My rant!!!

This is a discussion on My rant!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by C hawk Glock To me firearms are a bit like wine. I don't drink wine under about 10 bucks a bottle, and ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: My rant!!!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    To me firearms are a bit like wine. I don't drink wine under about 10 bucks a bottle, and I don't buy new guns under 500.00. Those are the cut off points in which value and reliability tend to drop off or headaches occur. Sorry you can rant all you want, I will never suggest a Taurus or Highpoint. Save cans, do something for a little extra dough to get something reliable.
    ..... Sorry dude, but I have plenty of $300 firearms that can easily get anyone tagged and bagged. When it comes to firearms it's the design and quality of manufacturing that counts not the materialistic value. Personally, I have several firearms that cost way more than the $500 limit you place on a quality weapon. What do I carry daily and absolutely trust my life to; a $350 LCR and a $300 Taurus 650 .357, not to mention the $250 Mossberg 12ga in my trunk. As BA would say; I pity the fool who ever tries to question their reliability.

Sorry, just watched the A Team on PPV.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

I am not a snob when buying anything. I don't buy anything to impress other people; I buy it because it impresses me.
    If I buy a car, I am going to drive it. If I buy a gun, I am going to shoot it.
    My first carry gun was a charter arms "undercover 38", which I bought from a sheriff. He carried it for 3 years as his BUG and off duty. He had the springs changed. It shot very well when I tried it and bought it. Was alot cheaper than a smith and went bang every time I shot it. And, I estimate I shot 2000 rounds thru it.
    I now have a "cheap" ( as said above) smith 642. It also goes bang every time. It ain't pretty, but functions flawlessly. AN assailant would be just as dead if he was shot with a smith, charter, ruger, rossi, or whatever. Before y'all climb all over me fore saying that, let me say something about me. I am an Electronics Engineering type. We manufacture stuff for the consumer and gov't markets. What is the difference between a common integrated circuit (IC) used in areospace and one going into a kids toy (Or your TV set)? The testing. All are made in SInapore or malasia. If teh govt contract calls for 100 IC to mil spec, they get 1000 of the line and test the hell out of them. They will exceed the specs and blow up a few just to see what it takes. then torture them. The 100 which work the best go to the order. Someone pays for this, but the contract calls for the MW option (must work).
    Now for guns. I try out new guns. Then I put several hunderd rounds thru them with an excess of lube in them to break them in. Then clean and use teh proper amount of oil.Then put another 100 or so thru them. Then

Yes, a more expensive gun will have a better finish and possibly a better fit. However, If I had to use it in self defense, would a BG be any more dead if I shot him with a smith, charter, or Taurus? ( That is given the same ammo and hit in the same COM.)
    I am not a snob when buying things. I do not buy "expensive" things to impress others. I buy it because it impresses me with its performance.
    I have carried a Charter Arms 38 back in the late 60s and early 70s. I bought it from a Sheriff who had the trigger worked and springs replaced. The cylinder was tight and stayed that way after 200 shots. ( He bought a model 19 2 1/2" for a BUG. His agency specified carrying .357)
    When buying a new gun, I shoot 300 shots thru it with a surplus of oil in it to break it in. Then clean it and 100 more. If it gets thru this, I feel that it will go bang when I NEED it. I now have a "cheap" (as stated above) Smith 642 I carry. And, I trust it.
    The most important thing is, of course, reliability. i believe that as much as I shoot my guns, I would know if they are not reliable enough. This is acheived thru maintenance ( and practice)
    Besides, its very hard to screw up a revolver.
    Money buys quality? Maybe. However, didn't Walther have a recall on its famous PPK a couple of years back? Smith with its Bodygard series? Seig Sauer on its clone of the Mustang (238)?
    Rossi and Taurus are made on the equipment in Brazil which S&W left there after forfilling a large contract. Thats why the original 85 looks a lot like the smith J-frame. Would I carry a TAURUS? Yes, but only after my testing as outlined above.
    One final take on price=quality. Theres a manufacturer of sun tan oil here in Florida called Hawaiian Tropic. He was a lifegard with a degree in chemistry. He developed the stuff to allow lifegards to be in the sun for long times without burning. He formed a business and marketed it thru hotels and beachside stands. He started by working in his garage, using off duty lifegards for labor, and delivering it hemself in his van. he nearly went bankrupt. He hired a marketing expert. The people, thru lack of knowledge, did not trust it because it was "cheaper". The competition was selling for $2 more. The marketing guy told him to raise the price to just above the others. He is a multimillionaire now.
    So, if say, Taurus or charger doubled their price, would you now trust them?
    Setting a dollar limit without knowing how efficiently it is manufactured is fraught with peril....
    Remember, that in the 70s, a Toyota was a better built and more reliable car than the US manufacturers; They were also less expensive.

drw
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If you are that broke that the difference in a 150.00 dollar gun and a 300.00 gun is that big, than you have nothing no one wants to steal anyway.
    Really, at what income level are you allowed to protect yourself and family from preditors like rapests, and pedifiles.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    ..... Sorry dude, but I have plenty of $300 firearms that can easily get anyone tagged and bagged. When it comes to firearms it's the design and quality of manufacturing that counts not the materialistic value. Personally, I have several firearms that cost way more than the $500 limit you place on a quality weapon. What do I carry daily and absolutely trust my life to; a $350 LCR and a $300 Taurus 650 .357, not to mention the $250 Mossberg 12ga in my trunk. As BA would say; I pity the fool who ever tries to question their reliability.

Sorry, just watched the A Team on PPV.
    No disrespect, but I quit reading your post when you put Taurus and trust your life in the same sentence! I guess we will just agree to disagree on this thread.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Mods please forgive me if this is wrong place please move.

We have had a few post in the past little while that asked for help.
    Basically the posters asked: "If I had this much money and had a choice between x or x which would you choose?"
    Most of the responses are: "Neither, I would save my money to get x."
    Sometimes Ladies and Gents it is not possible to wait to protect ourselves & we must live with the funds we have (unlike our government).
    I feel that sometimes we have people that come to us asking for advice and we degrade them by telling them they can't afford the firearm we think they should have.
    If I have the money to buy a High Point (and that is all the money I have) would you rather me wait another year to save for a higher priced firearm our would you want me to protect myself now?
    Sorry for the rant but I think DC is here to teach people how to protect themselves whether it be with a toothpick or a Glock.

Jeff
    Sorry, came in late, this is a mild rant, but I agree with you my friend. Buy what you can afford now for self-protection and trade up later. To leave yourself unprotected because neither suits you right now is well it's just plain ignorance talking in my ivew. I also agree that we seem to have to many folks that forget where they came from and don't bother to look out for the newbies. Now, that's a dang shame in my book.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    [QUOTE=C hawk Glock;1831115]No disrespect, but I quit reading your post when you put Taurus and trust your life in the same sentence! I guess we will just agree to disagree on this thread.[/QUOT

I will agree to disagree with you then also.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

High Point will save you life ,and give you peace of mind untill you can get a .357.
    Maverick model 88 12ga. tactical pump will work even better.
    $150 to $200 dollars
    Some people on here are gun snobs who have never been OLD,
    and lived in a run down Hood!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links