My rant!!! - Page 4

My rant!!!

This is a discussion on My rant!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Get the Hi-Point. Had a few, they were fine. And kinda fun, too. Besides, if you hate it, you can sell it for what you've ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My rant!!!

Get the Hi-Point. Had a few, they were fine. And kinda fun, too. Besides, if you hate it, you can sell it for what you've got in it. Go to their forum and lurk a little. Lot's of happy owners over there. Kel-Tec is also an excellent choice >$300. I'd be wary of used guns. I think half the time they are somebody else's headache. Friend told me once - Why would anyone sell a perfectly good gun? Made a lot of sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Mods please forgive me if this is wrong place please move.

We have had a few post in the past little while that asked for help.
    Basically the posters asked: "If I had this much money and had a choice between x or x which would you choose?"
    Most of the responses are: "Neither, I would save my money to get x."
    Sometimes Ladies and Gents it is not possible to wait to protect ourselves & we must live with the funds we have (unlike our government).
    I feel that sometimes we have people that come to us asking for advice and we degrade them by telling them they can't afford the firearm we think they should have.
    If I have the money to buy a High Point (and that is all the money I have) would you rather me wait another year to save for a higher priced firearm our would you want me to protect myself now?
    Sorry for the rant but I think DC is here to teach people how to protect themselves whether it be with a toothpick or a Glock.

Jeff
    I think many times we (those of us guilty of this ) probably tend to recommend what we currently might have or carry; and many of us have been blessed enough to be able to upgrade/buy what we want over the years. I'd say many of us didn't start out carrying that Sig, Wilson, Kahr, Kimber, etc. that we carry now and therefore recommend. Your post is a good reminder to me to remember where I came from/started with on my progression through my guns.

If a person states they have $300 to spend, then in all actuality they probably had to save up and have been working to get that, so it is pretty presumptuous of us to keep crying "save a little more". Especially in today’s economy.

And you are correct, a good CCW firearm can be found for a reasonable price these days, and I'd rather see them carry something than nothing, so we should recommend the best we can with what they have to work with.

My rant - Saying that someone puts/holds a lower price or value on their life just because they can't fork over an extra $100 is a pretty condescending and ignorant thing to say. That $100 may be what puts food on the table, gas in the car to get to work, etc.

Heck, even if I fork over the extra $100 or more the math still don't add up. So if I carry an ultimate Wilson 1911 worth $2,500, then I guess by that logic I only figure my life's worth $2,500. That line of thought is either really funny or just plain stupid.

Anyway, good thought provoking post jbum.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Basically the posters asked: "If I had this much money and had a choice between x or x which would you choose?"
    Sometimes Ladies and Gents it is not possible to wait to protect ourselves & we must live with the funds we have (unlike our government).
    I feel that sometimes we have people that come to us asking for advice and we degrade them by telling them they can't afford the firearm we think they should have.
    If I have the money to buy a High Point (and that is all the money I have) would you rather me wait another year to save for a higher priced firearm our would you want me to protect myself now?
    Sorry for the rant but I think DC is here to teach people how to protect themselves whether it be with a toothpick or a Glock.

Jeff
    While you bring up a very valid point, sometimes some of us can't help but offer suggestions that, for whatever reason we feel, may be better for the task at hand.

Now with that said I will admit to having a preference for certain firearms and nothing but distain for others. Even with loathing and distain for certain firearms, I could use them to defend myself if needed, as it's the indian and not the arrow. The "suggestions" are merely different arrows and sometimes someone feels that a certain arrow may be better suited to the task at hand that the original poster may not have considered.

Biker

Good topic: I think to simplify, all Jbum is trying to say is to try and exercise some humility and try and stick to the paramaters put forth by the person seeking guidance. I know 50 bucks more will get you a &%# or for a 100 bucks more you can have a *^@..... I see both points. Merry CHRISTmas to all!!!
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

I agree with the poster and i think it's funny that people did exactly what he was talking about in their response. Even is these people can afford a more expensive firearm then $300 maybe they just aren't as crazy(in a good way) about guns and we are or something less expensive can fit their needs. lets just give them advice. every one of those posts i see almost every single answer doesn't answer their question.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazeman2 View Post
    I agree with the poster and i think it's funny that people did exactly what he was talking about in their response. Even is these people can afford a more expensive firearm then $300 maybe they just aren't as crazy(in a good way) about guns and we are or something less expensive can fit their needs. lets just give them advice. every one of those posts i see almost every single answer doesn't answer their question.
    Good call on that one my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    If we are talking about someone so poor that they can't save up for a decent dependable firearm, then that is the least of their concerns. I think food and shelter would come first over a firearm. That is what you call the hierarchy of needs, sir.
    We may not be talking about someone that can take the time to save up. It may be a case of I have $250 today and can save another $250 in 6 months. They might say, "I feel that I need a firearm now." Do we feel comfortable telling them to wait six months? I mean it's not like poor people live in bad neighborhoods.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    We may not be talking about someone that can take the time to save up. It may be a case of I have $250 today and can save another $250 in 6 months. They might say, "I feel that I need a firearm now." Do we feel comfortable telling them to wait six months? I mean it's not like poor people live in bad neighborhoods.
    That may be the case and my heart would go out to that person, but as I mentioned in my post in which you quoted, if you are that type shape the hierarchy of needs comes into play before a want of a gun. You may want to save money for food and shelter and make a knife out of something.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    If someone is really short on cash, then they should not be looking to buy a brand new firearm. If you were cash strapped and looking for a car, would you limit yourself to looking only for brand new cars? No, of course not.

The best value is always going to be in a used gun. Now shopping for a used gun takes a lot more time and effort. So it does have that disadvantage. But the advantage is that you will end up with the maximum value in terms of the quality of the handgun for your dollar. You just need to put more effort into looking. But if you are patient, you can eventually find some outstanding deals.

I think people are just giving you good advice based upon experience. There are many times I wish I was more patient and saved more money to get a better firearm rather than settling on a cheaper model, back when I was younger and money was harder to come by.

Jeff
    If I could only afford a HiPoint, then I'd look into getting a really good knife and some OC.

Lets face it. Those who feel that a gun budget of 300.00 is cheap will ALWAYS feel that way. Not talking bad about anyone but truth is truth.

There are some people that will tell you that you should wait no matter what. Doesn't make them bad people. Just shows you someone else's opinion. And its just that, an opinion.

If you feel the immediate need for a gun and you know you only got the money thats in your pocket saved up, you will find something for what you got in your pocket. And no matter how many people tell you to wait to get that bettter gun thats ONLY 150.00 more, those words will not put that extra money in your pocket or the feeling/knowledge that you need a gun right then.

So, to some, lets be more understanding. And to others, let grow a little thinker skin.

That is all.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I think people are just giving you good advice based upon experience. There are many times I wish I was more patient and saved more money to get a better firearm rather than settling on a cheaper model, back when I was younger and money was harder to come by.
    I was going to chime in and say something just like this.

When asked by someone if Turd A is better than Turd B the obvious answer is neither.

Unless the only gun you can afford is a High Point then there are quality guns out there in most price ranges, Bersa comes to mind. But just because a Bersa is a decent gun and a nice value doesn't make it a Glock/Sig/Karh/whatever.
    I've argued with SIXTO plenty about this and once I even called him a snob. Now I''ve come to agree with him. "If you buy for price then you'll buy twice."
    IMO it's better to hold off and get a top tier firearm rather than buying a "stop gap" weapon. The difference between crap and awesome is usually only a couple tanks of gas and two nights out at the bar.

Life is about priorities. If your priority is self defense then skipping a few nights out is the logical choice.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    To me firearms are a bit like wine. I don't drink wine under about 10 bucks a bottle, and I don't buy new guns under 500.00. Those are the cut off points in which value and reliability tend to drop off or headaches occur. Sorry you can rant all you want, I will never suggest a Taurus or Highpoint. Save cans, do something for a little extra dough to get something reliable.
    That qualifies as one of the dumbest things that I have ever read on the internet.

Nothing wrong with suggesting a good used firearm as apposed to the higher dollar NEW one, or the toothpick.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links