100% of my firearm choices are looked down\frowned upon by some on the forum/s. I don't feel under gunned or degraded ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My rant!!!

I hear ya OP.

100% of my firearm choices are looked down\frowned upon by some on the forum/s. I don't feel under gunned or degraded with any of them. I'm proud to own them, dispite the "look down the nose" comments by some. I'm happy. All my guns work.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post

We have had a few post in the past little while that asked for help.
    Basically the posters asked: "If I had this much money and had a choice between x or x which would you choose?"
    Most of the responses are: "Neither, I would save my money to get x."

Jeff
    You make a very good point and it's generated some great discussion in this thread.

I'll admit that I've been guilty of suggesting that some posters try to save a bit more for a better firearm.

But when they have, say, 80% of the funds to buy a reliable handgun, it's tough to recommend that they possibly waste it on something inferior when they are so close to owning a decent sidearm.
    Last edited by Coltman 77; December 3rd, 2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

My little rock island cost me less than $400...Imagine my surprise when I was told on a forum it wasnt worth it and cheap. it goes bang every time. i guess i shouldnt have bothered with it and just bought a knife <insert rolling eyes here>. i am currently looking to purchase a ruger .357 LCR. i guess I am just a glutton for punishment and will keep both weapons hidden when my friends come over...lol!
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Firewall, with all due respect, I am one who fully understands the many different types of criminal activities that happen against people, that was just an example of a common crime. People will always make their own choices, even after seeking and recieving advise to the contrary.

But why seek advice, if it's disregarded? And expect various input whether you agree or not when you put it out there.
    If the difference in a low quality, or less than desirable and recommended firearm and a quality used one is only a hundred bucks or so makes that much difference to someone, than that's the price of value THAT person assigns their OWN life.

If someone says they could only afford x firearm, I'm not going to knock their choice. But if you ask for my input, I'll tell you.

kpw
    Just me personally, but I'd rather spend a similar amount on a good quality, used firearm than a new one of questionable quality. There are some very nice used guns that come up fairly frequently that come in well under $500.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I agree with Glockman here. I'm not going to knock someone for buying what they buy. But when they come on the forum and ask for opinions and say they only have $300 to spend... $300 can get a decent used gun of better quality than some of the new ones that the OP is considering. I don't consider an LCP junk. I have one and have no problem with it. They can be had for under $300 new. I've seen good used .38 snubby's for barely over $300. There are a lot of other options out there, that are more reliable than the bottom end new guns. Sometimes when someone asks a question like this, it's because they are not aware of the other options that might be available to them.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Just me personally, but I'd rather spend a similar amount on a good quality, used firearm than a new one of questionable quality. There are some very nice used guns that come up fairly frequently that come in well under $500.
    That's a very good point and I've always used it in my responses to folks on a limited budget.

Nothing wrong at all with a gently used handgun. They can be a great buy.

This thread interested me enough to do some" interwebz " research which led me to the Smith and Wesson website, among others.

The new S&W SD9/SD40 pistols which are M&P clones, and far superior to their Sigma failures are selling for $389.00.

IMO, it couldn't get any better than that. S&W quality, made in USA, lifetime warranty.

What a great deal.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Hmmmmmmm? Why do you think that is? Maybe because so many people have come to realize that it is one of the simplest, dependable, easy to shoot handguns that is relatively inexpensive. Jackpot.
    Absolutely. Thats why I mentioned I own a few myself.

On a public forum, opinions vary. I dont think it is the intent of posters to degrade someone, and i believe many here have honest to goodness intentions, they are just giving their $.02 when it comes to a firearm. I value the opions of people here, that is why i frequent it so... i do not post often, but read every day. i have read forewarnings on inexpensive guns, purchased anyways, and have both regretted my decision to buy, as well as finding a piece i fell in love with... let posters be get as much information as they can get, and then let them make the decision... Bunker

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I agree with Glockman here. I'm not going to knock someone for buying what they buy. But when they come on the forum and ask for opinions and say they only have $300 to spend... $300 can get a decent used gun of better quality than some of the new ones that the OP is considering. I don't consider an LCP junk. I have one and have no problem with it. They can be had for under $300 new. I've seen good used .38 snubby's for barely over $300. There are a lot of other options out there, that are more reliable than the bottom end new guns. Sometimes when someone asks a question like this, it's because they are not aware of the other options that might be available to them.
    I am not considering a new firearm. There have just been a few people come on the form who are on a tight budget and want advice.

Another common prejudice is against used guns, particularly revolvers. I've seen many many good serviceable used S&W, Ruger, Taurus, and Charter revolvers at shows for under $250, sometimes way less. Sometimes the finish looks like heck, but when you check them out, they can be good and tight. Even an old loose Charter beats a rock. I've been there, I remember when $200 was a real reach, when the kids needed new clothes.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    I'm a gun snob for myself. I shoot Colts, Brownings and Sigs because I know the value of a good handgun. I have customers who cannot afford the $300 handgun or have the money to move from their crappy neighborhood. A HiPoint in 9mm is affordable for most of them and they work, are reasonably accurate, and lead to a sense of security that no rock or stick can give them. I bought one, used, just to see if it would work. Three hundred rounds of mixed ball and jhp's later and it was still going strong with no issues before I gave it away. There was a time when I would have laughed at the idea of anyone owning one of these but they do have their place. Not in my place but a place.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    To me firearms are a bit like wine. I don't drink wine under about 10 bucks a bottle, and I don't buy new guns under 500.00. Those are the cut off points in which value and reliability tend to drop off or headaches occur. Sorry you can rant all you want, I will never suggest a Taurus or Highpoint. Save cans, do something for a little extra dough to get something reliable.
    There are many guns under $500.00 that are reliable.

Of course, they don't have the "gun snob" appeal of the higher end guns....but they go bang just as often. Ever heard of Rock Island, Bersa, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Glock, Springfield....to name a few?

Like I said before, my goal is to always give someone the very best advice I can based on their needs, not mine. If someone decides they make a purchase on a lower end gun cause thats all they say they can afford, Im going to encourage them. If it gets them interested in shooting and trigger time, I know eventually they will want to try some kool aid once they get a sweet tooth, and then we can move on. But, not everyone will turn into the gun nut I am and only find utilitarian value in a gun. No big deal. I have learned not to make too much of an investment in someone elses issues unless they are ready.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    There are many guns under $500.00 that are reliable.

Of course, they don't have the "gun snob" appeal of the higher end guns....but they go bang just as often. Ever heard of Rock Island, Bersa, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Glock, Springfield....to name a few?
    Nope, never heard of any of those. Care to enlighten me further with your second post?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links